Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Why solids ??

Leandro

We never use solids.

Always since Version 5 we just use lines, arcs, surfaces etc.

Why did you use solids?

Actually I get everytime 2D drawings never Solids.

Solids will be standard in X level 3 ?? Or is an aditional package ?

If you're really used to MasterCAM you can use Solids to actually design parts and I guess its easier to visualize stuff.

Personally I don't use MasterCAM to design anything, unless its some really simple soft jaw or plate or what have you. I'm just way more fluent with Solidworks and Inventor.

I like toolpathing solids. There are alot less picks on complicated surfaces. You can pick the solid without faces and create a boundary and know that you got all of the little inconspicious surfaces. One of the many reasons solids are powerful.

I still use surfaces frequently to do many things, but solids are just another good tool in the toolbox. HTH

quote:

I still use surfaces frequently to do many things, but solids are just another good tool in the toolbox.

I second that.... cheers.gif

Plus, many designers/engineers are now handing off design files to machine and dimension from. If you can't handle solids, this is work you can't do. I've come across quite a few places that won't even translate their solid to a surface file like IGES and stuff (let alone break it down to a 2D format). This is not always the case and theres plenty of work not done in full 3D aspect or solid, but the trend is leaning in that direction.

Before X and possibly after laying path on solids is the same time or longer than surfaceing because it technically still looks at each individual surface. IMO i use solids Before sworks, to create geo, man it rocks over creating surfaces for simple stuff and it is safer to lay path becasue all is selected, i chose to only select what i am cutting and maybe a little more, example a mold cavity, I dont want to process every surface like waterlines and BS so i will put everything from the parting line down on a differant level, it may seem tedious but the time it takes to mask vs. the 1st finish path is night and day.I prefer milling surfaces.but i keep a solid a differant level for referance.(When I was still MCamin)

quote:

When you guys say solids are faster, do you mean in the creation of them or the toolpaths they put out?

Creation. Example

start off with a simple rectangel. Now we are going to make a cube.

Extrude, and you done in a solid.

Now do the same thing in surfs and you will see it takes more steps.

Ya, I was just giving a basic drawing example.

quote:

Solids is the way of the future and surfaces modeling is going by the way side.

Yes, for designing, I love solids. It depends on the style of machining I am doing if I will convert surfs.

Things can be done at the machinetool using surfaces that cannot be done as easily or fast if you are using solids. I use Masteram on the floor right beside CNC. Totall awesum Combo.... cheers.gif

Over a period of time, I worked hard to switch from surface to solid. (though it wasn't that hard rolleyes.gif )Because I think solid is the future. Now every thing I do is in solid. the best part I liked is it's associativity. you change the angle of any face, change fillet radius, and you don't have to reselect the faces just click regen. it's really great.

quote:

When you guys say solids are faster, do you mean in the creation of them or the toolpaths they put out?

Both. The design part has been well explained by murlin. In toolpath, create a simple cavity plate, for a box like article. and throw pocket or contour toolpath. try it using solid model and solid conainment boundary. Then try it using surface model and line, arcs as conainment boundary. The solid model will automaticall remove the side faces and the bottom most and it will take much less.

HTH.

I design using surfaces the majority of the time, but in some applications I need to create solid models. I do a lot of complex parts for the after market automotive industry like spoilers, fake brake vents, body side moldings, bracket covers that have to fit the spoiler plush, etc. I cannot use solids for a lot of the work because with surfaces one can do more oddball shapes which are constructed via 3D wireframes then attached with surfs. Some of the tip ends on our moldings are done utilizing swept surfaces. I can't get the same effect with solids. Yet, solids are very important as well as some designs are better suited for solid modeling than surfaces.

I designed some switch caps for motorcycles a while back. Whew, some of them were tough. And, on some I used solids only as I could not get the same effect with surfaces. So, for me, it works both ways - some designs are solids only [and I can't use surfs] some are surfs only [and I can't use solids] and some need a combination of both.

quote:

Stork!

I agree with you 100% on this one. Wow.

Billy

you funny billy. biggrin.gif

The nice part of toolpathing over solids is that when you create an edge curve, you get lines and arcs and an occasional spline. With surfaces it's almost always gonna be a spline. Lines and arcs are much nicer to work with.

Ok,Ok,Ok I understand the concept.

But what about lathe ??

I think that don´t make sense to have Solids for 2axis lathes.

Is this correct ???

Murlin If you use Mastercam besides the CNC.

Did you have a MC seat for each CNC??

Is this usuall for the others ???

Just curiosity. Thanks

that's not necessarily true or untrue. for instance, let's say you're running a mazak integrex or similar mori. you want to use the part transfer function to finish other side. wouldn't you say that having a solid in that situation would be an advantage to ease the transition to the other face of the part??

Other wise I've always used wireframe on the lathe too. Or even the part flip that took alot of us some getting used to would seem a little more visible with a solid. Maybe, maybe not.