Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is it time to destroy MU1 and upgrade to MU2

Code_Breaker

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...The new 2010 Esprit came Monday...

What a co-inky-dink, mine did also. Have not installed it yet. 'Course, I'll only use it for Multi-Tasking Lathe Stuff... I'm cool with Mastercam Mill, and CATIA.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Everyone should vote ...

1st off Code I lost my job because I missed a work around.... and a multi axis program they ran on my day off took 9hrs to run and hours of manual editing at the machine... so my vote would be a waste of time. Its funny now how little this all matters now. CNC will fix some things but so be it, companys don't want to hear about work arounds, or its a new bug they are working on it, the programmer is the one that answeres not CNC until the company has had enough and learns the truth. Until then let CNC have my vote...IDMS

quote:

Been away from MCAM a few days. The new 2010 Esprit came Monday and I've been checking it out.

A shop I worked for 12 years ago just changed over from Mastercam to Esprit. They could not get mill / turn post to work on a new Mori and said thats it. Another decent sized shop with 9 seats 5ax I was Supervisor for recently changed to UG. I hope Mastercam doesn't get complacent and pull a GM on us....if so it will be all over before they realize it cuz its already happening IMO.

It does seem that lately they don't have enough good developers or maybe only some of them speak English.

After all it is a private company, so they can set their priorities any way they like.

As far as crashes, I don't have many of them. When it comes to bugs they don't bother me that much, I learned to work around them. But my co-workers are a different story. We have 5 seats, and if it was up to them we'd be using something else.

Over the last year I've done a lot of multiaxis stuff and majority of times that I have trouble is with large mc and stl files...

Sometimes I wonder if the available work simply got a lot more complex and difficult , and that mc was always like that, but we never really noticed it frown.gif

Interesting thread this one, I also have had no crashing issues with X4 MU1

My files are generally 10-60 meg

they are mainly Multitasking, 5 axis and 3+2 milling parts.

I generally always have the following apps running at some time or another with mastercam, and always only one session of X4

Outlook 2007

Excel 2007

Word 2007

Vericut 7

Solidworks 2009 SP4.1

Cimco V5.5

Firefox 3.5

My system is

lenovo T60P notebook

Windoze XP SP3 32 bit

2gig ram - With no 3GB switch

ATI FireGL V5200

I have all of the latest Microsoft patches I do not have autosave or autobackup turned on in Mastercam. I also use Cimco HSM performance pack for mastercam. All 3D and 5X toolpaths are taken from surfaces never solids. Also I do not use STL files for anything, Maybe STL files have something to do with the problems others are having?

quote:

AFAIK, no I did not. Is it enabled by default?

Ummm...I am not sure...It depends on your OS version and hardware that enables DEP. I was assuming that if someone had 4 gig of ram on board when they installed the OS, XP would turn it on.

Otherwise the system could not make use of the extra RAM so why even have 4 gig installed in the first place... headscratch.gif

You can also check your boot.ini file.

Still trying to get a handle on it...

Been studing the problem on this GREAT site---->Ask the Performance Team

do a search for memory 101 and they have all the info laid out in laymans terms...

The 3/gig switch is explained in detail.

If I understand it correctly, the 3/gig switch is only intended as a work around on 32-bit systems so they can actually use 4 gig of ram..

quote:

My files are generally 10-60 meg

I have minor problems under 65 MB, but anything over that, wow ...

I used RAM saver alot, but mostly, I have to get out of mastercam and get back in ... for example, a solid will become unselectable ... can't rotate, translate, pick an point on it, delete it, change levels, nothing ... it is as though it is not there ...

Sometimes this happens with enitities as well, you click on it and nothing ... most time the RAM saver help on this one ...

Deleted enitities don't disappear ... selection color stops working ... windowing frame is blank ... toolpath groups turns into machine groups ... machine groups properties disappears ... operation move between 'tool settting" and "stock setup" under machine group properties ... on and on I could go ... especially, about STL files and verify ...

I restart Mastercam about 4-5 times per hour ... frown.gif

PS ... did all the suggestions in this forum ... undated all drivers ... change OS to Windows 7 with 64-bit and 12 GB of RAM ...

PPS ...

quote:

Sometimes I wonder if the available work simply got a lot more complex and difficult , and that mc was always like that, but we never really noticed it

Might be true ... all my previous work have been small and a different file was used for every operation on the part ... now, all operations in in one files, and some parts are 15 foot in length ... lot more complex ...

quote:

Sometimes this happens with enitities as well, you click on it and nothing ... most time the RAM saver help on this one ...

Deleted enitities don't disappear ... selection color stops working ... windowing frame is blank ... toolpath groups turns into machine groups ... machine groups properties disappears ... operation move between 'tool settting" and "stock setup" under machine group properties ... on and on I could go ... especially, about STL files and verify ...

The "Regenerate Display List" command sometimes helps with this stuff.. Its the paintbrush on the orange background.

I used to have this porblem a lot but can't recall the last time it happend.. no idea why..

quote:

in the upcoming X4 Mu2

I hope soon, my boss decided NOT to replace a Mastercammer that is quitting, with another Mastercammer ... he changing systems if improvement doesn't come soon ...

PS The "Regenerate Display List" command worked on the solid problem ... so far cool.gifbiggrin.gif

[ 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Code_Breaker ]

Don,

I think you've got your solids and shading

settings set too tight for large

solids.

You have twice the video card/computer I do

yet I work with solids 3 or 4 times

that size without trouble.

It does take a while to shade a solid that big,

but the loosing of selectabilty on big solids is rare

these days.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's an awful tight chord height. I leave mine at .001 unless it's necessary to go tighter (i.e. smaller parts). All your parts are big. No way would I run that tight.

JM2C

quote:

I have my parameters Chord height set to .0002

With large models, you'll get much

better video performance if you crank that

up some.

Models will shade faster, zoom and pan more smoothly etc etc etc.. and it has no effect on the

accuracy of created geometry or gcode output.

The models I work with are typically very large

( not in bytes, but physical size)

and I run with a chord height of .002.

With really big stuff, I'll crank it up to .005"

Try shading a solid model that's 100 x 65 X 14 "

with a couple of thousand holes and o-ring grooves

on 5 faces.

My video card would roll over and die with chord height set to .0002 biggrin.gif

4.5 versions of X and Mastercam still cant put out a decent product.

updates still break more then they fix.

still highly unstable

still no 64 bit support

still riddled with bugs...

WTF? Mastercrash is FAR behind in computing technology.

Is Mastercam being programmed in India?

mad.gif

oh yeah, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!! biggrin.gif

[ 11-25-2009, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: RandleXX ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

updates still break more then they fix

headscratch.gif

I dunno about that. Does each update break something? Yeah probably. Does it break more functions than it fixes? I SERIOUSLY doubt it.

quote:

still highly unstable

For some, but not for others. My system is VERY stable. I've not had a crash this week and I've been doing some extremely intricate 5-Ax stuff with a boatload of surfacing toolpaths as well. Actually this file I'm working on has broken my record for number of ops (532), number of tools(203) AND file size (437MB) I've not even had a crash because of my SpaceNavigator with MU2 yet I believe.

quote:

still no 64 bit support

headscratch.gif I could swear MANY users in here are running MC on 64bit systems. Am I wrong?

quote:

ALL software will ALWAYS be riddled with bugs

fissed biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

quote:

WTF? Mastercrash is FAR behind in computing technology.

How so? Some COMPUTING examples of what other software does that Mastercam needs would be nice to hear about.

quote:

Is Mastercam being programmed in India?

eek.gif

I think the folks working in Connecticut just may take offense to that.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could swear MANY users in here are running MC on 64bit systems. Am I wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually X4 is designed to use 64 bit

That's what I thought.

RandleXX is just a hater. biggrin.giftongue.gif