Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Selling my seat

ftroop59

You don't.. read the licensing agreement

C:Mcam9mlicense.pdf

You may be able to sell it to someone,

but the buyer will not be able to

upgrade it without paying a serious upgrade fee

If you read the license doc, you'll see that you

didn't buy Mastercam, you leased the rights to use it

and you do not have the rights to transfer the lease.

Long story short.. you may sell the HASP

to someone but the buyer is getting hosed

quote:

I was told I would have to buy the whole business

If you're talking about a guy like

me, who contracts out of my spare

bedroom, you could make a good arguement

that the HASP was the whole business.

[ 07-27-2009, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

quote:

you can't sell what you don't own.. you are leasing the rights to use thier intellectual property

It’s semantics. What do you image the reason is for not being able to sell your license? Like I said, it’s about more sales for them. And, you purchase the license, not lease. Again, it's all semantics

quote:

it's all semantics

No.. its a legal agreememnt you entered into when you installed the software... the same agreement that governs the use of virtally evey software on the market.

You do not own Mastercam, you have leased the rights to use it and CNC Software can revoke it

if you violate the TOS.

A couple of years ago Autodesk sued a guy who bought some obsolete Autocad seats from a community college then resold them on Ebay.

Autodesk lost and there was some debate the suit

would result in changes to software licensing.

Doesn't seem to have happened though.

"you leased the rights to use it

and you do not have the rights to transfer the lease."

-----------------------------------------------

Doesn't this apply to most software packages today?

Solidworks is the same as far as we can tell.

It's hard to accept from an owners point of view but nobody focuses on this detail when they're trying to justify buying the thing in the first place.

That would imply either the product has limited long term value, or you don't expect to be in business long term and are interested in re-sale value.

Technically you should only ever pay maitence IMO, I bought my seat of Solidworks by taking over the contracted loan agreement from my closing employer, if this were same situation I actually would be interested, Mill 1 doesnt get me much but its upgradable, instead of looking at that they just say nope. I was offered the same companies paid for seat of Mcam and the Lic. transfer was 1/2 the seat cost for Mill Lev 3 with solids at the time (v9) just starting my business I couldnt do it then. There should be no thousandes up front if its leased property, just mait.

quote:

I wonder what

a accountant woul say?

It's an asset and that's why it's transferable if you sell the company.

quote:

No.. its a legal agreememnt you entered into when you installed the software... the same agreement that governs the use of virtally evey software on the market.

I'm well aware of the terms of the purchase.

Again,

it's all semantics. It does not mean I would break the agreement, I just don't agree with it. However, I DO give the software companies credit for sticking togther, something that job shops should learn to do then maybe we could charge more fair rates.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I DO give the software companies credit for sticking togther, something that job shops should learn to do then maybe
we could charge more fair rates
our industry would get healthier...

Fissed. biggrin.gifwink.gif