Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Who draw their parts in MasterCam

ostie01

I just would like to know who draw the part they work on directly with MasterCam design.

Or you use another cad system and transfert the part in MasterCam.

The more I work with MasterCam design, the more I like it, not that it could replace a cad system but often I can ear some claiming that they have trouble transfering the part in Mastercam even if they have MasterCam direct with SolidWorks, Catia or Inventor.

Thanks for your reply

Jeff

I do and draw some pretty complex solids with it. I tell people that if you can machine it then you can draw it in Mastercam. A lot of my geometry to make solids is done like I am machining it. I make forgings and solids just like they are being machined and then use that to spot check operations using Verisurf. I have had only one part I could not draw and no one with a CAD system could have since it was missing dimensions to draw it.

I have no problem bringing in Solidworks, Catia, or other files with X4.

HTH

We draw pretty much nothing with Mastercam, everything is imported some good some bad. Pro-e, UG, and Cadkey. We only draw in Mastercam to help support the machining process. We build plastic injection molds, and the customer dictates the software that is used for the design process a lot of the time.

Erik

I create much of the geometry we machine in Mastercam; for simple geometry I find that I am faster in MC than I am in AutoCAD [which I have been using for 20 years, so I'm not a neophyte] and Mastercam's trimming [of everything but circles, for which it sucks IMO] works better than anything else I have used. I import Inventor, AutoCAD, and Solidworks files as well with no real issues. We do not typically work with especially complex geometry here anyway.

C

I import mainly Autocad 2007 drawings into mastercam, but have the capacity to draw and import Inventor 2008 ipt files directly, and do so for a lot of 3D stuff. Also some models come in from Rhino 4.

Sometimes for surface finish flowline toolpaths

I have begun to actually redo the surfaces in Mastercam to get flowlines to work correctly.

I have reviewed the excellent examples of some of the more advanced surface modeling techniques

from the mcxdesignsamples folder and am very impressed with tool set.

Also, I have automated some of my geometry drawing by utilizing Mastercam VB Scripts, and have been happy with the results ... stuff gets drawn on specific layers and then ATP'd.

If I design something (parts, fixtures, etc.) 95% of the time I will use solidworks.

I avoid mastercam design whenever possible.

If I want to use a clunky interface and make parts/assemblies that are non-parametric, well then I'll use design. A "real" cad package is so far superior.

This is for my application, and is my opinion about mcx's interface.

Sometimes I will put certain solid model features native to mcx, so I can suppress or change them when programming. errr slightly parametric I suppose then headscratch.gif

I draw 95% in MasterCAM but that is slowly changing.

I am starting to do a good bit of work in Rapidform. It is much more user friendly with the "organic" shapes I have to draw for architectural metals we make.

I can sculpt some organic parts, scan them with the 3D scanner, then export to MC to set tool paths.