Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chris Moffatt

JimFalbe

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad your OK Chris.

My 11 yr. old son just had a wreck on his motorcyle bout a week ago. Front brake locked up on him and tossed him over the handle bars. Luckily he had his full face helmet on. He ended up with scratches, bruises and a pair of wet pants rolleyes.gif . But, Im thankful he listened and wears his full face helment.

Full face helments are a PITA until you need them. Anyone on a bike should wear one.

Chris, glad your up and about, ditto on the full coverage face helmet for me also(cept I was young and totally screwin around and got slammed down face first on U.S. 40 and chewed the face of helmet but good, gotta a broken wrist only)...I will still refrain from any "bed-pan" jokes rolleyes.gif

My wife and I took a ride out to the "accident" site yesterday afternoon [i still have no recollection of the crash at all and very little of the entire day leading up to it] and though it didn't bring back any new memories it did get me mad. The guy who turned across my lane and took me out had a good 100 YARDS of straight, wide, roadway to see me coming; the old "he came out of nowhere" BS sounded pretty hollow to me looking at the scene. The investigating office with the local cops is supposed to call me today, hopefully I can get some more information from him.

Thanks for all of the good wishes, guys, the road to recovery is going to be long but at least it is begun.

Nothing yet, Kevin. I went down to the hospital Tuesday afternoon for my first follow-up appointment and they said that I'm "progressing well" but gave me no real idea how long things are going to take. They also removed the last of the staples from the incision they made from my sternum down to my pelvis and removed the stitches from my left elbow [which was a "disgusting mess" according to the wife] and removed the stitches from my left lower jawline as well. My teeth have apparently 're-seated' in my lower jaw because they were loose after the crash but aren't lose now and my jaw fracture seems to be mending OK because I really don't have any pain there and I can bite down OK. I have another follow-up next Tuesday with an orthopedist to assess the damage done to my knees but my range of motion seems to be getting better and I'm feeling less pain down there so hopefully that'll be a 'self-healing' deal. The big appointment is going to be with the spine guys, which is in another couple weeks, to see if my neck ligaments and muscles look good enough to take this GD cervical collar off. Right now I have to wear a hard collar 24/7 to protect my neck because when I hit the ground with my helmet I apparently stretched the crap out of everything in there.

I've lost 29 pounds in just over 2 weeks [262 to 233 as of Tuesday] and I'm feeling pretty low [tough to go from big strong guy who's running sh!t to broken down old geezer who can't put his own socks on] but I'm trying to stay as positive as I can and just trying to hold things together inside my brain until I'm well again. This has been a tough deal so far but I could've been injured far worse so I try to look at the upside as much as I can.

C

Chris, I know it's got to be really hard for you to think about it, but you can get up every day. You seem to be seeing improvements as well as your doctors. You still get to be with your family, it could have been much worse for you and for them. Try, as hard as it may be to keep focus on the positives. Keep your family and friends close, you are lucky to be alive and on the mend. Get well soon and remember there are lots of people praying and pulling for you to return to your normal life.

quote:

[tough to go from big strong guy who's running sh!t to broken down old geezer who can't put his own socks on]

Atleast you have a good excuse! I feel like that and I don't even own a motorcycle. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I'm glad you survived. We had a good guy here at work that died when some dumb kid pulled out in front of him on his way home from work. One minute we're saying "See ya tomorrow" and an hour later he's dead.

quote:

[tough to go from big strong guy who's running sh!t to broken down old geezer who can't put his own socks on]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya Chris, you really aren't an old geezer until you start pulling your shirt "up" and your pants "down" to start showing everyone your scars...you aren't doin that are you? tongue.gif (when I was young, all the old toolmakers that had open heart surgery would do that, some things you just don't wanna see) rolleyes.gif

Thanks guys, for all of the kind words. I am, slowly getting better physically and trying to keep myself in check mentally while I heal. I am very thankful to be alive and have all my limbs working [though sometimes they hurt like hell] and my brain as functional as it was before the accident [how functional that is can be debated, but it works], but at the same time I am very angry that I am in this position at all. I was simply riding my [only about a month old] motorcycle down a wide, straight road, at a legal speed and BANG somebody took me down because they "couldn't see me" because of the setting sun. It is not productive to be angry but sometimes I am just overcome with outrage that I'm in this condition at all; luckily I was not injured more severely or I'm sure I would be consumed by this anger. Hopefully my emotions will heal as my body does and I can resume my "normal" life in fairly short order.

Thanks again, guys, for all of the kind words and support.

C