Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

10 posts free

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

You guys ever read the full document before clicking 'I Agree'? Like the one when you agreed to when you signed up for the Forum, or the one you agreed to to run Mastercam for the first time

Nope, never read a complete one, but I know if somethings in there I bypass and I get flamed then its 100% my fault banghead.gif

quote:

Maybe...just maybe..if someone asks for a post and you don't want to give them one, then don't respont to the thread.

NO FUN, something has to break monoteny(SP?)

quote:

or stay late nights and play around with the software; we did.

Can I get an AMEN to that my brother biggrin.gif

Although we are here to help, I know I have asked some stupid questions, However I think people should at least know some basics like Icons where the Screen- Configs are.But they gotta learn somewhere I guess. wink.gif

quote:

And I think Peter hit the nail on the head. If you dont like the question, or think it's stupid, it is possible NOT to respond to it.

I beg to differ a little on this one.

Look how many replied to your "using your real name" thread.

Some got a little offensive on the subject.

I think for most,it is very hard "not to reply" on certain topics.

just my 2c

Jimmy,

"WE'RE NOT WORTHY!! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!!" Where's those "bowing" smilies when you want'em? biggrin.gif

Dave's right. People have got to know when they sign up for something, or pay for something, there's always something to read first. That's been true even before the invention of the computer. No one just buys a bicycle for their child and instinctively knows how to put it together. There are instructions. Whether they read the instructions or not is up to them. I don't ever read instructions but that's because I have an inborn knowledge of how things work or how they go together. biggrin.gif Sort of like Jimmy. biggrin.gif

I like Rekd's idea of having a script for new members at least point them in the right direction. Just like the license agreement pops up when you start Mastercam for the first time. If they post a topic worthy of flaming after reading the disclaimers and 10 posts, it's their own fault. Then let the games begin. flame.gifbiggrin.gifcheers.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

So Chris, you are telling me I can not send my beginning students to learn and get help late at night when they are playing with Demo or there apprenticeship seat. Because that may ask such a simple questions?

Jay

It is certainly not my place to tell you anything. You were here before me, are a more proficient user than I am, and are a very important member of the group; of that I'm sure there will be NO disagreement.

I have no problem with people asking questions that are [somewhat] simple; I just want them to put some effort into it first. When we first got Mastercam here we 'didn't have the funding' for training so they just told us to figure it out. We did the best we could and spent a ton of time after work and on the weekend doing parts and tutorials and reading page after page of MC Help topics. I have still never spent a day training on MC Lathe and consider myself to be a very proficient user because I worked at it.

I am a staunch believer in sweat equity and will spend hours trying to help another forum member who I think rates it, as some guys here can attest.

I just don't like first-timers looking for the easy way out is all.

No attitude; just the view from my house

C

quote:

New Users Please Read - Forum Rules & Guidelines

It is unreasonable to expect a pirate who has just stolen a copy of Mastercam to abide by the rules when he comes here looking for a free post.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

There is no good way to tell if a new poster is

a legitimate user or a thief. I'm sure we have run off more than one legitimate user in our zeal to flame pirates. I'm also sure some of our regular and accepted memmbers are in fact running bootleg Mastercam.

Short of extreme membership requirements to join there is no good way to stop this. Requiring

conclusive proof of ownership to join would put a heavy burden on Webby and probably result in an anuual membership fee.

As an individual who as bought and maintains a copy of Mastercam on my own dime, I dislike pirates as much as anyone. I do think we need to

be a little slower with the flamethrower when some

FNG walks in the door looking for a post.

I didn't read the guidelines and rules when I joined either.

Chris thanks for a good reply.

I have to say I do respect your thoughts on this.

I started with help from other's and did not have schooling either.

But I do tell my students there are no such thing as a dumb question when you don't know.

But I agree,At least take some time to look before asking.

(It is certainly not my place to tell you anything.) Chris you can tell me any thing you want, I then can decide to go by it or not.

It's good, I am not alwas right that is for sure.

(You were here before me) I really don't seeing this matters, I know by being here in the beggning you do get some respect for it.

But I go more by how much do I help then by how long.

(and are a very important member of the group;)

I feel the same about you and lot of the others.

Thaks jay

[ 02-24-2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: cadcam, From Precision Programming ]

Chris,

Have you ever considered moving to Canada? We sure could use someone here with your work ethic, panache and plain old manufacturing appitude.

I'll even sponsor your immigration papers if we get that far - just claim that you are fleeing an opressive regime and the rest is easy.

Maannnnn,

and here I thought Jimmy was going to give us all 10 free - custom posts he personally wrote just for each of our applications!

Oh well, let the flame.gif wars discussion continue! smile.gif

One thing - When I do come here to ask a question - it is after I have banghead.gif . Now sometimes my brain just quits working and I ask some really simple (stupid) things - But it is not from lack of trying. biggrin.gif

Plus this place has the most vast knowledge base of any forum I have ever seen!

JM2C

Later,

Mark

quote:

Why is it so bad to ask for a post

dacey,

A large number of new people asking for a post are pirates. They pay $45 for a cracked copy of Mastercam, then show up here looking for a free post. People who have spent thousands to own Mastercam legally have problem with helping people who just stole it.

Even if a new guy just bought Mastercam,a good post can have hundreds, even thousands of man hours invested in it. To show up here on your first post asking for a handout is plain rude.

Hang out and get to know people, most are happy to share once a new guy has established himself.

Take for instance,you have a machine that not a lot of people have so the posts that came with your cd don't work.

And make believe that you are the guy flipping the bill to have a custom post written from scratch just for your machine.

And after you get the bill,you dish out $3000.00 of your hard earned money.

Now some dope comes into the forum,and doesnt read the FAQ's and asks for free mind you for the same post that you had to dish out a lot of money for.

And you would be willing to just "give it away"??

Now,on the other hand if you came here and participated and spent time learning how to tweak a post and help others in need and was nice then you could probably descreetly ask of this from one of the members,and the probably would help you out.

I know that I would.

Now do you get it?

Not trying to be a smart a$$ either. wink.gif

Chris just staying out of this one.

This has all been covered so many times I am sick and tired of talking about it as I am sure many others are. I have only been a short time comapred to my other Senior Members and to be honest I got more important things to worry about that than free posts or things of that nature.

I to be honest am enjoying my 5 days off that I truly earned and to be honest demanded. I have 2 jobs right now that are running for 4 weeks using 3 machines and that my friend make my life easy. I have a great programmer there who does a great job my other guy is coming along good following my posted programs and being able to changle little things in my Mastercam programs to on my end no worries becuase guess what it will all still be there when I get back.

There will always be the people who don't bother to read the FAQ I read all of them. I just like to be informed and knowlegde is the key and those who do not bother to try and do not look to see what they can do will wlays never be able to but those who push the limits and try different things will always learn the most life has to give us. Everything life is yours for the taking it up to each person to make the choice to take it and go get it.

I am a rookie compare with many of you. On lathe I made hundreds prog... in <1 year, in aerospace division where is difficult material and small tolerance.

However, maybe sometimes I ask dummy question for you about mastercam like "why mastercam blank my geometry after I flip stock If I chose to not in options".... it's a question with no answer for now.

I think this it is not a reason to laugh on me and made jokes or worst.

You do not born master of mastercam or programming?.

Many of you have truly rights to said, "I work very hard for my knowledge... and some rookies come here and want post's for free or something like this"

Nevertheless, this is not a motive to not help icy other if you can.

Because this is the way to learn faster.

Some of you it is older enough to remember times when the internet was science fiction for us "92-"93 and you do not have possibility to ask somebody, and you "dig" and banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

...and spend tens of hours for a simple problem after 10 coffees, 5 packs of cigarette...

Maybe you have many motives to be so cold with others but.....it's time to cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif