Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3

Lee.

quote:

Ive had the opportunity to dabble with allot of cam systems out there and have never come across one with the amount of buggs that mastercam has.

Well THAT'S the problem you've only dabbled.

I've used and been productive with no less than 6 other system, from lesser lights to heavy weights.

THEY ALL have had bugs, every damn one of them.

One BIG company releases bug fixes almost every week.

They all have their warts

Now personally, since the inception of the update manager I had "hoped" CNC Software would choose to use this to update hot fixes and small things along the way. While saving major updates to include new functionality and new installations.

Alas the update manager is for the most part unused.

quote:

Well THAT'S the problem you've only dabbled.

While that may be true, some of the "dabbling" was quite extensive. I found buggs in mastercam right away. More importantly, work losing catastrophic buggs. Some software took me weeks to start finding the buggs if I found any at all. Not saying that there werent any.

quote:

I've used and been productive with no less than 6 other system, from lesser lights to heavy weights.

Ive played with about the same amount. Probably around 6 or 7 ranging from low to high end using 4 of them to make a living for years. I still use three at the moment and mastercam is by far the worst one when it comes to buggs and losing work. Since I started using mastercam I now use the Backup function and it has saved my A$$ on several occasions.

quote:

One BIG company releases bug fixes almost every week.

I sure wish that Mastercam would do this. If they would at least show that they are making an effort to fix the buggs instead of just letting us live with and work around them then my boss probably wouldnt have half the heart ache that he has for mastercam. I myself am starting to like the software and if it were more stable I would surely like it a heck of allot more.

Neurosis, seriously, what kind of bugs do you see? I use MC every day with almost no bugs. Had a huge prob last week (took 4 days to figure out) and though it seemed like a problem with MC, it was a corupted windows file.

Maybe you should look at something else on your computer or hardware first and sse if that could be the problem. Worth a look with all the 'bugs' you seem to see.

I am with Eric on this one. I use it every day, maybe not for the high end surfacing or 5 axis milling, but for what I do (lathe/mill + multitasking machine work) I rarely encounter a problem.

As JP stated above, there is issues with every software package. Are you going to stop using Windows because it has the most bugs in it and Linux is more stable? I doubt it, the support & availablity of people in other feilds -of Cam software- is a lot less.

I take it as it is, give my 2c to the QC dept. when issues arise and continue to be productive with what I would call my software of choice. End of story.

JM2c

Hi Dave,

Long time, no see. I'd like to get together with you and talk about some of these bugs that are causing you problems. Perhaps I can suggest some options to make your life easier.

If you are willing to come up to my place in Lynnwood on a Saturday or Sunday, we can go over some of the things that are causing you pain.

The only cost would be a 6 pack of some good beer wink.gif

I think all the bugs people talk about are caused by many problems I have been using mastercam for many years and I very seldom have bug issues. The place I see problems is when big companys have all kinds of software and spyware running When I was at a smaller company I speced the computer nothing extra on it just word excell outlook and zune software rarely ever had problems.

quote:

If they would at least show that they are making an effort to fix the buggs instead of just letting us live with and work around them then my boss probably wouldnt have half the heart ache that he has for mastercam.

They've shown it, you just haven't seen it. Check out the What's New file that's in the documentation folder with each install. wink.gif

Thad

quote:

since the inception of the update manager I had "hoped" CNC Software would choose to use this to update hot fixes and small things along the way. While saving major updates to include new functionality and new installations

John nailed it here.

Big fat +1 to this one.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you listened to a lot of people, they'd lead you to believe CNC has not fixed anything ever. rolleyes.gif

Being on the fanboy squad biggrin.giftongue.gif , errrrr, Beta Tester Squad, allows me to see quite the contrary.

Somethign to note; just because a bug is something major to YOU, does not mean that it really is major in the whole scheme of things. You may be one of two people experiencing that particular bug. So do they fry your 2 person bug or do they fry a big daddy that 5,000 people are sending them a report on???

idea.gifflame.gif

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few. firebounce.gifflame.gif

quote:

...Who is opting for Esprit?...

I have just spent quite a bit of time working a post over for our first Star Swiss type CNC's. It is ok for about 80% of the parts going through that machine. Definitely not what I would calla great solution.

I got quotes today on 2-3 more Star/Citizen/Hanwha swiss type that are larger and more complex. I have to say that I do not intend on going through the same post ordeal again. I will be adding $20000 to my financials for software. If Mastercam has released MMT by then and it can do what we need I will buy another seat of Mastercam, if I will have to look elsewhere.