Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

• 2 weeks later...

Dell Precision M6500 Covet

Core i7-920XM Quad Core 2.0GHz

8GB Ram

Win7 Pro 64Bit

Intel X25-M 34nm SSD

First time 2m 39.69s

Second time 23.407s

MCX4MU3

James:

What have you done to your M6300 to get that time?

quote:

First time 2m 39.69s

Second time 23.407s

Found a problem. All time during calculation CPU use was only 12% ( 4 cores + hyperthreading )

If I disable "enable Multi-threading" in settings I get a total time of 2m 58.838s.

So it looks like my mastercam has a problem using all the cores fully.

Any good suggestions?

Found the problem. Mastercam.exe wasn't assigned to all cores. So this I changed manually in the task manager.

New run:

First time 1m 30.083s

Second time 19.48s

Pretty good for a laptop

[ 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Mic ]

quote:

The Dell M6500 configured for Mic is in the ball park of $5000

Very close smile.gif With some discount from Dell we ended on 4620$ less the Intel SSD which adds 460$ for the 160GB version.

But I'm very happy with this new machine.

Mic, my best has been 1 min 7 sec- Clevo D901C, Xeon 3370, Intel X25m SSD. Its almost 2 yrs old now, so we should be seeing some faster laptops here soon.

I wish I knew how to "cluster" this thing with my desktop, like Evil Machinist- the complex 5x and tight surface programs run WAY too slowly.

Still, a good fast laptop comes in very handy!

If you are looking for less expensive, high quality alternative the $$$ Dells, google

"Sager" and check out the new stuff...

Evil- not a Win fan myself-

But, a friend in Europe has been running a new HP with dual 6-core Xeons and 24 threads running at once- I think it does the benchmark in seconds...

They are a partner with HP and are working on the multi-threading apps.

I gotta git me one... Currently, $2800 ea for the cpu's..

He says this (mcam) won't take advantage of a Tesla cuda-based machine. Too bad.

quote:

They are a partner with HP and are working on the multi-threading apps

This sounds like HSMWorks from Denmark smile.gif

I don't think it would so much faster on this Mastercam benchmark.

So far Mastercam only uses 1 core for each job being calculated and as the benchmark only have 3 job's you won't see any difference between quad and hexa core as long as GHz and cache is the same.

quote:

I think the surface routines are multi-threaded, so it would help any of the routines which use multi-threading

Don't think so at least not the HST cycles used in this benchmark.

My laptop is a quadcore with hyperthreading ( 8 cores ) but during the benchmark max cpu use between 30 and 40% If these cycles was multi-threaded it would have used all 100%

( My HSMWorks puts 100% load in the cpu smile.gif )

Mic, I'll run another one and see- I seem to recall, as you discovered, that mc only uses one core, but windows distributes it over all 4, and uses multi-threading- hence the faster times on 4-core multi-thread machines. I am no expert on this, so I will ask my friend if he has time to test the benchmark on his dodecacore and see what it does...