Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Thanks!

I get every day more and more impressed how much torque these computers have. Even with this smallest, cheapest, 2 years old (never formatted) MacBook regenerated that benchmark file within a reasonable time...

Have to perform same test with my iMac too.

I bet that your Mac Pro is quite a beast for Mastercamming! cool.gif (I´m just dreaming of that Mac)

Choose a CPU with lots of cache (mine has 12MB), and faster seems to be better than more cores at this point unless you're planning on regenerating multiple large toolpaths simultaneously. Of course fast with lots of cores is best. A fast HDD like a Velociraptor 10,000RPM drive or SSD will speed things up a bit, and 8GB RAM is recommended. Don't skimp on the motherboard; the latest chipsets will move the data around faster.

quote:

The question is, what other programs do you run? Because solidworks is giving up xp support after 2010. Other software company's are going to start moving over to newer os's.

Well @ some point we will be running Solidworks, Mcam and Icam.

quote:

Choose a CPU with lots of cache (mine has 12MB), and faster seems to be better than more cores at this point unless you're planning on regenerating multiple large toolpaths simultaneously. Of course fast with lots of cores is best. A fast HDD like a Velociraptor 10,000RPM drive or SSD will speed things up a bit, and 8GB RAM is recommended. Don't skimp on the motherboard; the latest chipsets will move the data around faster.

Well the main reason for a new computer is not actually to run multiple toolpaths simultaneously. The computers we have now do the benchmark @ 9.5min. These computers struggle doing the high speed toolpathes, and take to long with surface toolpathes.

We will be getting Verification software for our new 5axis Makino. As it stands now we can hardly use the Mach Sim because it bogs are computers way down.

I don’t really know how to build a computer nor do I have the time to build one. I am thinking a Dell might be a better option for us. The problem is they are really expensive like Murraymolds. Then again for that type of benchmark its really not that bad.