Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T apptitude test

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Basically what I would do is give them like 10 DIRTY holders, tools, collets, etc... And have them put them together and see what they do and how long it takes them. That's a practical test you can give to a tool setter that will at the most, cause damage to a few collets. But Before that, have them explain to you what they are going to do. Look at the hands. If they appear all scarred up, inquire about it. May be a safety problem tipoff. Make sure you have a drill chuck in there if possible, the reason I say that is because I've seen guys put endmills in a drill chuck before.

HTH

The only aptitude test we do for new job applicants is they have to know how to cut threads/ and taper on a manual lathe. Now days any body can be a button pusher, even my grandma. It seems like the new guys coming out of trade skills only want to work on a cnc, they hate working on manual machines.

Have'm do something. Like set up a couple of tools or have them explain what these particular tools are and what they do. Do you/they use a torque wrench? Loctite? Do check for tool overhang and clamp placement. Do they reach for the Crescent wrench or the proper wrench? I have rarely seen an operator use common sense about how long a tool should stick out of the holder. Will they use brass or other material to protect a senstive surface? Do they bend the clamps or strip the studs? Do they tamp a part down in the vise? Is their preferred method of locating a part the indicator or the edge finder? Do they indicate the vise? etc.

Around my part of town speaking english has been curcumvented by bi-lingual supervisors and "helpers" so you're on your own on this one.

Have them navigtate a program at the control in edit mode and explain what the program is doing. Do they know their code? Can they stop the machine in an emergency?

Will your insurance cover you if this person hurts themselves before hiring and tries to sue?

Hi John,

quote:

I'd like to see it (the test) just to know where I'M at?!?!

I,m sure you, fellow forum member, would be able to slam dunk it wink.gif

When we have an ad for a "CNC machinist with 5 years", it helps weed out the button pushers eek.gif

Right now I only have hard copies, but if you would like to go up against the unemployed of Milwaukee send me a fax number and I'll shoot one your way. biggrin.gif

Paul B

Simple appitude stuff, math operations addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and my facvoite - the word problems, don't forget to add one with a twist.

Also get some mics, and a vernier (not the real one, I can't even read those...) and have a bunch of things to measure.

This will give you the chance to see them use measuring tools on scrap before they hit your floor (and pocket book).

Ask yourself the question "Would I let this guy drive my Porsche??" If yes, then they are worthy to hire.

quote:

I've seen guys put endmills in a drill chuck before.

And add to this the hammer beating on the vice handle as well; but hey, it's all good, especially when the instuctors are setting the example. mad.gif

I almost forgot:

How about those 18" pipes that are necessary to tighten the 3/16" set screws - it's such a tempting thought to put one on the bench and watch them snap the threads. biggrin.gif

I might suggest a preliminary test!

Have the machinist simply change an R8 collet in a conventional mill (Bridgeport) this view would provide an excellant opportunity to measure intelligence and common sense in one shot.

Regards, Jack

Send him to the tool crib to get the aluminum magnet. If he comes back with something, Dont Hire Him!.

I like the idea of giving him some mic's and a verneer, and have him take some dimensions from some known parts. I also like Jame's idea of giving him "Dirty" collets and holders. See if he's smart enough to know that dirt does not make a precision fit.

Paul: I would like to see that test. Can you fax it to me?

Mike Mattera