Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm hoping the 2nd stock model is not dependent on the stl file

I had a big part I did last summer that had 16 stl files supporting rest rough operations.

In October we got an order for another part with rev changes and someone had renamed

the root folder. This broke the paths to all the stl files and it took me nearly as long to

get the the file put back together as it did to make the rev changes.

My hope is the secondary stock models are saved as stl mesh inside the mcx-6 file

and are no longer dependent on the stl file..

My favorite part of Stock Model is when you have multiples and the third starts generating before the second one is done. I love getting annoying alarms and having to select and regenerate the stock models one at a time.

I ALWAYS regenerate one dependency level at a time due to this. It's the only way to be sure it will work.

I've been running the stock model in verfiy, saving the STL and bringing that back in as another stock model

for subsequent rest roughing ops.... the downside is it breaks the associativty of the stock model to its driving

operations,..... the upside is it breaks the associativty of the stock model to its driving operations :rolleyes:

The associativty would be very nice... but doing it this way prevents the stock model and its driving operations

from going dirty every time you sneeze

Ah, I get it. I have been kinda doing the same as you, but not using the saved and verified .stl as stock in the rest rough operations. I have been using the stock model in the rest rough ops, but I have had a couple crashes when using stock model causing me to go back to the .stl as stock method. Does that make sense? Haha!

I wonder how hard it would be to give Mastercam Mill the same functionality as Mastercam Lathe as far as stock recognition? Works really good there.

really?

drag and drop one operation in lathe and the whole op manager goes dirty and needs regen.

you want that in Mill?

nadda

For roughing paths, I use .005 path tol. and .003 tool shape tol. The crunch time is not bad and seems fairly accurate when I use it as stock when I verify. For finishing I use .002-.003 path tol. and .001-.002 tool shape tol. Crunch time is long depending on the toolpath, but I don't see too many advantages of using stock model for finishing anyway, therefore, I avoid using it.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I wish CNC would do something like CATIA does... (... I think I threw up in my mouth a little after saying that...) Anyway... In CATIA, you have several things you do.Being that it's an engineering package, you have a container for all your stuff (CATProduct). In that CATProduct file is a tree that lists all the things youre doing with that file like adding CATPart files, Machining Operation (CATProcess) Files, etc... What I'm getting at, is with thie tree style container, nothing gets lost and associativity doesn't get broken so long as you don't move or delete the referenced files. Now, CATIA is not perfect either. Just try deleting the file that is in the tree and then trying to re-create the association with a different file even with the same name... :wallbash::realmad::rant: ... yeah, that ain't happening... at least easily. Maybe they fixed that, but I've been burned by it so I have not tried it again.

I guess what I'm getting at is there are a healthy number of limitations that CNC is subject to given the way they have constructed the application. If they were to do anothet re-write, they could save themselves A LOT of grief if they did things the way other CAD Assembly modelers did things. Granted, it's probably more work on the front end, but rarely do you enjoy benefits on the front end, you usually work hard then reap the benefits down the road.

JM2C

I've been running the stock model in verfiy, saving the STL and bringing that back in as another stock model

for subsequent rest roughing ops.... the downside is it breaks the associativty of the stock model to its driving

operations,..... the upside is it breaks the associativty of the stock model to its driving operations :rolleyes:

The associativty would be very nice... but doing it this way prevents the stock model and its driving operations

from going dirty every time you sneeze

This is exactly what I have been thinking about doing. This pretty much means back to square 1 and having a xxxx load of stl files but at least when a path goes dirty that you used to create the stock model you do not have to worry about 20 other paths that relied on it going dirty as well.

You will still have the benefit of displaying the stock or accessing that stock easily from inside of the file so it will "seem" more convenient at least.

So stock model is best for 2-d type (forgive my ignorance on this stock model feature)

so something like this is not a good candidate?

1.jpg

this is not a difficult insert,

I send all step down cutter sizes for instance

1em, 3/4ball, 1/2b, 1/4b, 1/8, 1/16 b

all over the component, rest rough then waterline added cut finish with the 1/2 ball

Then the last 3 cutters all use waterline rest then pencil on each to get down to the smallest rad size

so would stock model work on an insert or mould base like this for me

or should I not even attempt it on parts like this 18 x 18 x 6" insert?

Regards

rick

stock model works really well in simple parts.

when you start running high speed roughing and big surfacing toolpaths, the crunch times

and potential for crashs go up expontentially.

I'm sure this will improve as the technology advances, but these are early days, and

I would not try it on any of the molds you build

Rickster, that model you're displaying is very, very similar to the work I do. I would use stock model for the roughing ops and possibly semi-finish ops, but no way in hell will I use it for finishing that part. I tried a few times and gave up on it. The crunch time is ridiculous (verify is much faster and saving an .stl) and as gcode has mentioned, it will CRASH. :wallbash:

really?

drag and drop one operation in lathe and the whole op manager goes dirty and needs regen.

you want that in Mill?

nadda

Well I meant is you don't have to use STL files to define your stock within operations, you do need them if you are working on something else like a casting but not for parts starting aout of a blank, they will keep your stock updated as you add operations. On lathe most of the times you don't have to use STL files and as far as Tpaths going dirty, at least on lathe if I change something down the road it won't mess with STL files association.

Having to regen after a drag & drop or change within a tool path ... you are right it will do it if I do drag & drop a Tpath or make a change on stock to leave or something else, but it will only do it on the ones you move up or the ones after such Tpaths as there will obviously be a change on the remaining stock amount & shape. Perhaps getting MC to regen automatically when doing this kind of changes would help.

stock model works really well in simple parts.

when you start running high speed roughing and big surfacing toolpaths, the crunch times

and potential for crashs go up expontentially.

I'm sure this will improve as the technology advances, but these are early days, and

I would not try it on any of the molds you build

Early days of technology ? Your kidding me right. Other guys have been using stock model machining for years.

And doing it well too I might add.

Well unfortunately I had a solution that actually worked before they added these features in Volumill. It worked and it worked very good. Far better than what I am getting out of what we have now. I was stuck using stl files with Volumill but at least I knew that and knew that it worked. And worked without having to regenerate paths 500 times.

+1000

With Volumill I get exactly what I am looking for on the first try 95% of the time whether it is the first roughing pass or rest roughing. I really hope CNC can get Opti-rough to that level of efficiency.