Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Work Slowing Down Everywhere?

Daniel M

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Depends on the sector. A LOT of shops I know have more than they know what to do with. But this is high-end stuff. 4-Axis type MINIMUM, not VMC 4-Axis either. Lot's of 5-axis work out there. But that's SoCal.

here in Toronto Canada we're not slow ,were dead. nothing for my 3 mills in the last week or so. The owner says it doesn't look promising. We are a tool and die shop so that explanes alot. I've kept myself busy making so odds and ends for a few friends that make costom trikes but not enough to stay busy for 8 hours. Hope we get something soon.

There seems to be little in between.

Shops that run high end equipment and jobs are for the most part busy.

Shop that are for lack of a better term, bottom feeding on stuff most shop can do are having a very hard time. Unless of course you managed to find a niche.

Medical work seems to be doing well for the most part.

It seems like shops are either booked out for 2 years or wondering if they will still be in business in 3 months. Not alot of in-between.

JM2C

The Boeing strike hurt locally here as suppliers were forced to cut back production. Spirit went on 3 day work weeks, lots of small shop "layed off" I.E. used the opportunity to clean up house a little. Other shops cut hours, a few cut overtime. Now Cessna and Hawker-Beechcraft are talking about layoffs.

We are still doing well though, although overtime is going to be monitored more closely.

We are busier than ever. Even with the Boeing strike. Mostly aero thin wall Ti castings. 5ax stuff nobody else can or wants to do. But even our Boeing stuff didn't slow too much except the commercial side.

Any good 5axis guys (programmers and machinists) want a job in Salem? Shoot me a line.

quote:

---------------------------------------------

they got rid of 4 people yesterday.no overtime for anyone.learned a good lesson yesterday that there are some cut throat backstabbin people here.

----------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear that Del,

We went from 65 hours down to 45 and there are a few guys working 50 or more. I got burned out working 65 hours all summer so I'm doing my 45 and goin home for now.

We are very busy here with existing work. The guys on the floor are working @ least 10 hrs. + Saturdays. I am crazy busy making programs for new jobs. We do a lot of multi axis work on hi-temp alloys (pretty large in size), so a lot of places don't even want to touch this kind of work.

In London Ontario Canada, most shops are dead too.

We are laging in CNC casting machining production but our mold shop is fairly steady to busy.

We do a lot of prototyping and our method is

relatively inexpensive to prototype All-356 and Za-12 casting in. So we get sporadically swamped a few times a year

I have a few buddies off work due to cut backs frown.gif

Columbo

quote:

Depends on what type of work........I know in the aerospace industry we are very SLOW....and I am on ling island

Your in Freeport,

As far as I know LI Aerospace is a Roller Coaster in this area. Niche is where it's at here, or deep Roots.

You have mail!