Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows 8 and X6??

gcode

As a cruel trick on myself, about a month ago I installed Windows 8 on my main PC to see what it was like.

The answer is: abysmal.

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that Windows 8 is the worst computing experience I’ve ever had. As a desktop operating system, it’s annoying, frustrating, irritating, and baffling to use. I’ve tried on many occasions to explain exactly why it’s so awful to use day-to-day, and most of the time, smoke starts pouring out of my ears. I thought it would be better to get down exactly what the issues are and why you should avoid it.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-i-m-uninstalling-windows-8

The windows store forces software makers who make programs optimized for win8 (and a couple other exceptions) to get the blessing of Microsoft before it can be installed on your computer. And it has to be distributed through the Windows Store.

This is a really broad overview of it so I suggest you read up on it more to get a better feel for it.

http://msdn.microsof...s/hh694083.aspx

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/179420/

On the news here today Steve Ballmer was saying how this is a new era for microsoft and how it is REALLY important for the future of the company. He also said that the windowze 8 experience is magical...He also mentioned sky drive which I arsume is something to do with cloud computing.

Geez, i'm such a luddite.

I gave the consumer preview a whirl on some old hardware. Hated it.

I have the release preview and RTM trial on two boxes now and it absolutely flies. While it's not "hard" to go back to a W7 system, there are a number of improvements they've done that make me want to upgrade at least some of my systems.

Edit: @newbeeee, Skydrive is Microsoft's answer to Google Drive and Apple iCloud. It's been around for years and has been getting more useful as time goes on. Basically you get between 7-25GB of free online storage so you can access your files/media on virtually any internet connected device.

What Ballmer said is absolutely true…

… this is a new era for Microsoft and how it is REALLY important for the future of the company.

I won’t comment on the 2nd part about the “experience” – as a Desktop OS.

The Mobile market is huge and growing rapidly, so Microsoft has to do something if it wants to play in this market.

Window Store – Microsoft’s version of Apple’s “App Store”.

For an application to be made available on the Windows Store, it must be built using only use the Windows Runtime APIs.

See section 3.1

Windows 8 app certification requirements

What is this “Windows Runtime API”?

A very cool new way to create apps on the Windows 8 (only) platform.

In other words -> It’ll only run on Windows 8.

Since many Corporate Windows users are still transitioning over to Windows 7,

(since support for XP is going away...)

it will definitely “be a while” before you see Mastercam on the Windows Store. ;)

Sky Drive

It’s been around for a while and does not require Windows 8

It is “kinda like” DropBox

On the news here today Steve Ballmer was saying how this is a new era for microsoft and how it is REALLY important for the future of the company. He also said that the windowze 8 experience is magical...He also mentioned sky drive which I arsume is something to do with cloud computing.

Geez, i'm such a luddite.

As a developer myself, I'm a fan of the maturity and standardization that MS brought to the table.

However, I cringe every time I see Ballmer in these public venues pushing the latest MS product.

Ballmer has been WRONG about almost every product he has made glowing statements about.

Review his past history and then ask yourself if Windows Phone resembles anything he claimed it would be

back as Win CE, PocketPC, Windows Mobile and now the new Windows Phone and Windows 8?

Every prediction that Ballmer has made about MS in the mobile arena has been completely wrong.

That's right. He has been wrong every single time he has made a prediction about MS in the mobile arena.

Windows 8 is a product that no one asked for, that no one wants and that no one will buy.

I was looking forward to the new Surface Tablets but after reading the latest MSDN information,

I can only conclude that Microsoft via Ballmer has completely abandoned the Desktop platform.

They simply do not care.

The problem is that when Windows 8 fails, Microsoft will not be able to walk this one back like they did with Vista.

Windows 8 is the beginning of the end of Microsoft's dominance in the marketplace.

You can bet that a lot of companies are now reassessing their long-term commitment to the Windows Platform.

What Ballmer said is absolutely true…

I won’t comment on the 2nd part about the “experience” – as a Desktop OS.

The Mobile market is huge and growing rapidly, so Microsoft has to do something if it wants to play in this market.

Window Store – Microsoft’s version of Apple’s “App Store”.

For an application to be made available on the Windows Store, it must be built using only use the Windows Runtime APIs.

See section 3.1

Windows 8 app certification requirements

What is this “Windows Runtime API”?

A very cool new way to create apps on the Windows 8 (only) platform.

In other words -> It’ll only run on Windows 8.

Since many Corporate Windows users are still transitioning over to Windows 7,

(since support for XP is going away...)

it will definitely “be a while” before you see Mastercam on the Windows Store. ;)

Sky Drive

It’s been around for a while and does not require Windows 8

It is “kinda like” DropBox

Do you like the fact they are pushing you into using and distributing your software through the store? I just don't get how people are fine with the fact your software is controlled by microsoft and can be removed at any point in time when they feel like it, not to mention that if you use their pricing software you have to give them a cut of your profits.

I find it odd more people aren't up in arms over this major shift.

Do you like the fact they are pushing you into using and distributing your software through the store? I just don't get how people are fine with the fact your software is controlled by microsoft and can be removed at any point in time when they feel like it, not to mention that if you use their pricing software you have to give them a cut of your profits.

I find it odd more people aren't up in arms over this major shift.

The Microsoft Store will never stick.

MS will be left with a huge black eye over this.

With any luck, this will be the failure that finally forces Ballmer out.

Run regedit.

Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

In the right pane, double-click on RPEnabled key and change its value from 1 to 0.

Log Off then Log back on

interesting note with the crucial move to mobile for Microsoft.

kind of smacks of how MS capitalized on windows (that apple created) way back when.

now MS is getting into mobile arena 'created' by apple and Google.

MS has a bully pulpit in the way of synchronizing file/data from corporate to mobile.

Captain Obvious out. :laughing:

Acually "Windows" or GUI was developed by Xerox which is where Steve Jobs first saw it. Microsoft has been in the moble business since 1996 when win CE was released. Pocket PC was based on CE 3.0 released in 2000. I had a Dell Axim V50 which came with PocketPC 2003 which I upgraded to WinMobile 2005 It seem to me that the iPhone was released in 2007 which, of course was not Apples first stab at mobile computing but it was the most succesful.

As for the App store yes Microsoft does have standards in place to be certified for download just like Apple and Google (None of them want to be distributors of Malware, Viruses etc). I beleive the price range for "Apps" is like free to $999. I don't think Mastercam falls into that range and probably won't be sold on the store. I also don't think it will be written for touch screens which is one of the major points of the App Store. Windows 8 is just the next evolution and they are trying to include mobile with tradtional desktop. Things look different and for people who don't like change that is a problem. As always Microsoft has given you the ability to go back to something more like what you are used to I.E. desktop vice Metro so this shouldn't be that big of a burden. I've just got done installing 8 pro to my old HP TX2500 notebook/tablet which was running Vista Home and it definately is an improvment.

Keith

I haven't been following Windows 8 at all. I read it was geared more at touchscreens and tablet pc's. Am I wrong? If that is the case I want nothing to do with it. I am not at all fond of smearing my hands all over my 25" LCD. I love my Android phone, but If it were 25" I would want a mouse and keyboard. In which case I wouldn't want tiles.

And just wait til everyone using thetouchscreens, iPads and tablets start racking up doctor bills for arthritis in their finger joints. You think carpel tunnel is bad? Anyone ever type a 300 line program into a 1980's Haas machine using the control? Very painful.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

adapt or be left behind.

Maybe it's a conspiracy... easy to get rid of old timers if they all have carpal tunnel. Us high end guys that have been around a while won't last long and what a co-winky-dink, we just happen to be the highes paid guys in the shop.

Just sayin'.

:coffee: