Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS 4th axis tail stock CAD model needed.

danielm

I would be Suprised if Haas holds their base to center height very close between different tailstocks.... Their stuff seems to vary a lot.

I know our DDR Mori 4th is + - like .002"

I thought that's what Haas meant, "Close enough" :p

I thought that's what Haas meant, "Close enough" :p

I though Haas meant, Half A$$ American Sh**.

so what types of machines have you guys personally put up the money for? spouting off at the mouth is real easy (see i just did it).

since Haas has shipped well over 100k machines, you are calling many colleagues idiots, which is kind of dumb. :pc:

The Haas tail stocks are decent. They also happen to be very east to model. Get to it.

"it will hold a +/-.0002" part after part for DAYS!"

Either they got better or you are extremely lucky / need new mic's. Our newest ones (2007 vf4's) can't hold that reliably, and our older ones certainly can't come close to that. Thermal expansion and back lash are hideous. Like James said, they have their place.

'you are calling many colleagues idiots' Agreed. I like those machines and know what work not to put on them.

San Diego CadCam, does this mean you don't do business with the Haas crowd? What would your customers think if they saw this post?

Here are some pics of what this "Half A$$ American Sh**." can do. Stainless mixing paddle for a Half A$$ American Ordinance manufacture.

http://www.emasterca...appy +holidays.

I have ran 8 axis Mori-Seiki's and Swiss-type machines. I have ran Cincinatti, Mazak, and Okuma mills and lathes. I have ran Fanuc controlled machines from more than a dozen off-brand manufacturers, and numerous NC machines from Romi, Bridgeport, Anilam etc. I can pretty much go up to any machine and make a part without too many questions needing to be asked. Haas is by far the most user-friendly control I have ran. Their integration with the Renishaw probing system is awesome. And if you set them up right they will make a good part and repeat it hundreds of times. Granted, they aren't ideal for doing really heavy work. But they are getting better.

I made hundreds of these ground-based turbine parts out of 718 Inconel on a Haas Tool Room mill with a 5C rotary and it held some really tight tolerances.

100_0209-Copy.jpg

We even let a rookie run the parts because there wasn't much variance throughout the run of 24 parts. For $30k that machine earned it's place in that shop.

Having ran all of these machines, if I were to buy a small mill for my shop I would definitely buy a Haas. Say what you want. They have their place. And no shop could go wrong in having one.

Modelling a tailstock is pretty easy. Actually, modelling a whole machine is pretty easy.

It just takes time, calipers, rulers, and a tape measure (oh, and a pen and paper too) :) I gave up trying to get cad models or even drawings from our machine tool dealer. I can understand them not wanting to give out proprietary CAD models, but STL files are n't that usable for anything else but verification models anyway. In the end it was actually enjoyable working on the machine model anyway :)

post-961-0-06757900-1350962215_thumb.jpg