Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2017 Update 2

gcode

has been released

It addresses the Tool Manager crash that has plagued some people

there are several ways to install it

do nothing .. at some point Mastercam will tell you an update is available

download and install it from Mastercam.com

or

Start/ALL Programs/Mastercam 2017/Check for updates

the same procedure also applies to MCfSW 2017

• Like 1

has been released

It addresses the Tool Manager crash that has plagued some people

there are several ways to install it

do nothing .. at some point Mastercam will tell you an update is available

download and install it from Mastercam.com

or

Start/ALL Programs/Mastercam 2017/Check for updates

the same procedure also applies to MCfSW 2017

Has it fixed the +D+Z issue, or is that still fritzed?

You'd laugh if I told you where I was posting this from.... :)

Has it fixed the +D+Z issue, or is that still fritzed?

You'd laugh if I told you where I was posting this from.... :)

No it only addresses the Tool Manager crash.

There is nothing funny about software so complex you half to fly half way around the world to learn to use it. :harhar:

Of course when you live in New Zealand, you have to fly half way around the world to do just about anything  :harhar:  :laughing:

• Like 1

There is nothing funny about software so complex you half to fly half way around the world to learn to use it. :harhar:

Of course when you live in New Zealand, you have to fly half way around the world to do just about anything  :harhar:  :laughing:

It's a shame - the timing thing - I was going to jump on a train and shoot down there to have a beer with him.

But we can't do it this time.

I'm sure they'll be a next time.

LOL, but when the features it provides fill your suitcase, the baggage charges are worth it. Back at ya... LOL

Thank gawd. 2017 has been the most unproductive, unreliable hunk of sh!t since X3. Yes the tool manager bug was that bad.

For some people the Tool Manager crash was a nightmare

for others, it never happened.. pretty weird, but it is what it is.

The good news is that as far as I know, Update 2 has fixed this issue for everybody

It's a shame - the timing thing - I was going to jump on a train and shoot down there to have a beer with him.

But we can't do it this time.

I'm sure they'll be a next time.

There definitely will be. I'll be back here, either for work or vacation, or both :)

• Like 1

For some people the Tool Manager crash was a nightmare

for others, it never happened.. pretty weird, but it is what it is.

The good news is that as far as I know, Update 2 has fixed this issue for everybody

I was a nightmare. All 6 of our milling seats had this issue. If you were working off established libraries, you were safe. If you had to create a tool, you would make damn sure you saved before you did it. Update 1 was supposed to address this issue, time will tell if update 2 actually does.

2017 should of never been released before this fix. I hate to be that kind of critic, and people say "it only happened sometimes to some people", but when it happened all the time across 6 seats and people ask the guy who installed it (me) why...you get the idea of my frustration. It's no exaggeration to say that hours and hours of productivity were lost.

Ok vent over. I do like the new interface, to the point where I did suffer through the crashes for the past month or two.

I was a nightmare. All 6 of our milling seats had this issue. If you were working off established libraries, you were safe. If you had to create a tool, you would make damn sure you saved before you did it. Update 1 was supposed to address this issue, time will tell if update 2 actually does.

2017 should of never been released before this fix. I hate to be that kind of critic, and people say "it only happened sometimes to some people", but when it happened all the time across 6 seats and people ask the guy who installed it (me) why...you get the idea of my frustration. It's no exaggeration to say that hours and hours of productivity were lost.

Ok vent over. I do like the new interface, to the point where I did suffer through the crashes for the past month or two.

I too dealt with this....update 1 did fix it for some, but not all, not me for sure....

We installed the update this morning and I have been running on the drivers released with this patch for few weeks and have suffered no further crashes

We have 5 seats here, I was the only one that had the issue

2017 should of never been released before this fix. ...

My understanding was that it was not a large number of users that encountered this issue. Besides the guys in here (myself included) that experienced it, I did not know any others that did. So, I respectfully disagree. They can't hold up a release for something like this. Believe me, I have flagged a bug that stopped a release. I don't think this rose to that level.

IMHO of course. :cheers:

My understanding was that it was not a large number of users that encountered this issue. Besides the guys in here (myself included) that experienced it, I did not know any others that did. So, I respectfully disagree. They can't hold up a release for something like this. Believe me, I have flagged a bug that stopped a release. I don't think this rose to that level.

I think I have got a few of those also, but like many others I never seen this issue on 3 different OS on 12 different systems. I have seen others and got numbers, bot not this one time.

My understanding was that it was not a large number of users that encountered this issue. Besides the guys in here (myself included) that experienced it, I did not know any others that did. So, I respectfully disagree. They can't hold up a release for something like this. Believe me, I have flagged a bug that stopped a release. I don't think this rose to that level.

Yes.. they get very unhappy when you submit a show stopper... 2 days before the planned release date :laughing:  :laughing:

Yeah, when you hit <Alt>, then to get into toolpaths you hit <J> <M>.

Access keys in 2017 take way more keystrokes than in X9, and were selected expressly to not make sense.  For example, in X9 one of my most used toolpaths is <Alt> <T> <F> <F>, for Alt Toolpaths Finish Flowline.  Makes sense and takes four keystrokes and about a quarter of a second.  In 2017 it's <Alt> <J> <M> <F> <F> <L>, which stands for what exactly?  I seriously want to know what was going through their heads when they thought this was a good idea.

Face, X9: <Alt> <T> <A>

Face, 2017: <Alt> <J> <M> <D> <F>

Contour, X9: <Alt> <T> <C>

Contour, 2017: <Alt> <J> <M> <D> <C>

Drill, X9: <Alt> <T> <D>

Drill, 2017: <Alt> <J> <M> <D> <H> <D> - WTF?!  What's the "H" supposed to stand for?

Really, since toolpathing is the primary purpose of Mastercam, why did they make access to the Toolpath menu more difficult?

Since most of us are professional users for whom time is money, why did they make it slower to use?

Because the marketing department wanted eye candy, that's why.

And yes, the survey I posted here did show that more people find 2017 slower than X9.
  • Like 3