Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Incnnel

Rob_Jeanjaquet

Hi all,

I am cutting 718 Inconnel for the first time. I

have recommendations from my tool rep but

he usually says his cutters work best. (Naturally). Which works best, inserts or solid carbide for roughing. I am considereing Sanvik

inserts or Hanita Varimill for roughing,solid

carbide for finish. I know low rpms moderate

depth of cut and feeds. Very light, cuts could

work harden.

Thanks,

Rob

quote:

my tool rep but

he usually says his cutters work best.

Of course they do.

quote:

I know low rpms moderate

depth of cut and feeds.

Kennametal runs a demo in their facility where they cut Inconel (Not sure what grade), but they use Ceramic inserts and run at, and I know this sounds wrong but, 3000SFM. Its pretty wild. Realy something to see. The chips come off in a shower of sparks. And the inserts last for a long time. cheers.gif

A colleague of mine confirmed seeing a shop that has developed a similar method using ceramic inserts (Kennametal I think?) at a relatively high speed for inconel, so it is being done daily. To me, the rigidity requirement is a function of DOC.

I’d personally like to see glowing chips fly off an inconel part!

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...unclamp the tool with the part attached

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

blah ha ha cheers.gif

good point, guys

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've also seen it routinely cut at those obsene SFM numbers. VERY rigid setups. You have to take a moderate cut, if you don't you'll just rub it and it's work harden like a mo-fo and then you'll be screwed. Ceramic is awesome to cut with... if the application is right.

We run a 718 Inconel job faster than I've seen anywhere.

Here's the recipe:

1) 1.25dia X 3flt Kennemetal Facemill (.25rad inserts)

2)Kennematal ceramic inserts: KIPR125RP43540

3)4584 RPM and 41.25 IPM.

4).100" axial cut

5)Full dia cut

6)Run dry!

Oh yes..

7)50 taper horizontal mill.

You will see the prettiest color of orange-red chips spewing off the cutter. The work doesn't get hot and you get great cutter life.

HTH

Dan

quote:

Didn't Hardmill post a video cutting a smiley face in inconnel at 3000sfm?

I got video somewhere. id need to search. headscratch.gif

quote:

I’d personally like to see glowing chips fly off an inconel part!

Not me... its usually the endmill burning up

With recent technology glowing chips are a good thing.

It means the tool geo is working as designed and

is pushing all the heat into the chip where it belongs.

You can usually place your hand on the work piece as soon as

it finished cutting.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Anybody noted difference when use 45 Face mill vs. button mill with round inserters?

One my college said he always prefer to use 45 Face mill for cut flat planes with weld cladding Inconel

and did not use mill with right angle inserters on helical rough cut in holes with weld cladding Inconel

I work in the Kennametal World Headquarters building in Latrobe, PA. They run the smiley face demo next door to our lab in Kennametals Prototype Lab. It is pretty wild to see in person.

Story goes that it was discovered they could cut it that fast with ceramic inserts by mistake. I guess a programmer typed in something wrong and they hit the button and it started cutting. It seemed like it was working, so they let it go and found out that they could do it.

quote:

Story goes that it was discovered they could cut it that fast with ceramic inserts by mistake. I guess a programmer typed in something wrong and they hit the button and it started cutting. It seemed like it was working, so they let it go and found out that they could do it.

Push it til it breaks, then back off 10% smile.gif

I always start with approx. 35 sfm and .0015 to .002 ipt using solid carbide. My theory is get in and get out taking as much as the machine and cutter will handle because the cutters will wear fast and the material will work harden. Ceramics are great and as mentioned need a good rigid set-up. We used Greenleaf ceramic round inserts for facing and had great success. Do a search here because I know there is another thread on this topic and you'll find some good info there. smile.gif