Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

45 chamfer tool leaving a burr

Thad

I'm a die guy so I make tooling, not finished product parts that we sell. I don't often have to deal with using a chamfering tool where it matters. For the times that I want/need to use one, we have a 1 flute Hertel 45 degree insert cutter. Whenever I use it it leaves a burr. Is this a crappy cutter or is this to be expected? Leaving a burr with a chamfering tool seems counterproductive.

I have a short production run of parts (these are finished product parts) coming up that require chamfers, surface finish callouts, etc. I'd like to run around it with the chamfer tool and be done. As it stands, I'd have to hit it with a file after machining to take off the sharp edges, potentially scratching/marking up the nice finish required.

I bought some Harvey solid carbide 45 cutters that will hopefully give me a nice chamfered edge with no burr.

EDIT: These are profile chamfers with a contour toolpath, not a drilling cycle to chamfer a hole.

Comments?

• Like 2

I would not be surprised if it's the Hertel brand itself

Yeah, that wasn't my choice, especially not the one flute. I've only got 8000 RPMs. One day my boss came in and said, "Here, I got you a chamfering tool."

I'm wondering if it's chamfering insert tools in general...as opposed to solid carbide. I don't remember the brands, but other shops where I worked, they weren't much better and they were all insert tools. Maybe just a coincidence, I don't know. It didn't matter though since an apprentice was going to go crazy on it with a 90 grinder anyway.