Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deleting drill points

saltedfish

I'm using the drill toolpath and having an issue deleting specific drill points.

I have 20 points selected, but I want to delete the 3rd and 8th points. However, when I delete them, Mastercam instead deletes the 1st and 2nd points. I've tried right clicking on each point and selecting delete; selecting both points, right clicking and selecting delete; and selecting both points and pressing the delete key on my keyboard; selecting each point individually and right clicking delete, selecting each point individually and pressing delete.

In all cases, Mastercam will only delete the first two entries. No combination of selecting anything will get the entries I want deleted -- Mastercam appears unable to do anything but delete from the beginning and work it's way down. Even restarting the program or reloading the file has no effect.

Has anyone else seen this? My workaround, and it's ridiculous that I even have to do this, is to right click on the points, select "move to top," and then delete them. Then it "works."

Just tried to delete a single point from multiple in 2020...

If I click on the point I want gone and hit the delete key...only that point I had selected is deleted...

zW2Yh54.png

BrNoW4O.png

After I've clicked my first point, I can even use the CTRL button and select multiple points and then hit delete

Easy there, fellas.

When I select solid arcs I'm unable to delete drill points as I see fit. It starts from point one and always deletes point one no matter how I try to delete points.

If I'm working with regular wireframe arcs I can delete however I choose. 

I noticed this from the moment I started using 2020. Instead of saying something I just figured I'd grin and bear it for the next 40 years and wait for the sweet embrace of death.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JParis said:

Seems to me just one more reason that I continue using wireframe for everything that I can....

You need to be a little more sensitive to the fact that not all of us can find the extra 15 seconds in our day to curve those edges.

Looks like everything is cleared up here. Back to browsing babes on Facebook now.

6 minutes ago, nperry said:

Easy there, fellas.

When I select solid arcs I'm unable to delete drill points as I see fit. It starts from point one and always deletes point one no matter how I try to delete points.

If I'm working with regular wireframe arcs I can delete however I choose. 

I noticed this from the moment I started using 2020. Instead of saying something I just figured I'd grin and bear it for the next 40 years and wait for the sweet embrace of death.

Glad I'm not the only one then... I see now it was using solid arcs as opposed to my usual wireframe points. That's a good distinction.

I definitely feel that last part.

Just now, nperry said:

You need to be a little more sensitive to the fact that not all of us can find the extra 15 seconds in our day to curve those edges.

??? sensitive???

What did I say?

I offered a solution that it did work based on my wireframe...the OP didn't include that he used solid selection...when he replied, I wished him luck and moved on...

How do I need to be more sensitive?

I don't get it...When I'm gruff I get crap, when I say nothing I get crap...wtf

I suspect he was making a joke -- you're right that I didn't mention solid vs wireframe because I didn't think it mattered -- wireframe or solid selection, you'd think deleting points would work the same either way. I am trying to take advantage of some of the new features of Mastercam 2020 by not always taking the time to do the preparation that I used to do with earlier versions, but it looks like I'll need to revert to those methods to compensate for the shortcomings of 2020.

Regardless, it was not my intent to upset anyone's day, and I apologize if that's what happened. I appreciate the point that wireframe and solid selection behave differently, and I'll keep an eye out for that in the future.

3 minutes ago, JParis said:

??? sensitive???

What did I say?

I offered a solution that it did work based on my wireframe...the OP didn't include that he used solid selection...when he replied, I wished him luck and moved on...

How do I need to be more sensitive?

I don't get it...When I'm gruff I get crap, when I say nothing I get crap...wtf

Oh man, no, that post was as tongue-in-cheek as it gets. Sorry...should've popped a sarcasm disclaimer on there or something.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, saltedfish said:

I do apologize if I came across as harsh -- I spoke out of some frustration that the first response was, "Did you try the thing you already tried?"

JP's one of the MC Guru's on here, he's mellowed over time it seems, he helps many and has a wealth of MC knowledge

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, nperry said:

Funny thing about this defect is that no one reported it until November (I think it was?), by which time we had already fixed it in 2021.   We didn't notice it until shortly before that because no one over here really uses solid arcs if they can avoid it, and this only affects solid arcs.

The selection is too manual compared to just selecting the solid hole itself (or selecting all matching diameters with Ctrl+click, or all matching diameters on the same vector with Ctrl+Shift+click) which also gives you the depths.  You can't window select solid arcs, either.

Either way, because it wasn't reported until so late in the process, and it was only reported once or twice since then, I didn't realize it was worth porting back to 2020.  

So the moral of the story:  If you see something, say something.  The earlier, the better.  Otherwise we don't have accurate information to prioritize the things that affect you.

Cheers,

Geometry selection page? Do you mean the entry shown in the attached image?

Because that is what I've been using to modify the points, and I'm still getting the error I describe above in my first post. What do you mean by "reselect?" Right click does not give me that option, nor do I see it anywhere.

hsrhrthrthrht.png

I have been working on a 5 axis drilling project recently

and the 5x drilling toolpath in conjunction with picking solid holes worked really well

Picture a tapered barrel with 200+ through holes.

The inside and outside wall are not parallel so the drill depth to drill a thru hole is different for every hole.

The new drilling toolpaths have check boxes that enable defining drill depth/ clearance and retract settings from holes or vector lines.

In this case I selected the solid holes and told the toolpath to extract the depth from the solid hole.

It worked perfectly.. the Z values of each hole is adjusted to the wall thickness of that hole.

Old school, that would have been a one depth fits all ( with a lot of air time) or a day or so figuring out and defining

the breakout Z value for 200 plus holes.

I'm hard to impress, but this toolpath impressed me.

Wish I could share it, but .gov would disappear us all if I did.

11 minutes ago, saltedfish said:

Geometry selection page? Do you mean the entry shown in the attached image?

Because that is what I've been using to modify the points, and I'm still getting the error I describe above in my first post. What do you mean by "reselect?" Right click does not give me that option, nor do I see it anywhere.

hsrhrthrthrht.png

Click on that geometry box and then instead of trying to delete anything just physically mouse over into the graphics window and reselect (left click) the hole or point you don't want to drill.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, jlw™ said:

Glad to know this is an official bug and that 2021 fixes it.  This was about to drive me nuts.

LOL.  Same here. 

I never brought it up because I assumed that since "drilling" is a pretty commonly used operation, someone had to have reported it.  :D 

The first time I noticed the bug there was about a 15 minute session of "what in the F is going on here"?  

• Like 1