Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T New job qualms

Slixmix

I have it made. I have Internet, e-mail, phone (incoming only), ftp access (when its working), and even got a new puter that they forgot to disable the DVD player on. Office that overlooks the floor all to myself. And get to work 3rd shift where it's nice and quite

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Sorry for the sudden checkout. I've missed you all and wanted to officially sign off but had several things I had to address before forum formalities. I've been missing a lot of work lately but "I haven't really been missing it..." biggrin.gif The last job sucked to no end and it wasn't because I worked for hairy, cheese eatin', stinky, xxxx, surrender monkeys, (thanks grounds keeper Willie), but because of the dipsh!t, incompetent idiots that ran the shop there. They systematically eliminated anyone who presented an approach which included new processes or modern tooling unless it was introduced by someone in there tight little nepotistic inner circle, which didn't happen too often because it was comprised of drunks and losers who weren't willing to update from version eight and who hacked out programs that needed tons of editing out at the machine but hey they were closed ranks and you couldn't mount a case against them because there were a$$hole birds of a feather. I was part of an outside group with little or no influence that included T-guy (J-rome), Mr. McAllister, Mr. Kalhoff, N Franco, and myself to a lesser extent. All of the above mentioned people did the most complex work in the shop and were rewarded ultimately -with jealousy, disrespect and crooked daggers when they weren't looking. frown.gif I was the lowest paid of all 'cause they re-negged on their initial proposal and because I never aspired to do anything overwhelmingly worthy of recognition for such a bunch of dipsh!ts but hey, it paid the bills for a while so I worked just hard enough to not get fired.

I have been actually workin' doin' general contractin' and " honest dumb ole' redneck type labor work. I do miss the machinist paycheck and have opportunities/dilemmas to decide on currently... -Work for a large government/aerospace company in the bay area with a whole new set of political B.S. circumstances working in many different departments, (with a lot more preferences and styles to adapt to according to my liaison into there), pending a security clearance and drug screen, or go in with a four man team with guaranteed contracts and being leveraged with a personal investment in a HAAS machine tool in a new and unproven adventure in a small upstart company with a couple people I've known for some time, (that I really want to work with), and a couple guys I have no idea about...

I'm leaning towards the gamble because It would mean more rules I have say in but...

Advice is appreciated and I might not be able to respond for a couple of days here. I appreciate all the help I've ever gotten here and might be a regular (non-political type) dependant soon depending on my decision -needing mucho post editing advice from all the forum elders in here if I can convince this "speculative" group to go with Mastercam.

Take care... cheers.gif

Miss ya'all

A-ron

And P.S. I voted for Kerry before I voted against him. -Sorry Terrorists , Liberals, Communists, and alternative lifestylers. biggrin.gif

And I talked to Chris Reeve a day before he died and he told me, (after he miraculously and suddenly came out of his colma just to call and wish me luck), to go for the gamble...

[ 10-21-2004, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: A-ron ]

NFranco

Spent 16 years programming 9 machines (iso with no software package) using a486sx comp and notepad firebounce.giffirebounce.gif

having to deal with 2 shifts,5 guys and still getting a a## kicking if we got caught using the phone.

Gone from 1 extreme to another. Now have full internet access,E-mail,phone,mobile phone ,air conditioned toolroom, Brand new Okuma mill and every time i put something to them that i can justify, they have no problems coming to the party.

Been the first time in about 10 years i can actually get out of bed and like coming to work and i dont plan on leaving for a long while.

Stay positive Franco and give it a little while longer, But just remember, Life is too short to put up with crap conditions and when you spend more time with your machines than your wife and kids, you deserve to be able to enjoy it.

Bad thing is that it took me this long to work it out banghead.giffirebounce.gif

Regards

Darren cheers.gif

quote:

four man team with guaranteed contracts and being leveraged with a personal investment in a HAAS machine tool

Sounds like too many chiefs and not enough Indians to me. Whose gonna do the work and who's

gonna run the checkbook??? The guy running the checkbook is the only one with any chance of winning in that sort of deal. Everyone else

is just a chump... gcode teh ex-chump rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the responses Gcode, Derek and Mayday. The potential arrangment I mentioned in my last posting was such that an inspector friend of mine was going to inherit some "guaranteed" contracts after his current/old shop moved to Arizona and I would come in initially with no money invested at all being the only programmer with two guys on the floor, one manual, one set-up operator, and feel out the situation before committing to anything. My inspector buddy was going to try to float it in a takeover kind of deal after the old owner went to Arizona. So it wasn't the risk tom me I'd made it sound like. After further investigation and talking to a few people outside the forum I'm hoping to land the Government aerospace type job. Like tthe last job at prickville I have sort of an inside person to sort of hook it up for me. Hopefully they have something I can wrap my little peanut around. (Between widgets and F22 wing spars). There are many, many different departments there. At last check they were looking for large part five axis programmers primarily and that's one more than I've ever programmed on. And I don't own a garage so there goes your idea Derek. Do they make a mill I can shoehorn into a walk-in closet in a small condo? And oh yeah, sorry for the slight hi-jack of this thread.

Back on topic, I've been looking around at quite a few places and I cannot believe what people will put up with as far as working conditions. N Franco was right in that although we worked for jerks, the accomodations were pretty decent there (at prickville). It never ceases to amaze me how cramped, filthy, and disorganized some shops are.

Maybe I'm just picky.

Thanks again,

A-ron