Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Gouges with Filter On in X3

ARP

Got in this morning to see a finished aluminum part with 2 gouges in it. It is now at the weld shop banghead.gifmad.gif

Surface toolpath was Parallel. When the filter is set to 2:1 the toolpath makes an arc in the YZ plane when going over an edge and gouges. If the filter is off, no gouges. WTH? It seems the filter option works against you when you most need it. If the filter is off, I get a jerky motion on the machine so I turn it on. I'll send the part to my local Mastercam dealer but I trust you guys more for a better answer.

I'll try to give some screen shots.

I have found that the filtered toolpath always has little gouges (sometimes big), but the unfiltered point-to point is fine if you reduce your tolerance to .0001". Makes huge program, but very smooth motion, as long as the surfaces are smooth. Also may take verify a day or two to get through it, and will probably crash before it finishes. Had some luck using an stl of the model as stock and running verify to check for gouges-.

Good luck!

Roger,

The gouge does show in Verify and if you really scrutinize the toolpath in backplot you will see the problem area but I'm trying to learn more about the filter and its issues so that I don't need to spend so much time checking the toolpath before I run it.

If I chage the Min Arc to .050" from .005 then the gouge arc goes away.

We run Haas VF2's.(sorry, no flame please)

Steve, I agree. What's the purpose of the filter if it makes the part worse??? Shouldn't the filter smooth out the motion AND make less code?

I'd like to attach pixs here but I need a url or something to post from. I can't cut and paste.

Go into MCAMX control panel applet and turn OFF the 'New Arc Filter'

I had that same issue, luckily it was in areas that were able to be welded, if it were part detail I would have had to order new steel. mad.gif

Since turning it off I haven't had the problem.

I had this exact problem with a part last week. It only occured when I turned the filter up to high (less accurate). I agree with Louis, the best way to fix this is to tighten on your tolerance.

I run a VF3 and have gotten with our dealer about the jerky problem. As I am sure you know HAAS are not great highspeed machines. But if accuracy is not an issue then you can make setting adjustments to your machine to make it run faster.

Setting 85 and 191 work together to control the machines accuracy. Change 191 from Finish or Medium to Medium or Rough.

quote:

Can you give a screen shot or walk me through where this is? Do you go into Machine Definition?

Start, Mastercam X3 Folder, MCAMX Control Panel Applet, Toolpath Support, Change 'New Arc Filter' to 'Disable'

Be sure to restart Mastercam for it to take effect

EazyE,

We have 2 seats of M/C and I run X2 and my buddy runs X3. He was the victim of the gouge. I went thru control panel (found out its actually Windows - Control panel - double click on X icon)and I don't get the option about the "New" filter in X2. We disabled the "new filter" in X3 and presto chango... teh stinkin' gouges no there.

I'm going to program the part in X2 and see what happens.

+1 CDL2042...I find these "improvements" a bit suspect.

Thanks Midwest...I'll check it out.