Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D MOUSE

FTI2007

I've got a Space Explorer, and I really like it. It's simple enough that you won't get overwhelmed with all the customizations. But I would say it depends on what your needs will be. If you're going to want a bunch of buttons for whatever functions, then the space pilot pro might be the way to go.

I've got the Explorer and love it. Makes it a lot easier dealing with solids. Best way to get it is direct from 3dconnection. Get it on a trial basis for like two weeks, then they'll call you up to see if you're interested and take $100 off if you buy it. That's how I got mine, but they may not be doing that promotion right now. The company wouldn't buy it so I paid for it myself so the $100 off making it $199 made it to hard to refuse. I looked at the Pilot, but wanted some programmable buttons and wasn't sure if it would be heavy enough to stay on the desk (was never told I had a gentle touch ;) ). Now if I could just find a mouse I liked I'd be happy :angry: .

I've got the Explorer and love it. Makes it a lot easier dealing with solids. Best way to get it is direct from 3dconnection. Get it on a trial basis for like two weeks, then they'll call you up to see if you're interested and take $100 off if you buy it. That's how I got mine, but they may not be doing that promotion right now. The company wouldn't buy it so I paid for it myself so the $100 off making it $199 made it to hard to refuse. I looked at the Pilot, but wanted some programmable buttons and wasn't sure if it would be heavy enough to stay on the desk (was never told I had a gentle touch ;) ). Now if I could just find a mouse I liked I'd be happy :angry: .

I did the same thing, had them send me a trial and take off a hundred bucks cuz it was used lol. Plus, getting it from 3dconnexion means you get the 3-year warranty as well, just in case

Now if I could just find a mouse I liked I'd be happy :angry: .

I have a space pilot pro and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it. I get so pissed off when i have to use any 3d programs without it.

for a mouse i got the logitec M570:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Trackball-Receiver-910-001799/dp/B0043T7FXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298511377&sr=8-1

it is seriously the cat's meow. It takes a little getting used to but i love the fact that i can move my thumb less than an inch and be across to my second monitor.

once you go trackball, you never go back!

It takes a little getting used to but i love the fact that i can move my thumb less than an inch and be across to my second monitor.

High end gaming mice can do this too.

I use a Logitech G500 and run it at half speed. It will run from one edge of a dual monitor setup

to the other with the flick of a wrist. Its way too fast for me at its top settings.

I like a fast mouse because it minimizes wrist motion and fatigue

Had a Logitech track ball for 2 years and got rid of it because it was aggrivating my tendonitis and causing discomfort in my thumb.The speed at which I could move the cursor was great, but small movements were difficult at least for me anyway. Plus having to clean the pads the ball sits on every few days is a hassle. I just had someone from our workers comp. insurance come in and do a ergo. eval. and he mentioned he doesn't like the trackballs because you arm is stationary and doesn't expell he lactic acid buildup in your muscles (my O.T. said the same thing). Right now I'm trying the M510 from Logitech (bought it with the wave wireless keyboard). I've thought about the Revolution, but the company wont pay for a mouse (definitely not a $100 one) or anything if the plain Jane ones I have work.

Now the problem is the Logitech software is messing with MC. I have to run the hardware acceleration in Win one notch above disabling it in order for it to work without black screening. It worked fine with my trackball, but not with my new mouse and keyboard :angry: .

yes but moving your whole hand takes more effort than moving just you thumb.

I used a tracball for years but my thumb demmanded I give it up.

After a while your thumb will get very angry with you

but the company wont pay for a mouse
I buy my own for work.

It sounds silly, but a blown wrist or thumb is a career ending injury in this trade.

If the boss is too tight to buy you a good mouse, buy your own.

I used a tracball for years but my thumb demmanded I give it up.

After a while your thumb will get very angry with you

That was my problem. It was like it didn't want to move :angry: .

I buy my own for work.

It sounds silly, but a blown wrist or thumb is a career ending injury in this trade.

If the boss is too tight to buy you a good mouse, buy your own.

I've always had to buy my own. They don't realize how much time and pain a good mouse saves. I've held the Rev. at Staples before and it doesn't seem to fit my hand any better than most other mouses I've tried. I've looked at the vertical mouses, but Staples doesn't have any to try.

I'm partial to Logitech gaming mice.

The G500 is sweet. The MX 510 is an older model now and can be bought for under $50.

I stay away from wireless mice cause tha batteries add weight to drag around.

Everybody's different though. I know a guy who used an $5 roller mouse

for years. It finanlly died and we bought him a good one and he hates it ...:D

I was starting to have lots of pain in my wrist and forearm early last year. I ending up getting a Space Pilot Pro and an Evoluent Vertical mouse to split the duties of my arms. It's been over a year now with no pain. The vertical mouse takes a little while getting used to but now I wouldn't have anything else.

I'm sitting ½ day with mastercam other ½ in the shop. I went cheap and bought a space navigator. Was used to the space explorer with unigraphics, but the space navigator is just fine if you don't work the whole day with it.I use the 2 buttons for lock rotations and enter key.

Christian

Had a Logitech track ball for 2 years and got rid of it because it was aggrivating my tendonitis and causing discomfort in my thumb.The speed at which I could move the cursor was great, but small movements were difficult at least for me anyway. Plus having to clean the pads the ball sits on every few days is a hassle. I just had someone from our workers comp. insurance come in and do a ergo. eval. and he mentioned he doesn't like the trackballs because you arm is stationary and doesn't expell he lactic acid buildup in your muscles (my O.T. said the same thing). Right now I'm trying the M510 from Logitech (bought it with the wave wireless keyboard). I've thought about the Revolution, but the company wont pay for a mouse (definitely not a $100 one) or anything if the plain Jane ones I have work.

Now the problem is the Logitech software is messing with MC. I have to run the hardware acceleration in Win one notch above disabling it in order for it to work without black screening. It worked fine with my trackball, but not with my new mouse and keyboard :angry: .

well i guess i'll talk to you guys in a year or so lol. i can see all of that being valid. personally i feel like i'm more productive with my ball mouse but only time will tell. i have been on mastercam and other software for a whole day and my thumb feels fine but thats maybe cause i'm young (22) and naive. that vertical mouse looks like the perfect fit after my thumb wears out...lol!

The only thing I don't like about the space pilot is when it's not plugged in. I have become so accustom to it that I will still reach for it even though it's not there. B)

I can't use the dynamic rotation if I'm using Virtual Tech with a customer :huh:

I'm using a Logitech V450 wireless mouse, I personally like the balance of the mouse with the batteries in it and the usb receiver is small enough I leave it in the laptop all the time. B)

+10 on the speed of the mouse, I gotten on customer's computers that are using the OEM mouse and the cursor is so far behind where I know I want to go it's like you're working at geriatric speed :blink:

Everybody's different though. I know a guy who used an $5 roller mouse

for years. It finanlly died and we bought him a good one and he hates it ...:D

GCode, how many years worth of dust bunnies were inside that mouse? :huh:

well i guess i'll talk to you guys in a year or so lol. i can see all of that being valid. personally i feel like i'm more productive with my ball mouse but only time will tell. i have been on mastercam and other software for a whole day and my thumb feels fine but thats maybe cause i'm young (22) and naive. that vertical mouse looks like the perfect fit after my thumb wears out...lol!

Oh, I agree on being faster with the ball. Thats why I bought it. You just use your thumb so much more than I think the muscles are designed for. I did love my trackball dearly and will take it home for occasional use. I had to buy a laptop because my wife was on Facebook so much I never had a chance to get on the pc, so no need for a mouse on a laptop.

I have a space pilot pro and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it. I get so pissed off when i have to use any 3d programs without it.

for a mouse i got the logitec M570:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Trackball-Receiver-910-001799/dp/B0043T7FXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298511377&sr=8-1

it is seriously the cat's meow. It takes a little getting used to but i love the fact that i can move my thumb less than an inch and be across to my second monitor.

once you go trackball, you never go back!

Well Ill be they brought those back.

I still have 2 of the PS2 models that are still working. Use them every day they are great.

They are about 15 years old.

Vary the sensitivity occasionally to keep carpel tunnel from getting yas....

Sometimes longer thumb movements are a good thing..... :)

• 1 year later...

I am looking at the Evoluent Vertical mouse. Is anyone still using it (old thread)?

Can you program all the buttons for Mastercam use?

I have been using a Microsoft 2 button mouse with scroll wheel for about 14 years now, but I do have pain in my right forearm. The Evoluent looks like a good idea to me.