Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

anyone programming a haas umc 750?

we are looking into getting one of these in the near future.

I know mc has a post for it.

most of the videos ive seen on this machine (even on the haas site)

don't utilize it at all to its potential.it seems they use it mainly for positioning and maybe chamfers at odd angles.

we want to use it for simultaneous multi axis contouring.

just curious if any of you guys had any feedback on this particular machine or how mc handles programming it on complex parts.

• Like 2

If you get the post from CNC Software, you'll have no issues. Now, on this particular topic, I'm pretty biased. Mostly because I put a lot of work into that specific post, so I know you'll be in good hands if you get a copy.

It will handle simultaneous 5X machining utilizing TCP, which is essentially "dynamic tool length compensation". I'm not sure if they ever implemented "3D Comp" yet, but it should handle that as well, but might need some tweaks. It also has DWO, Dynamic Work Offset, which is pretty sweet for doing 3+2 work.

The main limitation of that machine is just the build quality itself. Yes, it is a nice 5X machine, but it doesn't have the "built-in" precision of a high-end 5X. Since the rotaries are "unlocked" during simultaneous work, you'll have to see what you can get away with for accuracy and repeatability.

I can say with confidence though, that the post won't be an issue.

• Like 2

I went to a orientation meeting on the machine at a Haas dealer. The first part went thru all the changes they made as compared to a 5 axis table on a VF machine, the software changes, and the way the probe works at setting up the machine and calibrates the parts. From there we went thru the way the machine operates in 3 + 2 and full multi-axis machining. No matter where you set a WO, it knows where its at, at all times. Just as it should. The setup procedure is simplified from the was a Fanuc does it. You still need to understand how to visualize a point in 3d space so you know how to program a part, but it is a lot easier then I imanaged.

The SS version is the one I would look at. It comes loaded for the most part, but still needs a couple of add on's.

Figure about 215000 to get started, plus a post, and some on site training to tie it all together.

Look at the Haas site and add it up.

As to accuracy, that you will have to judge for yourself. It looks good but I'd want to see one in action, live.

Machineguy

thanks.

this is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

we don't need to do anyhing screaming fast as we do single and small lot prototypes in my shop.

we are all very familiar and comfortable with the haas control as we have several verticals here.

I know what your saying about the construction of the machine though.

I ran a haas horizontal for some time and did some pretty heavy work on it.

we had to remove the way covers from around the table once only to find out there was a small haas rotary  as the a axis!

I've got a customer who uses one. It is the first five axis machine they have ever bought, and they jumped in feet first.

They're very happy with it, but they're really only using it for 3+2 at the moment. They need to purchase more software to step up to the 5 axis plate.

Vericut also has a dialled machine and control for that machine. I've tested it, and it works great.

post-961-0-62016200-1463516118_thumb.jpg

I am running one, 2014 model. I've done 4 axis machining, but not full 5 axis. I can't say as to the accuracy as what I was doing was not critical, the 4 axis machining part of the program was just cosmetic really. We got our post and machine sim from postability(?). I have had some problems with the machine sim and was told it was something that was being worked on, although I have not used the sim in a while so not sure if that got fixed. Nothing was wrong with the post, it worked fine, but sometimes the sim would show something goofy. The programming in MC is pretty straightforward for 4 axis and 3+2, not done full 5 as I said so i can't say how the 5 axis programming is. My post activates the G234 and G254 where/when needed so you can set your part up pretty much anywhere on the table, but be aware it affects tool lengths. I.E. if your part is on the extreme corner and you need to get to all 5 sides, one side the Z will be toward the high limit, and the opposite side will be at the low limit. I have a 5th axis vise and riser 'keyed' to the table so my parts stay pretty well centered anyways... One more thing, the OTS can not do really short tools, anything under about 3.25" gage length. Something to consider when buying toolholders. I use alot of 1/8" and 1/8" shank tools so I can't set any of my tools using an 1/8" or 3/16" solid holder (standard length holder), which also means I can't use the tool break check routine on them.  :thumbdown:

One more thing, the OTS can not do really short tools, anything under about 3.25" gage length. Something to consider when buying toolholders. I use alot of 1/8" and 1/8" shank tools so I can't set any of my tools using an 1/8" or 3/16" solid holder (standard length holder), which also means I can't use the tool break check routine on them.   :thumbdown:

Make a riser for the OTS and re-calibrate  

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

@Mark,

Matsuura 5-Axis Machines, Matsuura HMC's, Haas UMC-750, a few Haas VMC's with Rotary Tables, Hermele 5-Axis machines, FANUC Robodrills, Mikron 5-Axis (I believe), there is one more manufacturer that escapes me at the moment... high-end Japanese sold by Methods.

That's what I can divulge.

Mastercam out does not change except for a couple extra lines of output to initialize the offset in the control. Mine are all triggered by misc integers which is all handled in the post. As far as Mastercam knows you part is perfectly on COR.

• 3 weeks later...

just started using one about a year ago love it . the post and the sim works great, first timer here and I was able to get the 3+2 going on pretty quickly first time operator/machinist also was able to get his head around it fairly fast ,another great thing is that it runs all the other has programs fine, a great addition to the shop IMOP, I attached the set up I designed to make setups a bit quicker for what its worth an idea or two you all may or may not like

Haas UMC-750 sub plate.Z2G

• Like 2

just started using one about a year ago love it . the post and the sim works great, first timer here and I was able to get the 3+2 going on pretty quickly first time operator/machinist also was able to get his head around it fairly fast ,another great thing is that it runs all the other has programs fine, a great addition to the shop IMOP, I attached the set up I designed to make setups a bit quicker for what its worth an idea or two you all may or may not like

What post are you running ?

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2017 at 5:38 PM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

@Mark,

Matsuura 5-Axis Machines, Matsuura HMC's, Haas UMC-750, a few Haas VMC's with Rotary Tables, Hermele 5-Axis machines, FANUC Robodrills, Mikron 5-Axis (I believe), there is one more manufacturer that escapes me at the moment... high-end Japanese sold by Methods.

That's what I can divulge.

James,

We just bought another MX-520 and just today I also found out we're adding TR160 to one of our Haas VF4ss. Where do I get the Camplete setup for this machine? Do I contact Camplete direct?

TIA

• Like 1