Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Programmer and Machinist Opportunities

Brian Cerkas

Hello:

I'm a technical recruiter specializing in the CNC Machining and tooling industry. I do permanent placement recruiting of CNC Engineers, Programmers, Machinists and Maintenance Technicians nationwide.

I have opportunities across the country and even when there isn't necessarily an opportunity in a person's area if they are good I can market them and make opportunities.

My contact information, company website, address etc is listed below. Please forward resumes to [email protected].

I would be happy to speak with you, go over your skill sets, experience and find out what kind of opportunities you would be looking for in your search.

No blinders here and I am specific to the CNC industry for permanent placement recruitment. I don't sling and fling resumes I find out the motivations of my candidate and line their skills up with my clients and their needs so it's a good fit for both sides.

I am discreet, I don't give companies my candidates names until an interview is set up at the same time I protect the interests of my clients in confidential searches.

Regards,

Brian Cerkas

Technical Resources, Inc.

3030 Warrenville Road Suite 315

Lisle, IL 60532

Ph: 630-995-4100 Ext 211

Fax 630-995-4107

Toll Free 866-419-6995

www.techrecruiting.com

[email protected]

Yes he did and he also posted it in another thread. He has sent me 3 emails after I commented on it yesterday. The only thing I was saying is maybe he should give us more info on the jobs he has to fill or at least where they are located.

quote:

The only thing I was saying is maybe he should give us more info on the jobs he has to fill or at least where they are located.

Ben,

Head hunters are like real estate brokers, they want to add clients and prospects to there toolbox. So, he probably wants to add people he does not have particular jobs for so when a fit comes up he can say “hey, I’ve got a good guy that can fill this slot.”

Personally, I hate the whole employment agency thing. I don’t see a need to put middle men in the mix.

quote:

Personally, I hate the whole employment agency thing. I don’t see a need to put middle men in the mix.

Dave,

I couldn't agree more. I sent him an email back saying I was just trying to give him some advice and still he keeps asking for my resume and starts talking about a 5 axis job in California. I like to see it when jobs get posted in here but you should only post it when you have a specific position to fill not when you’re just looking for resumes.

Gentlemen:

If I listed every position that I have I would have a lot of writing to do. Not everyone is qualified for each position. Companies use me so they don't get bombarded with unqualified candidates sending them resumes or walking through their door claiming they can do the job. Their time is important and I help save them time and money from going through hundreds of resumes, phone calls, etc to sort out the diamond in the rough.

There is far more to anyone of you than just a resume and I bring that to light with my clients and hiring authorities.

You need to have the goods in order for me to send your profile over to prospective clients. I don't send a 4 axis VMC Programmer to a position if they are looking for 5 Axis experience or twin spindle experience.

Clients give me a long list of criteria that they want in a candidates experience before they will even speak to them.

If you walk into a company that doesn't have positions you generally will be asked to fill out an application and or leave your resume. That piece of paper is the only thing that they have to define what you bring to the table. I am able to bring those skills to light as I have contact with companies even when they don't have openings, but sometimes the right individual can open doors and create positions.

Ben mentioned that I asked for his resume and that is true. I need that for starters to get a feel for what he is about. How else can I get things rolling for a candidate?

That being said I have opportunities in Florida, Chicago, IL area, Southeastern WI, California/ LA area, Alabama, Texas Dallas and Houston area, Multiple positions in New England in various states, Philadelphia, PA area, Cleveland, OH area, Rochester NY area, South Carolina and North Carolina, Rockford, IL area.

Each position is unique with various parameters for each position. I have spots for in house Application Engineers, Process Engineers, CNC Programmers, Machinists, CMM programmers, Quality Engineers, CNC maintenance technicians, Manufacturing Engineers, Senior Engineers, Design Engineers, Sales Engineers.

When the Machine tool industry picks up I work with Machine Tool OEM's and distributors across the country in filling Application and Field Service Engineering positions.

Some positions require 3 axis,some 4 axis and some 5 axis 3+2 or 4+1 or one specifies "true 5 Axis" experience, Single Spindle lathe, twin spindle/twin turret multi axis Mill/Turn lathe, CNC Swiss Multi axis, Wire EDM, one with Sinker EDM. It varies, but each position has it's on specifications from the employer that must be met.

Some positions require a 4 year degree, some a 2 year degree regardless of experience, or some with applied experience. There are so many variables. Some will help with relocation, some will not, etc.

Clients/ Hiring Authorities want at least 8 out of 10 for a position and I make sure they get that.

So that's why I ask for a resume and then want to speak with each candidate so I can find them the best situation for them and their family as well as meet the criteria for the Company/ hiring authority. If I do my job right then everybody wins.

Other recruiters give people like me a bad name as they don't understand the industry. They will send resumes without truly understanding the needs of the candidate and the client. That is what I do.

So if anyone is interested in speaking with me please feel free to call or email me.

Regards,

Brian Cerkas

Technical Resources, Inc.

3030 Warrenville Road Suite 315

Lisle, IL 60532

Ph: 630-995-4100 Ext 211

Fax 630-995-4107

Toll Free 866-419-6995

www.techrecruiting.com

[email protected]

quote:

If you walk into a company that doesn't have positions you generally will be asked to fill out an application and or leave your resume. That piece of paper is the only thing that they have to define what you bring to the table.

Au contraire....

Out of the last ten years, my jobs are proceeded by two things:

1) My resume

2) My reputation.

My current job is one in which all I needed was my reputation and an introduction (which I gleaned from here). Even in different state from which I lived. One of the managers is an individual with whom I have dealt with, and he knew my abilities and ethics. I was hired on the spot.

Not a low paying job, and I don't have to surrender part of my worth for someone else to (maybe improperly) represent me.

A third party will never represent someone as well as they can themselves.

Hi Zoober,

I'm glad that worked out for you. That is true of some people, but not all. I've already made 30 permanent placements this year so I must be doing something right for someone.

If you should ever need assistance I would be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Brian Cerkas

Brian,

When I posted to your topic I was giving you some advice on how to get more people interested in what you have to offer. I in no way wanted you to email me asking for my resume. My point was if you want info from us we first need some info from you. If you can’t even tell me where the job is how am I to know if it’s something I would be interested in? As you can see I live in Minnesota not California, telling me about jobs out there doesn’t do much good it just wastes both of our time. I for one will not send my resume out to just anyone who asks for it. Also I think you need to read what I sent you again, I told you I’m not a 5 axis programmer yet and you email me back:

quote:

Can you please send me your resume and a time that I can give you a call to go over your experience and see exactly what your motivations are and skill sets?

I do know about the opportunity in CA for 5 axis. You must have 5 axis for these positions. I deal with the owner there.

This tells me you’re not going to listen to me so why would I even want to deal with you?

I think Brian is a direct placement guy.

Normally the employeer pays his fee..

This is completely different from working for a

contract house.

These guys do have a worthwhile purpose.

Many big firms hire through placement agencies

exclusively and will not accept walk in applications.

Most work you as a temp at an elevated wage for

60-90 days before making you a permanent employee.

Brian is being upfront and he's not hiding behind a gmail account.

I'll bet he's got some pretty sweet gigs in his

portfolio too.

[ 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Humm after reading all the above I think Brian is offering a decent service. He wants to accumalate a data base of potential candidates "employees" . Then when a employer contacts him with a opening he has a potential person on file for a quick business like response.

Make sense to me if I was in Brian shoes. I plan to keep his contact info for the future. At the moment I have no intetions of a new position.

gcode..thank you for the vote of confidence. You are exactly right.

BenK.. writing back and forth in a forum does not necessarily convey exactly what you or I are trying to tell each other. I asked for your resume so we could speak on the phone and go over your experience. Without speaking to you I don't know whether or not you would move to CA or anywhere else. You asked where so I told you where. For all I know you want to move to Florida for the right position. I can't know that unless I speak with you. Or if you are only looking in MN I will not know that with out speaking with you, etc. If you want please give me a call and we can discuss. I sense you've been burned by other recruiters in the past. I do right by my candidate as well as the companies I place them with.

Bill...I only do permanent placement. Many hiring authorities don't like walk ins as they are way too busy to speak with someone once they have their day planned out. My fees are contingency based and are direct hire.

Regards to all.

Brian Cerkas

Technical Resources Inc.

Guys I can vouch for Brain. I let Brain know about this place because I care about my fellow forum members getting chances they might not otherwise get. Brain is not your typical person when it comes to this line of work he is head and shoulders above the rest in my book and if I were looking for a job he is the only person I would go to to help me find a job that would be suited for what I am looking for out of companies I want to work for. Remember guys it works both ways there has the be companies looking for someone to hire, but when you get to where someone like myself has got to. I want to make sure the company I would go work is going ot be around, treat its employees good and is looking to allow me to be valued added to their company and not just some bump on the log that can make programs for them. We all have talents and Brain has shown me he looks at many different things when placing people with companies.

You can take from that what you will, but if you are looking and think you have the skill sets to do the jobs he is offering he might be able to get you into the right place that needs you and you are the right fit for. I have been burned as well, but again I pointed Brain here for the benefit of my fellow forum members if you want to use his service then do so if not then just like the rest of us he is trying to make a living as well to remember that before you go ripping someone you do not know and have never talked to personally.

I have always thought of contract houses as equivalent to agents for entertainers or athletes. There are people who only want to work contract and depend on the contract house to find them work. Most also offer some paid holidays and a weeks pay bonus if you stay with them for a year.

I realize that's not what Brian does, but I thought I would through that out there. You can usually tell the ones you don't want to work for. They'll read the job discription and it'll be pretty obvious they don't have a clue what they're reading.

quote:

I sense you've been burned by other recruiters in the past.

I think anybody that has dealt with a staffing agency has been burnt in one way or another. I think that is why most people are suspicious when they see a general/non specific job post.

Headhunters are usualy not much more reliable than a staffing recruiter, but, it sounds like Brian knows the trade, and if Ron is praising him, he must be good at what he does.

Ron, thank you for the vote of confidence.

I am specific to the industry, and very discreet.

If anyone would like to call or email me it is in total confidence.

I know there are hacks out there in CNC recruiting that don't really understand what their candidates bring to the table. I'm probably only one of a handful in the industry that does.

No promises of the perfect career move other than I will get to know your story, what you are about, what you bring to the table and what you are looking for. I never lie to candidates or my clients. I will never shoot your resume around without your knowledge to positions that you wouldn't possibly be interested in and I will always have your best interest in mind for any career moves.

The worst that can happen is we talk, I know your story and I don't find anything for you. At the same time through networking in the industry I have gained the trust and confidence of a great many people and through that networking have helped people. You may know someone who would be perfect for the job that I let you know about if you're not interested. It's like this forum. You guys help eachother.

If anyone refers me to someone and I place them and get paid not only have you helped someone, but a Steak and Lobster dinner is on me.

I'm very sincere in what I do. When I do my job right I've helped a candidate and their family, I've helped a company find the person they were looking for and if I do that right I can pay my mortgage and put money away for my son's college funds.

Thank you for any and all correspondence positive, middle of the road or negative. I think we all learn something new everyday even if we don't realize.

I am also on Linkedin.com for any who would like to connect. My companies website is www.techrecruiting.com and my email is [email protected]. And I may be reached by phone at 630-995-4100 ext 211. Those that I speak with I will offer my cell at that time.

Best regards,

Brian Cerkas

Hi Brian

I live off Warrenville rd.

"Recruiters" this week ran an ad

"Wheaton Ill $25.00@ hr...

I responded, Wheaton! I could ride my son's

20 BMX bike there!...I asked where?

Can't say, Send me your resume...o.k.

He say's got it,the job is actually in St.Charles

O.K....He call's me back and leaves a message

"That postion is filled" But I have another...

Call me.

Pffft Forget it.

I was just curious about a would be Job in Wheaton ILL,which never existed.

Hi Tony,

I hear what you are saying. I would not be the first nor last recruiter that posted a job that was not in the vicinity of the actual position. There are reasons I would be happy to share with you when we speak.

The resume is a great way to start. As a CNC technical recruiter I need something to start with in order to work my way through in our conversation. It gives me a chance to look through things, read between the lines and ask intelligent questions about the what's and why's that aren't on your resume. It builds a complete profile.

Now as far as the postion in St. Charles: To be honest if he was worth his salt in the industry and he said that to you about the position being filled it's because he felt you either weren't qualified for the positon or he got a firm NO from the company.

I haven't spoken with you nor have I seen your resume so it's only speculation.

At the same time, this recruiter could have sent a bunch of resumes to this company and have had people come in to interview only for the company to discover that the recruiter has no idea what they are looking for.

I don't know who you spoke with nor would I ever suggest that specifically this person didn't represent you in the right way. But I will say that it does happen from time to time in recruiting that the position is filled by another recruiter or a company is not willing to pay a recruitment fee or they will if it doesn't cost too much.

I think you, I and everyone on this forum knows that a good CNC Programmer or Manufacturing Engineer worth their salt can make a company 10 fold of a recruiters fee in 1 years time.

Back to the original question... A good recruiter and I'm saying that lightly, will not reveal exactly where the spot is unless #1 he trusts the candidate and has a good rapport or #2 he's stupid.

If you want to contact me Tony please do.

Regards,

Brian Cerkas

Tony- the job is actually in St. Charles, and they are looking at several candidates. For $25 per hour this company is looking for someone to program Mastercam X4, do maintenance on the machine and a number of other things. I told this company that they will need to pay much higher for a solid candidate. So they are looking to see what the local recruiters can give them and I have the feeling they will come up short. No way I could ask a guy to take $25 per hour when he's worth $35 to $40 or solid salary etc.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My current position and my position while I worked for Mori Seiki was obtained though a Headhunter (like Brian). Just looking at Brian's posts, he seems to be just like my head hunter. When I saw his ad in CNC West I called him up. I was a just layed off CNC Programmer. I asked him if he ever got any programmer positions. He said on occasion. He asked for my resume. I sent it to him and got a call back about 20 minutes later. We talked for about 30 minutes. He asked about me, my family situation, like a friend would. When it got down to brass tacks, he said he did not have any programmer positions available but he asked me if I would entertain a change. I said sure, as long as I can work in manufaacturing. So he described the AE's job and asked if I was interested. I said hell yeah I'm interested. Long story short, I consider him a friend. We talk a few times a year. Brian seems like that kind of guy. Some of you attack dogs have been burned by "Temp Agencies". Those hosers are wannabe Head Hunters and have no real vested interest in your success. Guys like Brian don;t get paid unless they successfully place an individual. Temp Agencies make a cut them moment you step in their client's door. They are completely different and some of your characterizations are unfair IMHO.

I know if I were to ever desire to go back into a shop and my contacts were not sufficient or I were looking to relocate, I'd at bare minimum give him a call. He has conducted himself professionally even in the wake of some unfair (IMHO) charaterizations.

JM2C