Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Level Manager

Level Manager  

116 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you use the Level Manager

• Yes, I use the level manager
    • No I don't use the Level Manager
    • What's the Level Manager?

I have always tried to make my files easy for the next person that opens them to understand. The problem with view sheets is I have run across a lot of people that refuse to use them, so I can't. Its a great tool for some, just doesn't work for everyone.

I like Viewsheets a lot. I use them a lot when I have multiple setups. I understand trying to share a file with a customer. but I found if I did my job file based on allot of customers to follow I would not be able to use WCS and in some case's levels and more. it is bad enough some times as you get comfortable using a version that you like the tools like say X8 and the customer wants the project done in X5 or X6. Dang I have had them ask for V9 in the last few years.

Just my two cents

Hello All!
So, I just a created this NET-Hook to give some help to all who use the same level (names) structure.

You can export a structure from an MCX to CSV and then import any time or change or whatever you want  :)

You can also add extra levels to the list during running this NET-Hook. All levels/names saved to an CSV file, using user shared folder.
FT file attached, so you can drop it onto your toolbar too.

Any comment or improvement are welcome!

If you download it and if find it's helpful, push a like on this post  ;)

THX!

I forgot to mention, after second start, it reads the CSV file at startup, so after it loads your level set, you just need to hit "Set levels to MCX" and then exit and done... ;)

Download link: https://db.tt/guimWAir

16174554115_51eb845e7c_b.jpg

• Like 2

I like Viewsheets a lot. I use them a lot when I have multiple setups. I understand trying to share a file with a customer. but I found if I did my job file based on allot of customers to follow I would not be able to use WCS and in some case's levels and more. it is bad enough some times as you get comfortable using a version that you like the tools like say X8 and the customer wants the project done in X5 or X6. Dang I have had them ask for V9 in the last few years.

Just my two cents

Jay, any chance you have created a video on view sheets to help- the ones

who have not attempted to try using them?

Hey just wanted to say thanks for all the good information. I have used the level manager since day one, but not in some of the ways I saw mentioned and I got some great ideas from the pros here. I always used to use the EA manager to separate solid, surface, wireframe, etc, and then change the colors of each 'group'. Then I might have levels for a new solid (or any 'user' created geo)  created for a certain toolpath (like omitting holes so you have a nice smooth parallel path or whatever). I never even thought to put entities from groups of toolpaths onto different levels.  :blushing:  Awesome idea, implementing this on the file I am programming now!  :thumbup:

Sticky,

What systems have you used in the past and how do they use the WCS differently?

Mostly Gibbs and Onecnc, but I've ran Esprit and HSMworks as well.

Aside from being associative to the model, the biggest thing I think is that it is apart of training, tutorials, and basic job setup when you initially setup the file. You do common sense things like if you want G54 for an offset, that is what you type in, none of this 0 or -1 bullsh1t.

When you bring in a model you set a coordinate system, just like you define your stock or anything else. It's a standard operating procedure. Look how many people here are complaining about others not using WCS, let alone levels, its nuts.

+1000

I modified most posts to use 54 for G54 and 1 for G54.1 P1. Doing contract work I have had to get back to -1 or 0 is G54. and 6 is G54.1 P1.

ours is modified for 54, 55 etc.

and for extended offsets, 541 outputs G54.1P1, 542 outputs G54.1P2 etc.

We thought we'd stay away from the 0 or 1 etc altogether.

That said (sticky), how do you set your workoffsets for non ISO machines? mcam can only have a numeric input, so the specific post has to convert the 0,1, or whatever into what the specific machine needs.

we're just spoilt with fanuc.....(or are we :ninja:)

That said (sticky), how do you set your workoffsets for non ISO machines? mcam can only have a numeric input, so the specific post has to convert the 0,1, or whatever into what the specific machine needs.

we're just spoilt with fanuc.....(or are we :ninja:)

No idea, I don't own one and haven't come across that yet.

My post is set to use extended offsets and output the offsets in the header with G10. 5401=G54, 5427=G54 J27 (extended offset), likewise for G55-G59.

+1000

I modified most posts to use 54 for G54 and 1 for G54.1 P1. Doing contract work I have had to get back to -1 or 0 is G54. and 6 is G54.1 P1.

+1 I have done the same thing in the past. What would be nice is if it was a simple drop down menu.

+1 I have done the same thing in the past. What would be nice is if it was a simple drop down menu.

It is in most other softwares, just select which offset, or type it in manually, done. Same thing with multiple parts, you enter how many parts, and which offsets you want, then all tools per parts, or one tool all parts, select the clearance plane to use between offsets, and select subs or not and bam, perfect multi part program.

Mostly Gibbs and Onecnc, but I've ran Esprit and HSMworks as well.

Aside from being associative to the model, the biggest thing I think is that it is apart of training, tutorials, and basic job setup when you initially setup the file. You do common sense things like if you want G54 for an offset, that is what you type in, none of this 0 or -1 bullsh1t.

When you bring in a model you set a coordinate system, just like you define your stock or anything else. It's a standard operating procedure. Look how many people here are complaining about others not using WCS, let alone levels, its nuts.

Haha, Sticky, you have just reminded me of one of my old pet peeves. Every time I trained a new user in Mastercam, and we got to the assigning of work coordinate numbers (G54 etc), and I showed them how to set -1, 0, 1 etc, and how it sets them to 54, 55, 56 etc, I always got this blank pause and then the same question: "But why don't I have to put 54, 55, 56 etc in the dialog"

I did the same as many here, eventually modifying posts so it was a case of inputting the WCS number as the required G code.

But, even now, it is still the same out of the box. Reminds me of the 'ol 4.11 days :)

In past versions before a control definition existed, I could understand the decision by CNC Software to not have work offsets (G54, G55 etc.) in a drop down given that there could be, and most likely are, machines that use different types of offsets.

What I don't understand is why they don't allow work offsets to be configured inside the control definition now that they have one.

In the past, the argument could be against hard coding because it would have broken existing posts, but with the addition of the control definition in newer versions it would seem that if a cross-reference table existed in the control definition Mastercam could use it when creating the NCI file.  If CNC Software changed it to work this way it would allow for a dropdown with more user-friendly options while maintaining the flexibility that has always been one of the core strengths of Mastercam as CAM system.

Anyhow I agree with the +1000's others have given for the idea of a dropdown for work offsets.

I could not live without the level manager!  I would like to see a drag and drop option however.  Select the entities you want to move to another level and drag them over the level manager and drop them into the level you want to move them to.  Not sure if this would even be possible but it would be a neat improvement and a lot less clicks. 

I could not live without the level manager!  I would like to see a drag and drop option however.  Select the entities you want to move to another level and drag them over the level manager and drop them into the level you want to move them to.  Not sure if this would even be possible but it would be a neat improvement and a lot less clicks. 

You can copy and paste, but if you do enough levels at once it will either crash the level manager, or the level manager might hide a bunch of levels or make duplicates of existing levels etc. Closing the level manager and re opening it will solve those problems.