Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Performance ideas

I am programming a physically larger part.

When I click on the menus to pick drive surfaces or check surfaces or edit and parameters I am seeing lags of a couple of minutes in some cases.

Accept drive surface, wait a minute while the syetm chugs away, click on check surfaces, accept, wait on the system to chug away, pick on the containment boundary, wait on the system to chug away.

All of my geometry is prepped and it has taken over 20 minutes JUST to pick it for cutting

Other files are fine, granted they are not a large, it is just this file it seems

+1 to Kannon.

Typically I have a solid and create only the surfaces I am driving from it. Occaisionally I will dump the solid out of the file too if it gets cumbersome.

I don't use solid toolpaths. Got into the groove of this and found it saves alot of time on the bigger parts with no real loss on smaller ones.

quote:

I used surfaces also and deleted the solid. Even having the solid blanked with no toolpaths referencing it would slow everything to a crawl.

Bruce..have you tried putting the solid on a different level and turning it off? I like to keep my solid in case of any revisions.. I hate it when I open a file and find that I need to alter a radius and now it is only a surface. Much easier to modify it as a solid then turn to surfaces again and reselect the geometry for toolpaths in my opinion.

I dont know if it lags the system by putting the solid on a different level and shutting it off or not. headscratch.gif need a test.. biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Im working with a solid model right now that I couldnt

get any toolpaths(surface) to work.

Was giving me fits. I deleted it and imported it and

brought in as only surfs and all is well.

I rarely ever use solids to drive surface toolpaths

for just this reason.

PEACE biggrin.gif

I routinely run parts over 40-60". The biggest problem solvers are:

a) All wire on a different level. Turned off till needed.

B) Solids regen much slower than surfaces. Turned off till needed.

c) No outline on shading. EVER

d) RAM Saver is your friend. If/when you start getting goofy "checkered overlay" looking shading, it's time to run again.

e) Biggest improvement is running Ramdisk Plus, and setting temp and regen directories to that ramdisk location. Regens, level on/off. redraws time dropped < 1/2.

• 1 year later...

Does it have anything to do with the type of surfaces mastercam is set up to create? I'm having the same problem with a 25 inch long 5.5 dia model that i essentially wraped a 7/16 round bar around with a 1.75 lead helix. I did a boolean add to combine them and then I converted the solid to surfaces. I did alt-s to shade and it started thinking. I came back 20 minutes later and it hadn't shaded it yet. The cpu was pegger at 25% (a great advantage to having a quad core, 1 core is used) Then I got a bunch of out of ram errors because mcam was using 230mb of the 2gb system ram. I eventually just had to alt-ctrl-del out of it because it didn't seem as it was ever going to respond. I thought this would be a quick turn-around on just running a basic time check program, but not at all. Half the day back and forth and never even had a chance to tool it. I guess I just need to stay away from solids and surfaces unless someone has a workaround. I tried loading the file after the mu2 update but it did the same thing. I created everything entireley in Mcam.