Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface machining

Royalmantis

• gcode changed the title to Surface machining

Way to just post up asking how to do your job....

On a serious note, have fun machining that thing.  I hope you can take some liberties on some of those features.  It would sure be a waste of time and money to machine it exact to the model.  When engineers ask for prototypes of a casting, they should be requesting V-Process castings, not make from solid versions of the castings.  If they do want a make from solid, they should simplify the design for machining by removing fillets, radii, and draft wherever possible.  If you aren't familiar with V-Process casting, it is a good alternative casting method suitable for short run protoypes, and it can get great results.  What makes it short run compatible, is the fact that the pattern tooling is typically cheaper as it can be made from soft materials (think renboard or even softer foam) and still have a relatively long life, as well as the fact that the design criteria are a little more forgiving than typical sand casting methods.

I still have X8 installed.  Since it's a casting can you paint up what you expect to be machined?  Some of the faces and features are not perpendicular if it's mounted logically.  Making a fixture or using a sine plate will be much more efficient than 3d-ing.  2d contour and drill will be the majority of paths on this part.  If you want to paint up the faces I will put you a few paths on it as to how I would do it.

Aluminium, 130 off and tolerances are not that important as this should be a casting. I’m more interested in what toolpaths to us rather than how to hold it

In my experience you will get a better result working the other way, Make an attempt and put some toolpaths on your part, upload the MCX file and then you will get some suggestions

• Like 1
On 7/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, Royalmantis said:

First side done

F5C2BBD7-A498-4A45-9969-B32BB2A2BC99.jpeg

B1EE374D-BE04-4231-8EF2-101909CB90B9.jpeg

Done and good working getting your part to that point and not trying to be mean here, but that could look so much better than it does. All of those fillet radii should be machine differently the edges could be done differently there are many things to make it look better. I say that with thinking a burr hand wouldn't need to do much on a part when I have programmed it. That said if that is good enough and you can ship it and it passes your quality departments inspection then it is good enough and what I think means nothing so hopefully you get my full meaning with with my statement as it is not meant to be of a belittle or lessen your efforts as it is not my intention.

1 minute ago, Royalmantis said:

I put this post up to see if I could find help, not one person helped me so I worked through it on my own. I posted the results and 2 people have already said they could do better. I don’t understand these sites. I thought they were here to help people.

No sir you gave a file that has about 30-40 hours of work expecting someone to do it for you. I never give keys to the castle until someone has proven to me they have waded through the mud and paid for their seat of software like I personally did since I am a contract programmer who earns his living programming parts. See my email and my information you can reach me personally what about your sir? He who has nothing to hid is always willing to help those who have nothing to hide either.

Just now, mike93 said:

I am trying to help. the pencil pass will clean up the internal radius, and the scallops on the ribs would smooth out  the steps on them.

5 Axis Parallel with a single cut, Flowline and many other toolpaths will do a good job, but with me seeing some seat equality then not much more I can offer. I gave a complement that he did a good job getting to that point. I can always go back to work I have done an feel I could do a better job so I guess that makes me a crazy person for thinking I am never good enough.

22 minutes ago, C^Millman said:

No sir you gave a file that has about 30-40 hours of work expecting someone to do it for you. I never give keys to the castle until someone has proven to me they have waded through the mud and paid for their seat of software like I personally did since I am a contract programmer who earns his living programming parts. See my email and my information you can reach me personally what about your sir? He who has nothing to hid is always willing to help those who have nothing to hide either.

I never wanted it done for me as I have a good idea as to what i’am doing. I just wanted advice. I think I have proved that I know more than some people on here.   I do tho appreciate your advice. This took 4 hours on a 3 axis machine and I think there is time to be saved.  These are priced at 8 hours each. You have to work hard and smart these days  

if you can problem this part faster and better than us please feel free to get in contact. We are press tool makers and ever now and then could do with a sub contract programmer 

13 minutes ago, Royalmantis said:

I never wanted it done for me as I have a good idea as to what i’am doing. I just wanted advice. I think I have proved that I know more than some people on here.   I do tho appreciate your advice. This took 4 hours on a 3 axis machine and I think there is time to be saved.  These are priced at 8 hours each. You have to work hard and smart these days  

if you can problem this part faster and better than us please feel free to get in contact. We are press tool makers and ever now and then could do with a sub contract programmer 

How long did it take to program and get the results you got? What are the speeds and feeds it was programmed at? Is it a CAT40/50 or HSK VMC? The other problem was the version I am using 2019 with only 2017 as the oldest version so a lot of what I would throw out there wouldn't do you any good. All the best and like I said my contact information is below and be glad to help if I can help, but I don't program in X8 and if your shop is not upgrading then I will not be much help.

• Like 1

Quite a few of us reached out and offered help.  You posted up a step file and never proved you're a legitimate user.  I even asked you to paint up what you needed help with so I could try to offer specific help.  You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.  If you want help you need to be more specific in your request.  You can't just throw up a step file and ask how people would do it.  There are literally millions of ways to skin that cat.  I would not attack it the same in a 40 taper as I would a 50 taper.  You also have some holes that are not going to work out without being undercut.  I also hope you planned for warpage as the shape of that part is going to relieve.

You can always upload the X8 file to dropbox or some other service and share the link.  I can even send you a link to upload to if you want.

You also seem a bit arrogant considering you made it seem as though you were lost in your original post.

Talk about you'll never understand these sites, I'll never understand how people come in with ZERO reputation and make insanely general requests for help, never upload a file and prove legitimacy, and then get mad at members of the forum for not helping.  Then, spout off about how they didn't need help in the first place.  You may have a purple sim in your hand just like me but it seems pretty fishy to me.

Despite how these "sites" are, the offer to help is still there.  If you can name a specific feature or paint up a few faces you want a suggested path on I will be happy to put a few toolpaths on it.

You can upload an X8 file up to .98TB as that's what I have left on my DB:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/JwYDcmqRXWTpgbxMvTAy

• Like 1