Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Introducing Mastercam X

John King

I went to a X 'seminar' in Seattle 2 weeks ago. I won't say who said but I was told that 10.0 is going to released this July. I was also advised to wait for 10.1 which will be 2-6 months later.

I liked what I saw in X. It was a little buggy which is understandable for beta stage (9 I think).

It looks to be really nice. Lots of 'smart geometry creation' stuff like just picking a corner for a fillet or chamfer and not 2 lines. The trim will show ghost results letting you choose the 1 you want. The screen is gradient color like Solid Works and Catia, UG. Lots of other goodies.

I didn't get to see the Verify side. I really hope they've figured out how to rotate cut stock in 4 and 5 axis true solid.

Oh yeah. Unlimited undo got an applause from the crowd.

...hope I'm not opening my big mouth too soon. I figure a seminar doesn't make me a beta user so I don't think I'm giving away secrets. Am I?

Dan

Anyone have any insight on what editors will be packaged with "X"? I heard throught the grapevine that Cimco MAY not be included.

I hope us lathe guys will get better verification with live tooling. Shouldn't be too hard to make it better than whats in V9.0 Anyone see this "Warning - Mill-Turn not supported in True Solid"

Phil

I did see this much today in X

taskmanager no longer shows MC using 100% of the memory.

now this either means MC manages memory better, or they faked out task manager. one thing I wished I seen was the ability to have multiple files open like in SW but maybe there is a way Im not for sure

It's not just memory, it's all system resources.. CPU, GPU temps all climb way up with my MC9 open while creating geo. when I open a dialog box like op mgr or whatever else, the temps drop back down. can frustrate the hell out of a laptop user who's fan speeds are triggered by CPU/GPU temps... fan speeds are cycling between high/low/off all damn day long. I look forward to this changing in X.

*BUMP

I got an e-mail from our reseller today. X will be out soon!

(Don't think they'd mind me copying and pasting the majority of it)...

June 16, 2005

Dear Mastercam User:

As you may know, Mastercam Version X will be released soon. I would first, and most importantly, like to THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. Mastercam X has been a big project for CNC Software. While I do not have a specific release date, I can say that it will be very soon.

In preparation for the release of Mastercam X, I would like to point out a few items of which you may not be aware. You may want to address these items before actually receiving your update.

Operating System – Mastercam Version X is written on the very latest development platform from Microsoft; that is, the Microsoft .NET Framework. As such, Mastercam Version X will only run on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It will not run in the Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows NT environments.

.NET Framework – Mastercam Version X will not run without the Microsoft .NET Framework installed. This will be supplied on the Version X install CD, however, you must be running Windows 2000 or Windows XP. If you prefer, you may download the patch from Microsoft. Just go to www.microsoft.com and click on Windows Update.

Hardware Specifications – I have always maintained that the more hardware you throw at Mastercam, the better it will perform. The better it performs, the happier you will be. The following specs are what I believe to be a minimum specification. Not that it won’t run on something less, but you may not be completely satisfied. And of course, for Mill Level 3 systems, I recommend ALL you can get!

2 GHz CPU, or faster. – The CPU speed should be faster for anyone using Mill Level 3.

512 MB RAM Memory, or more. – For anyone with Mill Level 3, or Solids, 1GB RAM should be considered the minimum.

NVidia Chip Set based Graphics Card – Many computers are sold with ATI Graphics cards. ATI cards are primarily “gaming” cards and are not recommended for “graphics” based applications such as Mastercam.

1280 x 1024 Screen Resolution – This is a big one. Version X will not run at all in 800x600 resolution. It will run in 1024x768 mode, but portions of the dialog boxes will be obscured. 1280 x 1024 is really the lowest recommended resolution.

Mastercam X Transition Guide – Inside every update package will be a Mastercam X Transition Guide. This document explains how to install Version X and how to get up and running quickly. It also discusses about how to update your post processors, tool/material libraries and other required files.