Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

maintenance agreement coming to Mastercam

Philcott

quote:

Rekd: Ya, ya, I know, I know. You caught me! I skipped a few pages and didn't read the entire thread I suppose I was a little rash.

No worries. I was upset the first time I heard about it too. (I was one of the first to reply negatively biggrin.gif )

So long as it remains optional, I don't think it's a bad move. They are trying to make things work for as many different customer types as possible, and for this alone they should be commended.

'Rekd

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Can you all belive its been a year since we did this???? I just got a postcard from CNC telling me it was time for renewal. My first response was STFU, then I called Mattera and he kinda laughed at me. "Paul it was last September we did this"

WOW, time flies when you are an Mcammer....

Pauly teh writes out the next P.O. biggrin.gif

Ima go with yes on that. I get meh updates, I get meh patches, and I get a warm fuzzy feeling!

I am counting on it really paying off when X is fully released. We all know how quickly things get found, and they get fixed. I know I will get every fix I need.

Did you ever get the maint. James?

Paul,

quote:

I get meh updates, I get meh patches, and I get a warm fuzzy feeling!

I remember feeling like that before maintenance as well though.

Scott,

quote:

If a new Mantenace bill comes before X , it will be difficult for me at my present employ.

I think this will be difficult for a lot of us to explain. I would guess more than two of us used the argument that MCX would be free with the maintenance agreement. To be honest, no one said which maintenance agreement it would come with.

Not meant to be sour grapes as Mastercam and the forum make coming to work quite enjoyable. Just an observation. cheers.gif

Phil

I think all will get X even if they do not keep Maintence that did so before Dec, 31. If after then sure hope it is out before your's is up but still think they will honor those that had it before its realse. I know they are veyr busy with X but maybe thay can make an offical posting or something on their web site to help those that did sell it to get the Maintence.

Its going to come down to definitions.

There will be patches and there will be upgrades.

Patches are to repair flaws in the software.

Upgrades add new features.

MR0304 fixed some minor bugs, but it also added

new features, FZT for exapmle.

When X comes out, there are sure to be bugs and

I have no doubt that all users will get the patches whether they have maintenance or not.

There will also be enhancements and new features

added on a regular basis. If you aren't on maintenance, you won't get them.

I support my seat of Mastercam on my own ,

and I havn't purchased maintenance yet.

My plan is to wait and buy it just before X comes

out. That will get me X for free and maximise the maintenance time.

quote:

just remember, gcode, that once X is released you will be considered one version behind and will have to pay more [if not on maintenance]. So make sure you time it right and get on maintenance BEFORE X comes out.

quote:

my plan exactally.

As far as my thoughts on the maintenance as a whole...undecided. Paying money for bug fixes just seems wrong wrong wrong. The whole reason you buy something is because its supposed to work....if the maintenance contracts are used to resolve problems it almost (exactally) makes it seem like you are paying for CNC Software's mistakes.

However, if maintenance contracts are used to roll out "new" (not fixing old ones) features then I can understand the extra cost.

Personally I like the maintenance. I work for a pretty large company and knowing in advance how much it will cost makes it easy to budget for the future. If it's not in the budget it's not happening until next year in my company.

I think bug fixes will still be available for people who don't have maintenance. They have been so far and it would be a big marketing error to not provide them in the future.

Having voluntary maintenance is a pretty positive thing from my point of view.