Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Just joined this site .....

MCam Newbie

Hello, all.

Just joined site, and have been reading randomly through some postings. This appears to be exactly the sort of site I was seeking: A place where people can share knowledge, get solutions to problems, gain exposure to others tricks and techniques. (I have yet to meet a machinist I could learn nothing from!)

Having just moved from another software package to MasterCAM v9.1, and have been to the classes offered by CAD-CAM Consultants, I am definitely a "Newbie" to MasterCAM. I look forward to continued reading, and increasing interaction on this site.

I work for Ametek Aerospace, Gulton-Statham Products, in Costa Mesa, Ca., for 25 years, 20 as C.N.C. Programmer, and have over 30 years machining experience. We are an instrument manufacturer, working to tight tolerances mostly on stainless steels.

Just wanted to introduce myself, I hope to be around another 15 or 20 years, so plan on seeing some activity on the site from me, as I learn more on MasterCAM, or anytime I think my input might be of help to someone.

Regards, Paul McDaniel

("M-Cam Newbie", for now)

Migrating from EdgeCAM. A while back, another programmer was needed for a large influx of work. No one was found who could use EdgeCAM effectively, but there were many versed in MasterCAM.

It was decided that due to the realitively large, local installed user base,(in fact, the largest of any CAM systems!), it would be in the companys' best interest to make the change. So, after talking to many people, reading up a tad, and interacting with a new employee here who used MasterCAM for 17 years as a moldmaker, we recommended the move to MasterCAM. Management realized the stratigic reasoning behind the recomendation, and walah, her I am, learning MasterCAM.

I am currently outlining data for submission to our dealer, for custom posts to be produced for us, the 1st will be for our new, (I am bragging here a bit!), Mori Seiki NV5000a-40 machining center. We have high pressure coolant through the tool, flood coolant, air blast, conical and helical interpolation, a dual station A axis indexer requiring special output for actuation, a 12000 RPM spindle, 30 tool changer, and a ball-lock system for workholding tooling plates.

It is a very nice piece of equipment, and the 1st new machine I have had in the shop since 1989, when Statham was located in Oxnard, Ca. It is the nicest machine I have ever worked with, and that in conjuction with our new MasterCAM software has me exibiting renewed enthusiasm for doing what I do, with a passion to learn again.

Sorry, I get to going and I let my passion get the best of me. Don't always get so wordy!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, and I sincerely mean that. Thank you, everyone.

M-Cam Newbie,

Welcome to the forum. You may want to change your handle after a while. biggrin.gif This is the best place to find information, formal and informal, about how to use Mastercam to fullest potential. I must say that I'm impressed with your experience as well as introduction. I look forward to reading some of your future posts, as I'm sure you will have much to contribute. Some of the characters around here are a little gruff on the edges but the majority of the members here are truly interested in helping each other. I migrated from Smartcam to Mastercam and have enjoyed every minute of using this amazing software. I continually learn more every day. I hope my enthusiasm will match your own after the time you've invested in this field. Again, welcome. cheers.gif

Webby,

Where's the "We're not worthy" graemlins? biggrin.gif

Well on vacation but will be back Califorina if it is not covered completely in snow when we get back tommorrow.

Welcome to the forum and think you will find Mastercam the best tool to give you the best future. I went from thinking there was something better to knowing there is something better for doing the job I like to do.