Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Passion of the Christ

Hardmill

After reading numerous reviews, I have decided not to take my kids to see the movie (at this time anyway) due to the fact that I don't think they would be able to sit through the movie or be able to deal with the non-stop brutality.

My wife and I on the other hand look forward to seeing Mel's portrail of the story.

Phil

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Mackius you should check it out. I'm sure you have seen many less factual movies that were cinematically inferior to this one.

Yeah, i'm plan to see this weekend, maybe on saturday afternoon.

quote:

if you were to pick up a bible, one of those newer ones where Jesus' words are in red.

Well to you the truth, i did go to a Catholic School called "Our Lady of Mercy, which incidently was run by a nun. And yes, we did have religious classes, but i don't remember any of it anymore. I think i went there until the age of 12, until i moved to Canada then i got sent to a good ole public school. Where i soon found out, theres no such thing as respect for teachers or relly anyone else, and coming to school drunk or high is the norm. how weird, i thing i was better off the in Catholic school.

smile.gif

quote:

Just curious where you got that from Murlin. Haven't read anything in depth enough to know who's guesstimate that is.

Like I said, you have to believe in the Bible.

We live in the year 2004 BC.

BC means, Before Christ.

I go by the whole King James version of the Bible that includes the Old Testament.

Most of the new versions of the Bible have only the New Testament.

The war in Iraq has destroyed most of the evidence of corroboration of the Old Testament.

There were priceless artifacts in the museums there that were destroyed.

My stating that the Earth is about 6,000 years old was strictly from a Biblical point of view.

Starting with the Creation of the Earth, and the very first family of Adam and Eve, the Old Testament counts the generations of the whole thing up to the the Birth of Christ.

Add those to 2004 and you will come up with a pretty good guestament of how old the Earth really is. From a Biblical POV of course smile.gif

Murlin

I saw the movie tonight. Very intense. I would not recommend children under 12 see it, and even those should be well educated in the bible stories so they know the context of the violence and brutality.

I think Mel's point was to give you a sense of how much Jesus suffered in the way Saving Private Ryan gave an honest look at the reality of war and blew away our sanitized notions of battle.

In case you are in a movie mood this weekend and don't care to see this movie, I highly recommend Mystic River which is incredible but not for young people either.

[side note: the last I heard was the museum in Iraq was pretty much intact; never looted. The curator had hidden the artifacts without telling anyone].

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...There are hundreds of scientific discoveries and proof out there showing that earth and life on it is millions of years old...

I, ...... I,.... I,....... thought we were in the age of enlightenment. Guess I was wrong.

As was stated earlier, Carbon 14 dating (the current preferred method for determining the "age" of things) is really an unrelaible method. I'll tell you why. The system has only been around for less than 100 years. So we are taking data gathered (the amount of carbon leaving a certain entity) and extrapolating that data across millenia... sorry but I'm not buying that in light of (as was also stated earlier) what we all witnessed in the eruption of Mt. St. Helens i.e. what was thought to take 10's of thousnds of years happens in seconds or minutes not eons. In my opinion it takes more blind faith to believe in evolution than creation.

The Grand Canyon... just because you can't see how that would happen relatively guickly (say, how does 40 days sound???) does not mean it did not happen that way. The whole premise for "evolution" is flawed, seriously flawed. It is man's feeble attempt to deny the existance of God. Because if there is no God, I can do whatever I want with no regard for the afterlife. The theory of evolution ... How a thinking individual can even give it any credence is beyond me. One easy way to debunk the fools that spout this as truth is this " Show me the fossil record..." End of story right there. If we evolved from other species there would be a fossil record. Truth be told, if there were ANY trans species evolutin there would be a fossil record supporting that position, but you know what, there is nor will there ever be proof that evolution is for real. The hoaxes out there "Lucy", "Piltdown Man", etc... ad infinitum .

BTW, my wife and I saw The Passion whhle we were in Hawaii and it was truly an amazing movie. If you have not seen it, I would strongly urge you to see for yourself what it is about. Don't let the Andy Gooney's of the world dictate especially since he has not see it and refuses to see it. Truth is he's probably afraid to see it. If he sees it, he'll have to one day answer for it because he'll know...

quote:

I would not recommend children under 12 see it, and even those should be well educated in the bible stories so they know the context of the violence and brutality.

+1 Charles

I myself am taking my ten year old to see the movie

based on the fact that she has a good foundation

in Christ. Its a decision only we as parents can

make with our children. My 12 & 14 yr olds would

not have been mature enough to watch it at 10.

Our children are truly individuals, God is good.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Thanks guys, I had a wonderful time. My wife and I have not spent a week together alone since out Honeymoon. It was fantastic!

I saw this topic and then I was reading about the evolution stuff and had to step in on that. Politics and religion, my two favorite subjects. Boy you can sure have "spirited debate" regarding those can't we.?? biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...There was some guy CNC4000 in here looking for you while you were gone ...

LOL!!!

You mean the Islamic sympathiser??? I readl like 3 sentences and realized I need to go sort clothes, or watch the paint dry in the closet I just painted. It's not that I don't want to hear what the guy has to say, it's just that I'm a simple guy. Feed me a sentence or two at a time. Easier to digest, and easier to debate that way.

Islam 101: They descended from Abraham's second wife Hagar ( I believe that's her name) Abraham's least favorite wife. She had a son... Ishmael who was Abraham's first born. I think Osama Bin Laden's mom was one of his dad's least favorite wives also... gee, is there a connection headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif . Recap, Issac - fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham. Ishmael result of Abraham's unbelief.

James wrote: "Because if there is no God, I can do whatever I want with no regard for the afterlife"

Like I said. Back then there was no Police or any other type of law and that is one of the reasons why religion was made up. To help control primitive human race and keep them from killing each other. It was a perfect solution to the biggest problem. Once you get people believe that there is this Mighty God that is watching everything you do and depending on what you do in this life, your next life will be bad or good. Now, police is no longer needed because God sees everything.

Kevangel wrote: "Man is so clearly distinct from all other species"

How can you even say that. We are so close to Chimpanzees it's scary. Every single organ we have, they have. Yes, they have lots of body hair, the body in shorter and the brain is not as developed as ours, but to say that they are clearly distinct form us is B.S. Even their fingerprints are the same (not identical that is) They have intelligence of 5 year old child, where they can do simple math, puzzles, arranging colors, etc. Now, if you compare a Man to a fish or a hamster, you have a point.

We can discus this subject for years and we wont get anywhere. What ever scientists all over the world will discover or proof (probably few millions highly educated individuals with master degrees, DR. degrees working at NASA or many Universities) a redneck from Alabama with 8 grade home education who has worked the same potato field his whole life will say "God made it that way" and most religious people will agree with him and discredit any info from the educated folks. I don't know, but I'll go with the smart guys. If religious people had things the way they wanted, we'll still be in stone age and there would be no Mastercam.

This explains why some states ( AL, TX, TN, KT ) are most religious. Weak and uneducated minds are easy to control. Which was the case thousand years ago where all those stories where imbedded in people minds and started this whole thing.

Please don't take this personal. We all know that people on this forum are bunch of smart men and women. We have to be in this type of industry and in what we do. There are plenty of highly educated people that live and work in all the States. The four States listed above are the lowest when it comes to education and most religious at the same time in 2001 Census. I don't mean to offend anyone.

Back to religion. How do you explain so many different religions. How do you know that yours is the correct (true) one. Most of you in US are some type of Christians simply because we originate from UK and Christianity was their religion. If the Mayflower was from say Iran, most of you would pray to Allah and swear that he is the true God. That's how religion works. In most cases it is passed from your parents or your grandparents and was forced on them at some point. Christianity was forced onto entire Europe by the Christian crusade. If you didn't believe in Christ you were killed. Same applies to other religions. Christianity is the most popular simply because English, French, Spanish nations were explorers and colonize many places on this globe spreading their religion. You will swear that your God is the true God and guy next to you will die to prove to you that his God in the one. This is why I will never join any type of church. There is too much blood on their hands. For thousands of years religious people were killing others to make them believe. Wars where millions were killed were fought because of your God. The bible you read is responsible for more death then any other factor. Most kings and leaders used religion to gain power and used their church to justify their killings and were always forgiven by their God for their sins. In current days, a church is just a big business making tons of money and religion is still used for personal gain and power. We continue to kill our selfs to show that our God is their God. I don't see too many atheists flying 737 into sky scrapers.

quote:

I don't see too many atheists flying 737 into sky scrapers.

Leave it to Beav ... to come up with the quote of the day. biggrin.gif Good point.

You bring up some very interesting points. I decided a number of years ago to lay aside prejudice to spiritual ideas (even organized religion) and kind of follow my heart. Today I am convinced there is a God. I also believe that none of us could truly and fully comprehend God. Religion (in my belief) attempts to provide enough of an understanding to satisfy men.

A rather cynical friend of mine said once "the only problem with Christianity is all those darned Christians" biggrin.gif I understood what he meant (no offense to the christians out there). For me I found when the various men and institutions of religion were set aside and I approached the subject from a Gut level, the existence of God was no longer deniable. Another wise man suggested that when asked to explain God he had best simply be quiet ... so I guess I will too. wink.gif

quote:

Most kings and leaders used religion to gain power and used their church to justify their killings and were always forgiven by their God for their sins.

Actually God would be using them to do his will.

The reason for all kinds of religions is a

separation of the people from God. What ever is

right in a mans mind is usually the way he goes.

Thats where people make a wrong turn, when they

stop following the Lord.

Something bad happens and who do they blame?

Yup, you got that right. God.

I was truly lost til about 5yrs ago, when I made

almost the exact statements you just did Beav.

Opening the bible and studying it truly enlightened

me. I wanted nothing to do with organized religion.

I now attend a bible teaching church where i serve

not because they got their hand out but because

I want to. I also don't go running my mouth

like I used to because I know the truth, the real

truth.

I'm learning what his will is for me and just pray

daily for him to show me the way, His way, no matter what the outcome.

Some people say Christians are all brain washed.

I say to them "At least i know whos washing my brain"

God Bless

PEACE biggrin.gif

I do not believe in God ,I am also not christian

by origin .

I am true atheist but this is also religion .

I want to say that being an atheist I have my moral principles ,and they are the same as yours .

I`ve got them from my parents .

And respect is the main one.

To respect ,love ,help ,protect ,defend and

believe in future ,what differs me from religious man ?!?

I do not appreciate the nihilism ,I respect others being religious and I do not think

that educated man can not be religious !

Isaac Newton was ,he was the magister of theology and was very proud of it .

Albert Einstein was !

And many others .

They never had conflicts with their religion and I can not understand ,why a religious man is a redneck .

And what makes a man better ,his education or attitude ?

The French nihilism and French revolution draw blood no less then crusaders !

I think we must find what unite us ,not what differs .

We all love our children ,family ,country and humanity ,why to offend one another . ?!?

BTW my daughter goes to religious school and I find that it is far better from moral side and attitude and she is happy in it and no one pushes her to religion .

I celebrate the Jewish holidays as a part of tradition of my people and I am in peace with myself .

Peace !

[ 03-01-2004, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Iskander teh Owl ]

One of my past Pastors was a chemistry major in college and came from a non christian family. But,they had these "different" relatives that lived out on the west coast they would see every year or so. Somehow my pastor found himself on a oneway roadtrip with them and spiritual discussions must have come up....Anyway (he being a chemistry major) he decided it was his duty to set those poor misguided ignorant people straight.. So he went to the library and got piles of books and locked himself away in his room for a month..somebody was convinced, he now has a doctorate and his is a pastor. I can only speak from my experiance , all my pastors have had doctorate degrees and are some of the most "well rounded" highly educated people I know. Even my medical doctors are devout christians (and all my dentists)...The only distinction I have seen is ...a lot of rich powerful business people are too busy worshiping themselves. (in looking at history-when Jesus came, some of the "church leaders" were his biggest enemies, just like later in history those church leaders also became his enemies, eventhough they used him as an excuse to expand thier "agenda" CHRISTIANS do not persecute others PERIOD..Jesus himself said "many will say LORD, LORD, did we not heal in your name" etc. Jesus repield "truly I say to you, I do not know you".