Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter Comp in Mastercam

KLP1190

Howdy,

I had a quick question for the forum. I apologize if this isn't in the right place.

I am currently working on a really simple part at work. Each part has 2 thru-holes drilled in it and then the outline is contoured. I am trying to get my cutter comp in the control. When I set my cutter comp to the control in parameters and verify my operations all of the parts are gouged. I have tried playing with my lead in and lead out values but I am still getting a few parts that are gouging.

Any one have any tips for me?

I can post screen shots if someone needs to see what I am working with.

Thanks in advance.

I am also a big fan of wear, however i may have another solution. I cant recall if X5 has the option, but if you want to turn on comp above the hole, cut the hole then retract out prior to turning comp back off you can do so with a check box located on the lead in/out page.

Look for 2 check boxes on the lead in/out page. The check boxes are called Plunge after first move and retract after last move. This allows comp to be turned on above the feature and off above the feature.

I wonder if this is just an X5 issue... the problem I saw was the cutter raising up and down in Z at the midpoints of the contour... I'm in X9 and I do not have access to X5 anymore... so I re-chained and re-generated everything and it works fine for me now.

I used "Control" comp for years without issue... never saw this problem.

Try chaining only one contour and see if that corrects it.

I wonder if this is just an X5 issue... the problem I saw was the cutter raising up and down in Z at the midpoints of the contour... I'm in X9 and I do not have access to X5 anymore... so I re-chained and re-generated everything and it works fine for me now.

Ditto, but I use X8.

Here is a suggestion so that you don't have to plunge into the plate... under Cut Parameters, try ramp with a depth and make pass at final depth... and under Lead in/Out, check the box to Retract Before Last Move.

That will avoid a plunge straight into the material... and a full width cut exiting the material.

To use cutter comp in control.. set your line lead in to perpendicular and make sure the percentage for bot line and arc lead in and out is a minimum of 50% of the cutter diameter.

This should eliminate gouging.. the reason is that when the control turns on comp it needs to move the cutter half the diameter of the cutter to get into position, setting your lead in out as I suggest above will create a path that allows it to do that without gouging..

the reason is that when the control turns on comp it needs to move the cutter half the diameter of the cutter to get into position, setting your lead in out as I suggest above will create a path that allows it to do that without gouging..

Not *always* true, but generally a good rule to follow.

As many others have stated, wear comp is really the way to go.

He said he wants to use control comp.. I understand people probably just want to help, but why do people insist on showing how to do it with wear.. a lot of machines WILL NOT run with wear comp without serious tweaks.. and some shops don't use wear..

The shop I am has mostly Mazak's that had legacy programs using control comp going back years when I started .. there was no option but to learn to use control comp.. and answers like the ones above just drove me crazy..

I feel like its essentially like someone asking how to make an apple pie.. and everyone saying.. well you don't really want apple pie.. here is a recipe for chocolate cake..

Use the method I described above to actually use control comp..

One of your parts is getting gouged by the tool leading into another part next to it.

If you have to have the parts nested that close together, you can use the option of having the tool feed down to Z depth AFTER the lead in.

Changing the start point will fix this. 

So will changing the lead in/out values.

And of course, dropping in Z after comp is turned on IF your control will allow that.

• 4 weeks later...

[]i actually currently still use X5 and all I did was changed your start location and it took away the gouging of the parts.

I also put in a ramp so that it wasn't plunging, not sure if you are ok with it just plunging.

picture of my results post-48587-0-26874900-1441309988_thumb.jpg

this was all done just by clicking on geometry and re-chaining the parts, from a different location