Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mouse vs Trackball

DTHOMSON

I use both spaceball and optical wireless mouse.

My only wish with the spaceball, is that you don't have to "click" it off to continue your work. curse.gif For example, if you are changing colors on surfaces, you can use your spaceball to rotate the part, but then either click in black space or double click on the intended surface. At times, this can be a nusiance. cuckoo.gif

But, all in all, I like the freedom of a wireless optical mouse and the spaceball. cheers.gif

• 19 years later...

19 years later...

1 hour ago, 5AXIS505 said:

I use a Logitech Ergo and absolutely love it. It was a bit of an adjustment to get used to the trackball but I find its faster and far more comfortable.

:lol:

:hrhr:

:harhar:

I tried a trackball once. Couldn't stand it. Mouse in left hand, 10-key or space mouse in right. 

• Haha 1

Well. If we're gonna roll with the necro, lol.

I have been a proponent of the CADMouse since it was released. Incredible quality, and nothing beats a true middle mouse button, plus wheel. I have them at home and at work, one got replaced for free at the ~3 year mark with 8+ hours daily use.

Used those trackballs a few times. Never got to like them. Same with the SpacePilot lineup, I tried in 3D modelling, tried in CAD. I don't know that it is faster than camera controls (shift+middle mouse, alt+a, etc.), because you aren't modifying geo or calling commands on the keyboard while you rotate the viewport. Or do you 3D mouse jockeys double-fist and perform actions while you pan around?

On 8/8/2023 at 2:34 PM, 5AXIS505 said:

I use a Logitech Ergo and absolutely love it. It was a bit of an adjustment to get used to the trackball but I find its faster and far more comfortable.

I also have a Logitech Ergo trackball and also love it. When I was getting into the trade the journeyman I worked with was a big CAD/CAM guy. We had two workstations next to one another during the time we worked together, he used Mastercam 9 while I was using X6. He had a trackball and I couldn't stand the sight of them back then, so I used to pick on him for it. At some point during our debates he recommended that I get one sooner rather than later and gave me the most valuable advice that is still, to this day, the greatest advice I've ever been given during all my years in the shop: "It'll keep the r*tards off your computer." (Pardon my language, it was a different time back then.)

Now when I come into work and someone complains about having tried to get onto my computer (and failing) my retort is always "Trackball don't lie."

• Haha 1