Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas 4th axis rotation direction

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm with Jay. Get the post to do it correctly because otherwise you'll have 10 years worth of programs to go through and change. It is a setting in the Machien Def. Open it up, double click on the B Axis and flip the direction.

That should do it if CNC did MD/CD correctly.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I don't know why they choose to incorrectly refer to their "A" axis as "B" axis. That just chaps me. Hello... McFly... X,Y,Z,A,B,C. It's how it's supposed to be.

in regard to this. what direction do you look at the 4th axis to decide if it is turning clockwise or counter clockwise??

I to had this problem and tried to change the direction on the rotary axis page in MC. as far as i can see this button did nothing at all,

but yeah the place to change it is in the post.

• 12 years later...

Seriously why doesn't Haas follow right hand rule. when I started at the shop im at now they had two vf2 with the small haas 5th axis trunnions(TR200Y). They both rotate backwards i.e. positive rotation on A axis brings the bottom of trunnion up toward operator and the platter faces toward back of the machine. But now I Have to program for our larger 5th axis trunnion(TRT160) on the VF4 and positive rotation is opposite of what are smaller VF2 machines do. What do you guys suggest? As of now after reading this post from 12 years ago my plan is to just make a copy of my current post, CD and MD then rename and reverse it in the MD.

4 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Seriously why doesn't Haas follow right hand rule. when I started at the shop im at now they had two vf2 with the small haas 5th axis trunnions(TR200Y). They both rotate backwards i.e. positive rotation on A axis brings the bottom of trunnion up toward operator and the platter faces toward back of the machine. But now I Have to program for our larger 5th axis trunnion(TRT160) on the VF4 and positive rotation is opposite of what are smaller VF2 machines do. What do you guys suggest? As of now after reading this post from 12 years ago my plan is to just make a copy of my current post, CD and MD then rename and reverse it in the MD.

Depending on the post is should be just a simple switch to change that output direction and everything you do for one would just need that switched changed to work for the other. Yes this will require the MMD and CMD for that post to do what you want, but you start swapping things without a clear understanding of what it will do and it can create a nightmare really quick.

• Like 1

https://www.haascnc.com/service/troubleshooting-and-how-to/how-to/reverse-rotary-direction-setup---ngc.html

You could always reverse the direction of the Rotary Axis.

One thing you will see on the Next Generation Controls > In order for TCP and DWO to work properly, you must setup the Rotary Axes to match the ANSI/ISO standard directions. This means "A > Rotates on X", "B > Rotates on Y", and "C > Rotates on Z".

• Like 2
On 6/2/2009 at 12:11 PM, Guest CNC Apps Guy 1 said:

I don't know why they choose to incorrectly refer to their "A" axis as "B" axis. That just chaps me. Hello... McFly... X,Y,Z,A,B,C. It's how it's supposed to be.

Got to indulge and take the opportunity to vent,  from repressed annoyance at how stupid and unnecessary this was by Haas. I programmed a couple of HS1's several years back, and programmers being a fastidious bunch, no surprise and a bit reassuring to know that it irked others too. What the heck was Haas' rationale for doing this?