Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how many here are woodworkers?

mike.b

I do woodworking a a sideline business from my home. Custom furniture, cabinetry, etc., but all my machines are strictly traditional human-guided.

Would LOVE to try my hand at CNC stuff, but man, I gotta sell a lot of radiator covers to cover the cost.

We are a CNC router Jobber shop. I have thought about the concept of the a router only forum, but the potential problem I see, is that all the experience and knowledge is on this forum. Even though questions may be specific to Router, from us wood guys, the answer or remedy is found in Mastercam. I have always been afforded a quick response to my concerns when posting a topic on this forum. I also try to answer questions that are related specifically to my knowledge of Router or Mastercam. I think this forum is a great help and tool for anyone working in the Mastercam environment - to all have conversed on this forum, keep up the good work and thank you!

Most of my experience with MasterCam is in wood. I worked for 12 years as the production manager for an OEM guitar parts manufacturer, primarily making bodies and necks for electric guitars and basses, along with parts for violins, cellos, banjos, marimbas, and various odds and ends.

In 1994, the shop acquired a CNC router and I started doing the programming without being given any training. Had to learn MasterCam on the fly. While I readily confess to having eaten up a few pieces of wood in the learning process, I managed to never crash the machine.

3 years ago I started my own biz doing programming, and outsourcing the production. I do most of my CAD work for guitar companies, but most of the CNC programming I do is for steel, aluminum, iron and graphite. I like having Mill and Router on the same forum, because most of my knowledge is in wood but most of my questions are in metals.

yes i can see how it is good to have it all under one forum title.

i am very interested in learning more about cutting aluminum for making jigs and fixtures and i am sure i will pick up lots of useful info here.

nice to see some fellow woodworkers about the forum cheers.gif

Among other hobbies, I also enjoy learning about manufacturing in wood and wood finishing. My primary interests are Brazilian rosewood and American cherry. We picked up a hundred year old Grand piano made from 2” thick rosewood for $500. My thoughts were to create something exotic from the wood – but alas, I cannot do what I wish to, out of respect for a beautifully crafted antique.

One of my goals this year is to learn about French polishing and to try to bring this piano back to its amazing original luster – or is it freedom polishing? Which ever – point me in the right direction if anybody has the time or experience.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

I love woodworking. I have toyed with the idea of getting myself a small 5ax router for my garage. I have a lot of cool ideas for different things that will sell very well. Sorry to be so bland, but I can't spill the beans frown.gif .

Great topic. Would love to hear about more woodworking in the forum as a whole.

Well not wih Mastercam and been some years, but when I was in highschool I worked 2 summers in a cutsom window and door shop back in Jacksonville. Here is their web site.

Fraser Millworks

If you call them to do work for you tell them I sent you Chris and Sharron are as good as they come in my book. They sure looked out for me and my little brother while we worked for them.

I learned alot there I made soild oak and maghony doors. I made arch windows and this was the mid to late 80's we were doing this one of a hand full back then. I use ot also makke moulding, tougne and groove boards, and we use to plane down 22' to 24' green oaks to 12" squares to tiber frame homes and such. I have made rousiettes and even made a custom window for my parnets house to fix on the winodw ac unit destoryed. I wnet to one home where one guy had broke 4' x 10' pane of glass in the house and we had to rpelace it man was that peice of glass heave and me 17 years old. I use to grind my own shapper blade and helped make a custom wood arch beding machine. eah the coolest wood I every worked wood was purple heart. I made a dash for a guys custom car out of it I spent 3 week working on this thing rippping down stripes and gluing them together then cutting out holes for the guages and routing the radius corner breaks. We clear coated and then 200 grit polished it to where it almost look like glass just amazing I was able to make such cool stuff and get paid to do it. Well still do but wood was intresting but metal is my passion thats for sure.

[ 07-19-2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Ron Branch ]

We do custom Millwork and cabinetry. Started using Mastercam for all the oddball and curved stuff about 4 years ago. We went to Router about 2 years ago. We also use Cabinetvision for the cabinetry nesting. I like coming to this forum as it is. Most of what I read here has little bearing on what we do, but I often get some very useful info. We don't do 5 axis yet so it's pretty basic 3d contouring. We love it though!

Hi all,

I've been a woodworker since the early '70's. Pretty much done the whole trip (log houses in Alaska, cabnetry and furniture, owned my own business for 18 years, even tried guitars and dulcimers), but like most gearheads, I needed MORE TOOLS and the CNC was it !!!! Now I have the good fortune to work for a firm in western NY doing high end furniture on a fairly advanced (for a woodworker) 4 ax machine running what I would like to think is cutting edge software (Mastercam of course).

I've only been programming for a little over a year, so there's lots yet to learn, but gentlemen, I eat this stuff up. Obviously, I'd like to hear about applications for wood, but the experience base for this software is in the metal trades. And as long as our partners across the isle continue to be as receptive and as helpful as they've been, my vote would be to maintain the current focus. That said, it might not be a bad idea to do an FAQ for woodworkers.

Marv

Router Pro 9.1

I have been a Patternmaker for 30 Years now. We make Patterns for Castings. All I do is woodwork and for the last Five Years have been doing my Patternmaking on the Computer.

Instead of using a Chisel or a sander, I do my carving with Extrude or Revolve or Boolean etc.

We only do one offs usually, so you have to get pretty good at drafting/design work in order to get it on the machine pronto.

My 2 cents.