Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stollen Hasp

chad fisher

I am just curious here, I think we might of had one of our mill keys stollen, or atleast someone here of the 6 mill guys took it home and isnt fessing up about it. Anyway is there anything you can do about it, or is pretty much a lost deal.

sim# removed thanks, Chad

[ 11-07-2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: chad fisher ]

One of the HASP's at my current job disappereared.

We had to file a police report. This is a felony,

grand theft of more than $10K.

After we filed a police report, they replaced the SIM.

This is one reason a NET HASP makes a lot of sense

if you have multiple HASP's.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

All you need to do is file a police report, contact your reseller, fax them a copy of the report and pay a "nominal" fee for a SIM replacement and you should have it soon. Sometimes a reseller can get you a temporary SIM within a day.

HTH

chad fisher , Contact your local police Like Gcode stated and get a report then contact your dealer for the lost or stollen sheets that you will have to fill out and send with a copy of the police report back to your dealer.

So you know there will be a Small fee for the new key.

I have done this with customers in the past.

Also please remove from this post the Sim #.

thanks jay

That is a good point Gcode. I never really considered the value of the software and it being grand theft and a felony.

Chad, maybe that is something you might want to circulate thru the shop... he the owners or going to file a police report on this and I heard that due to the value it is a felony... I think you would be surprised how quickly it would end up back on your desk. cool.gif

Maybe he took it home and his dog ate it. biggrin.gif

J/K but on a serious note,this is not a funny thing and I don't think your dealer can do much for you.(for free anyway)

The net hasp is really the way to go on this.

I think that management should have a "sit down" with everyone who has access to the room where the computer was,and tell them that no questions will be asked if they just return the sim.

IMO,if ya "spook" them,they may be too afraid to replace it.

[ 11-07-2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: BUCKET HEAD ]

Gcode, I know now what you mean by the net hasp. We are a large facility w/ over 3000 here, but the 18 machinist here are in our own buiding, and of the 18 there is only 6 of us that use mcam. I have got an idea, but it is only an asumption. Here is the deal

I have two keys in my office lathe/wire and a mill key. I have been on the mill key all week plus i was the last one to leave yesterday and i closed mill down when i left. This morning i came in and knew i needed the wire key, well..... went to pull the mill key out and seen the wire was already plugged in. So an hour later i needed the mill again, there is 1 guy who will come and swipe the mill key and use it on his station, so went to check and it wasnt there. Then decided to do inventory on all the keys, then started asking everyone. No one has fessed up yet so we will see monday.

Well Chad I would have someone's xxxx if it were me. i would have the police there and it would be solved today. Make them scared that is a serious matter and not be an a??hole here but I really think soemone thinks it is funny or soemthing and it is not. I dont go messing with your stuff you dont go messing with mine plain and simple. I have seen where towers were locked u pat one palce so people could steal them so make it a real pain for the guys make then check in and check out the hasp everyday and if soemone is found with a hasp that is not there see ya.

Crazy Millman

Chad

I personally would go with this approach:

Call EVERYONE together that has access to the area where the Mastercam computers are; too small of a group makes the "someone may have accidentally picked it up" speech rather unbelievable.

Then I'd lay it out like this: "We are missing a hardware key for our Mastercam spftware; here is what it looks like. If you've seen anything like this around the area please bring it to my attention. If any of you may have taken it please return it to my desk before start of business Monday. I'm not looking to hang anyone here, so if you might have grabbed it in a non-thinking moment just put it back and we'll go about our business; no questions asked. If not, we have contacted the vendor who supports this software and they have indicated that they will not replace it until we bring the police in to take a stolen property report since this software costs about $10,000 and they need to be sure we're not just trying to get a free copy.

If the key has not been returned before 7AM Monday I will need to call the police and things will be out of my hands..."

Just my approach

C

I personally asked everyone this morning and there reply was, no they didnt have it and i told my supervisor and he passed a momo out about it. So i will wait and see what happens monday morning. We are one shift only here and we have various start times. Some choose to come in 6 and i choose to come in at 7:30 so Ill see what happens. Thanks for the reply's guys! Chad

I feel your pain Chad frown.gif

Few months ago we had a whole tower with key stolen by one of the people in the toolroom.Aside from the fact it was obvious who did it (but couldn't prove it), this person became indignant when we started treating him life the theif pos that he is. Now we have great big steel computer cases that we can only access keyboard,discs and mouse.Now we have to add more fans because they overheat in warmer weather. eek.gif

Good luck finding the enemy, i hope someone "just borrowed it " rolleyes.gif

I would make anyone that could have come in contact with it take a lie detecter test. Anyone that refuses to take it , give them the boot. I like to know who is stealing from me so I would rather pay for the testing than going to sleep every night pissed off. If no one gets caught it will end up being bad for moral believe me.

Joe mad.gifmad.gif

File a police report and grill nobody smile.gif

It's not worth the suspicion or bad feelings attached to such accusations. Just reporting the theft to the police is enough to gain a report and to gain a replacement sim for a minor cost. If ever the sim shows up in somebodys possession then they could be changed with grand theft - in Canada it is theft over 5000.00 dollars (sort of very serious up here).

Future policy should be tightened to ensure that this does not happen again.

We ain't cops - I would like to believe were smarter than this. biggrin.gif

Regards, Jack

I prefer mine medium rare with a baked potato:) Your right about the hard feelings don't need that I was meaning post a reward or something and let everyone know that it won't be tolerated or some more may walk out. We just had 8 rather large discontinued aluminum molds dissapear and we found them at the reclaim facility. The guy signed for it in his name also. Said since everybody else was taking scrap little pieces that he thought it was o.k. WOW!!

Well, today is monday and still no hasp. Our security had done checked to see if anyone had accessed this building and it checked out to be the people who should of been here. Now there checking the video tape to see who had came in and out of my room. We have a good idea who did it but no way to prove as of yet. I would love to drill him but human resources and legal department would be all over me if i did. Ill keep you all updated if anything comes up