Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

quote:

6 min 1 sec

Dell Precision 670

X4 MU2

XP PRO 64

Dual Xeon 3.20GHz

4GB DDR2-400 PC2-3200 ECC Ram

80GB 15k HDD

Quadro FX 1400

I need faster what can I do?

Just by lookin at yer specs, I would say upgrade video card. My old workstation is very similar to yours except I have Quadro FX3450/4000 and it's WAY faster than that. I haven't used it in a long time, but I might blow the dust off of it and run the benchmark today

The company wants to use Dell so this is what our IT guy came up with, with money budget of 5k in mind for everything. What do you guys think?

Dell Precision 7500 Desktop

2 x Intel Xeon E5520 Quad Core 2.26GHz Processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

2x300GB SAS 15k Hard Drive RAID 1 Array

16X DVD-ROM Drive

Gigabit Ethernet

NVidia Quadro FX4800 1.5GB

PERC 6i/R RAID Card

2 x Dell UltraSharp U2410 24in LCD Monitor

Microsoft Windows 7 64-Bit XP

Shawn..

quote:

Build it yourself!! Save 1200 bucks!!

8GB DDR3 RAM

2x300GB SAS 15k Hard Drive RAID 0 Array

1TB Western Digital Green Power HD (BACKUP!!)

16X DVD-ROM Drive

Gigabit Ethernet

PERC 6i/R RAID Card

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Pro

fissed it.

Raid 1 is where you keep a copy of your files on each hd. So if one goes out, you just boot on the other. Raid 0 splits your files into two pieces and puts half on one hd and half on the other. You get double the read write speeds but if you loose one hd, everything's gone. That's why I said get the 1TB Western Digital Green Power HD. Its used to keep a active backup of all your files. Your Operating system and programs really are expendable in data loss. All you need to do is reinstall them. But your personal data would be stored on the raid 0 array but then use windows 7 backup utility to back those up onto the 1TB hd. Or you can go with solid state hard drives.

I really haven’t used a duel monitor setup before. I was wondering when you guys set them up, what side do you like to be dominate if you are right handed? I would think having my main screen on the right side would be better, and have the ops manager and level manager on the left screen. Would you have the screens split equally in the workspace center, or is one screen in the direct view of the workspace and the other way off to the left or right?

Shawn.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

The company wants to use Dell so this is what our IT guy came up with, with money budget of 5k in mind for everything. What do you guys think?

Dell Precision 7500 Desktop

4GB DDR3 RAM

2x300GB SAS 15k Hard Drive RAID 1 Array

16X DVD-ROM Drive

Gigabit Ethernet

PERC 6i/R RAID Card

Microsoft Windows 7 64-Bit XP

Shawn..

I think the Xeon E5520 is about as fast as an older Quad core @ 2.4Ghz... and the Core I7 is WAY more bang for the buck.

Here is a benchmark chart for processors and you can see from the chart that the Xeon's are behind the pack unless you fork out $2,000 for a high end W5590 @ 3.3Ghz.

Processor Speed Chart

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got my new computer running.

Dell T7500. It has an Nvidia FX 4800, running windows 7 64 bit.

Everything seems to be working except the solid face selection. It takes forever to process a solid face highlight. If I run my mouse over the top of a solid face it hangs up and then finally highlights that surface face. Any suggestions?

I did download the new drivers, and I’m running X4mu1.

Shawn.

• 2 weeks later...