Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Models - idiots guide please!

Newbeeee™

• 10 months later...

Rather than an overall informational video on its capabilities, has anyone found a step-by-step on using the stock model? Something simple, like defining the initial stock, roughing it, then finishing based on the roughed model.

I'm just getting into it myself too and my only experience with stock models is with WorkNC.

Thanks Rstewart. I'll have to take another look at it when I have more time and I'm not rushed.

Was just kinda looking to see if any of the guys made a short video (JP, Jay, etc) like they've done before for other topics.

EDIT: Thanks for the input Bob. You're reply came in as I was typing.

Funny, I JUST got off the phone with another location discussing how to use Stock Model instead of stls wherever possible

Maybe I'll try to throw something together tonight if I can get home through all this crap called snow

(Rather than an overall informational video on its capabilities, has anyone found a step-by-step on using the stock model? Something simple, like defining the initial stock, roughing it, then finishing based on the roughed model.) So you want to see like say a rest rough and do some HST finish paths using the Stock from the rough to finish?

Jay,

With WorkNC, the stock model only worked for roughing toolpaths. We would use a stock model of the size of material that we started with (overall block size) and program (1st toolpath) a surface rough pocket style toolpath (they called it global roughing), which required no boundaries, etc, and it would only machining the areas that "had stock." That was typically followed up by the next toolpath (don't remember the exact name...combined Z-level finishing something or other) that was basically a combination of a MC waterline 30-90 degree and raster 0-35 degree toolpath...using what was remaining from the initial roughing toolpath.

That's my experience with stock models. I'm not sure how that fits into the MC workflow, but an example of something along those lines would help me out greatly.

Thad

I use stock models for roughing only.  When trying to do finish passes in a stock model it takes A LOT of time to process all the moves and makes your files greater in size.  I find it easier just to use the simulator - faster and keeps file size smaller.

I have also seen that processing drilled holes increases the generating time of a stock model.  There have even been some instances where the stock model wouldn't generate because of some drilling ops.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/65677-stock-model/

Above link is a thread I use for reference.  I use an initial stock shape tolerance of .01 and path/tool shape tolerances both at .003 for majority of my stock models.

I had some communications with QC on the drilling issue a few months ago and It looks like it's been cleared up, but YMMV.  I still leave the threadmilling ops out of the stock model at this point, but I'm going to give them a shot in X9.

Our flagship product line, chill/vent blocks for die cast, have a bunch of close tapered ribs.  I've been been using progressively smaller high feed cutters with Surface High Speed Rest Rough, generating a stock model between each one.  Regen time can be a bit much sometimes, but it's worth it for the cycle time reduction.  I think I'm at about 25-30% of the previous programmers cycle time for the same operation.  (I've got some ideas to reduce it further when I get some free time to mess around.)