Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MORPH BETWEEN 2 CURVES BEST TOOLPATH EVER

crazy^millman

I love that toolpath! I just recently realized that my curves don't even have to be on the surface I am cutting. Has anyone tried one the curves being a point?

Jeremy, I have used it to morph from edge curves to a 015 dia to get a spiral pocket with undercuts,..

Points didn't work, because it needs to be curve geom.

What'd you use for tool axis control?

Chris that is the beauty of this toolpath. You can use whatever you want. This one toolpath has what I can see over 250 different combination of options for 3 Axis, 4 Axis and 5axis toolpaths. I am seeing this has the ultimate Swiss Army Knife of toolpaths.

• Like 1

Jeremy, I have used it to morph from edge curves to a 015 dia to get a spiral pocket with undercuts,..

Points didn't work, because it needs to be curve geom.

Now, but he can use some of the different options to get some really precise control of things. Use the Be Relative to a contact point or with surface with lead/lag he can then use side tilt definition.

I agree, This is an excellent toolpath, i tried using this to machine our screw compressors, and it is very quick to program, the only downside i had with it, is when changing my preferred tooling to high feed tools, i could not get any control on forcing the tool to cut on the leading edge.

This one is one I would love to see a sample file on and see if I can get you what you need. I think this toolpaths can do it no problem, but really would need to see an example to test it. I can send you a NDA if you would like. No charge just be neat to see if it can handle what you need like I think it will. All I would ask is you share the results of what we come up with the forum.

This one is one I would love to see a sample file on and see if I can get you what you need. I think this toolpaths can do it no problem, but really would need to see an example to test it. I can send you a NDA if you would like. No charge just be neat to see if it can handle what you need like I think it will. All I would ask is you share the results of what we come up with the forum.

It's do-able, use two arcs with the drive surf you want to cut in between.

You want to cut in 4 or 5 axis?

Whenever I teach a multiaxis class over here, I tell people that this is my favorite toolpath in the whole lot, and I use it for 80%+of all the multiaxis work I do.. I love it.

Gcode - Bull nose has been supported since X6 (I think?), it should work fine..

Compressor Sam - There's an option on your Tool Axis Control about where on the tool to cut with, and one of the options is "leading edge," That might get you on the path.. Or, you can work with Ron, and that WILL get you on the path :)

Ron - Awesome work as always, and a very cool part, thanks for sharing the vid! If I realized you hadn't seen the light earlier, I would have evangelized the benefits of Morph to you earlier :)

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

I think there is a lack of documentation available to the average user to figure out what all the different toolpath options do, and how to best create a toolpath using these options. There are a lot more options, and it can be daunting to figure out what combination of settings gives you a great toolpath.

One of the other Moduleworks Partners has more documentation.

You can get it here:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/elNJYUord0FTRTdFdzhUQw

Ron - Awesome work as always, and a very cool part, thanks for sharing the vid! If I realized you hadn't seen the light earlier, I would have evangelized the benefits of Morph to you earlier :)

Aaron no problem I like learning things. I probably got more of having it making it work than I would have seeing what might work. Parts are the litmus test for this toolpath. Impellers are one thing, but Impellers with a ring stuck on it makes life very interesting. When you are having to take a 1/4 endmill and hanging it out 4" and have it in a 9" long holder makes for some interesting sounds.

I see toolpaths like this as the tools we need to do our job more effectively. The better programmers can get the job done the better we are valued and the more value we bring to our companies or our customers if are doing my line of work. I know what I know and never like the word expert used about me, though I as graciously as I can take praise. I learn things all the time and glad to share that experience with anyone that will listen. You can't be everything to everyone, but if I can be of help to just one person on this forum then I can feel like I have done my part to share what I have been blessed to learn.

I cannot share that file, but working on something similar, because the part is a great example of modeling techniques I have developed over the years. The toolpath used was amazing how it cut and being able to go cut the underside surface and having it work the way it worked was amazing.

• Like 2

Colin - I would think there would be a good market for you to make one of your excellent pdf's with an example mcam file or two for each toolpath.

Ron - 9.9 out of 10 for the toolpath and video.

But 10 out of 10 for getting in there up close with the door open - hope you had your hard hat on :construction:

:D

:cheers:

Hi Newbeeee,

I think a subject like that is better served by making a video. I'll see what I can come up with. I do have a Multi-Axis class coming up through Eapprentice soon. I'll be covering 4 and 5 axis toolpaths, for vertical and horizontal machines, and covering all of the Multi-axis toolpaths in-depth. Our last class will focus on the Advanced Multi-axis toolpaths from Module Works.

QUOTE Compressor Sam - There's an option on your Tool Axis Control about where on the tool to cut with, and one of the options is "leading edge," That might get you on the path.. Or, you can work with Ron, and that WILL get you on the path :)

Aaron, i have tried this,but ineed to be precise in the positioning, 4mm either side of my mean value and i do not get the HIGH feeds available

i.e. with a 100 dia tool the best position on the y axis is 34mm, if i had this precise control, i could program my screw compressors in 2-3 hrs

Compressor Sam I say you can get it. What do your control lines look like? What does your control chain look like? Have your tried offsetting surfaces to the exact distance you want and then use that edge to be your control chain using the lead lag? Many items of control with this tool path and maybe just nailing it down. Aaron is very knowledgeable and might be wise to shoot off an email to your dealer asking them to get product management involved. Every success a customer has is a success for the industry as whole. We got the ignorant haters out there that think trying to destroy CNC Software is making it better, problem is they are so ignorant and full of themselves they cannot see helping each other builds our skills and abilities to be more productive at our jobs. I think of the over 60 guys I have personally trained in Mastercam and programming. I think of the 1000's of questions I have answered over the years. That is making change to me that is making a difference. Call me Captain Fanboi and Stupid for supporting Mastercam and not being Mr. negative.

I got a job to do and that is doing my best. Helping others helps me in the end because that is more work staying State Side. I make my mistakes and fall, but this toolpath and it abilities make thing I struggled with easier. If I can beat my drum and get you or others using it more then that is more shops doing that much better using something they didn't even know they have. Funny I go into shops and start running their machines at Max rpms with balanced holders and start getting into the 300 to 600 imp feed rates and people get scared. I am going to tear something up or break the machine. Then they see the speed and accuracy and quality of the part at sometimes 30% to 70% faster than they ever thought possible. That ability was there all the time, they were just not sure how to get there. We are all busy and we all have deadlines to meet. A hour of my time a week or 10 hours of my time a week trying new things helps me hone my skills. I may mess with a toolpath for weeks before I finally nail down every aspect of it, but that is what I do to better my skills.

How many of you do that to invest in your skills by testing and trying new things? You just do not understand my boss and my deadlines. Sorry, but I do understand I was a boss for many years. I have run companies and the people who make the most money have the most value. What value do you bring your company being able to cut 4 sides on a block and put 4 holes in it? Know what you know maybe not have it all figured out, but know what you know. I have not got this toolpath all figured out, but I will and I will have built a library of places I can use it. I cannot tell you how many times I have gone in a direction to only scrap it and start all over. Sucks and I hate it, but I learn. Give you a great example this week. I am working on a manifold project. I like to make fully closed bodies with none of the cross holes in the for the HST toolpaths. I could not get the fill holes to work so I went back to making my chains to do my add boss to fill in the holes. I shot off an email to QC about my issue. I got back a totally different way to do the same task. My way may have taking me an hour at most. The way I was shown was just effective and took only a minute. Guess which process is going to be my new way forward?

Blah blah blah and sorry I do not make sense sometimes, but cut me some slack I am crazy after all. Point is the more we help each other the better we all will be. The better we all are then the better this profession gets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Aaron, i have tried this,but ineed to be precise in the positioning, 4mm either side of my mean value and i do not get the HIGH feeds available

i.e. with a 100 dia tool the best position on the y axis is 34mm, if i had this precise control, i could program my screw compressors in 2-3 hrs

I sent you a PM good sir, I'd be interested in talking about this a bit more :)

Blah blah blah and sorry I do not make sense sometimes, but cut me some slack I am crazy after all. Point is the more we help each other the better we all will be. The better we all are then the better this profession gets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this got me thinking. What if we start a thread or something where everyone gives an example of how they use different toolpaths. For instances, have thread called "surface finish blend" and we all post an example of how we use that toolpath. And so on....Most of us are self taught mc programmers so all we know is what ever we figured out on our own. I think this way we can all learn different ways to use a toolpath that we might not have known. Also make sure we include all skill levels,
  • Like 3

Ron and Aaron, thanks very much for your help and advice

I did contact my reseller, and he passed this onto Karlo at CNC a while back, but i have had no response.

IT have locked everything out here so i cannot get video capture software, I have mailed Aaron in the hope he has vericut, and i can send him a sample that way

P.S. I have been using mcam for almost 30 years, and it is my favourite !!! used most of the big software systems but i always return to mcam, i just seem to be able to do the work much more easily

Alright, I've got a part I've been fighting with for way to long. Parallel cuts is lacking the adaptive cuts option and I really need that for this part.

Aaron has told me numorous times to use morph. I'm gonna give it another whack.