Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam prime turning

Frankieboy

1 minute ago, jeff said:

Ok, downloaded and installed. Looks good.

The next question is how much can we push these tools? The ReadMe didn't really specify, do I find that info from Sandvik?

There is some data on Sandvik's website

• Like 1

I'm interested in people's results with this. Curious if it's all they claim and how much we can push these toolpaths.

The Sandvik website claims .047/rev at .120" d.o.c. using a strategy similar to that of a high feed mill with a big lead angle it seems.

i installed the add-on and tried to make a few toolpaths . 

se attached mcam file  , and picture 

isnt it possible to mak a a zig zag toolpath ?  , so that the tool goes forward and back without retracts ? 

on the sandvik website i see that to tool is designed to go in both directions 

i can make it go forward og backward , but not zig zag 

prime-test.mcam

Udklip.PNG

On 6/16/2017 at 3:01 PM, jeff said:

Ok, downloaded and installed. Looks good.

The next question is how much can we push these tools? The ReadMe didn't really specify, do I find that info from Sandvik?

I have run the "B" type tool, on EN9 steel at 275mtrs/min rpm`s, 3mm depth of cut, and 1mm/rev, the tool cut for 34 mins, abd i could not see any wear on the edge.

Interestingly, i have tried the C hook, but got the error that i needed to use a coroplus prime tool, How can you import into lathe ?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, compressor sam said:

I have run the "B" type tool, on EN9 steel at 275mtrs/min rpm`s, 3mm depth of cut, and 1mm/rev, the tool cut for 34 mins, abd i could not see any wear on the edge.

Interestingly, i have tried the C hook, but got the error that i needed to use a coroplus prime tool, How can you import into lathe ?

You don't have to import it... the chook installs the Prime tool libraries. Just look in there for your tool.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Mick said:

At least your rep visits....

Sandvik Coromant service here has gone right down the toilet bowl :(

My boss takes our rep on fishing trips, so he comes to our shop whenever we call him lol.

Needless to say, we get very good service from our Sandvik rep.

18 hours ago, Frankieboy said:

isnt it possible to mak a a zig zag toolpath ?  , so that the tool goes forward and back without retracts ? 

prime-test.mcam

Udklip.PNG

It is designed to go in both directions, yes. That's what the alternate paths are for. But not a zig-zag path.

On 6/17/2017 at 4:04 AM, Frankieboy said:

prime-test.mcam

Udklip.PNG

The tools are not designed to do Zig-Zag motion. This path is all about using the Lead Angle of the Tool in a 'high-feed' scenario.

Take the Tool shown in the Operation dialog picture. It is designed to cut horizontally, only in the Z+ direction. If you are cutting "the other way", then it can only cut in the X+ direction.

The only way to successfully Zig Zag with this tool would be to have a B-Axis lathe, where you could index (rotate) the holder. In other words, flip the tool upside down.

The issue with doing that is holder clearance.

This tool is just not designed to Zig-Zag. The advantage to this tool should be that you can triple your feeds. 

Interesting concept, wonder why nobody else invented this before. I get good roughing results with a round insert using zigzag motion (chip thinnig effect comes to play here too), but this takes it to a whole new level. How does it compare to turning with for example a common DNMG insert and adjusting the lead angle (using B-axis etc) to make it fit for high feed turning? Is this toolpath usable for machines with limited memory? I fould the new dynamic turning feature in 2017 unfit for use in our shop because the code nearly always came out too big.

I suppose tailstock and claw jaws are a must for heavy roughing..

6 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

Interesting concept, wonder why nobody else invented this before. I get good roughing results with a round insert using zigzag motion (chip thinnig effect comes to play here too), but this takes it to a whole new level. How does it compare to turning with for example a common DNMG insert and adjusting the lead angle (using B-axis etc) to make it fit for high feed turning? Is this toolpath usable for machines with limited memory? I fould the new dynamic turning feature in 2017 unfit for use in our shop because the code nearly always came out too big.

I suppose tailstock and claw jaws are a must for heavy roughing..

i have had the same thoughts about DNMG ( or a positive 55 deg insert  )   adjusted so that upper and lower lead angle is the same

and using a rather big nose rad. so that i dont get problems with chips up the insert 

on my Integrex i will try this next time i have an approiate job .