Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T.....LAYOFF!!!!!!

RStuart

The company I work for layed off 13 people about 3 months ago. They called it cutting the fat and now we are at the muscle. Then they cancelled holiday parties and such economic situations is the excuse. I don't think I will be training too many people how to do what I do for a while. Job security

I was let go a month and a half ago. Major management changes and third new owner. But the good news is I found a new job, far better then before. Iam moving this thursday and start the 24th. Its very rough out there. I sold a lot of stuff to stay afloat and unload the debt.

See you all on the other side.

Finecut

quote:

Yes, I am the only one here that can run every machine to its fullest and the only one here that knows Mastercam.

RStuart,

It looks like you're reaping the benefits of learning/knowing your job well, instead of f-ing off like the other clowns. That's why they're on the outside looking in. Best of luck to you.

Thad

[ 11-11-2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Thad ]

RStuart

I'm in the same boat I haven't bothered to train anyone how to do 3 or 4D programing.We've been on workshare for 6 months now(32 hours with unemployment insurance covering the lost day)While it helps you still can't beat a 50 hour paycheck.So far we have been able to avoid layoffs but if things don't pick up soon who knows.Hopefuly things pick up for you and everyone else for that matter.It seems like employers are using the economy as an excuse to cut their opperating budgets to the bone and expect everyone to do more work for less pay.I don't think I've had a raise in 2 1/2 years.It's got to get better soon right.

cheers.gif Noel

While I have no fears of getting laid off, I worry about the future of the company. Between now and the end of December I only have about 80 hours of work on the books to do. And considering I beat all the quoted times by at least 25% thats not alot of work. Factor in the fact that I now have 2 machines I can run at the same time comfortably and its really scary. I am not one to stand around watching a machine run when another is sitting idle given that the set-up and program have been proven. Gets boring.

I got a job as a manufacturing engineer in WI, about 1 hr north of St Paul.

So much for NAFTA. China never has played by the rules. We are the dumping ground. If you have to ask where all the money goes look what china just put up in space. WE Paid for that. Along with other things. It sure isn't going to the workers.

A lot of people are out of work and/or taking less in the paycheck at a lesser job.

Next election is the time to find the right people to put in office. If thats possible !

Finecut

My friends you must learn everything you can, You have to make yourself indespensible. Dont have the "thats not my job attitude". Its true the more you know the further you'll go.

We live in a world in which pay scales are unfair, and what I mean by that is a sanitation worker in New York City makes more money and has better benefits than most people on this forum.

I live in Connecticut and I have watched machine tool companies go out of business or move. Recently Bridgeport machines closed. Many skilled people lost their jobs

I don't worry about layoff, but I am concerned for the long term survival of the company I work for. It is family owned (Owner's sons are shop forman, wire room supr, trim die supr, and vice pres) and I am not family. I supervise the cnc mills and barley make enough here in Alabama to make ends meet. I think the only reason I am here is to take all the cr@p that nobody else wants to build. We have been fairly busy considering the economy, but the company still claims to be broke. I have machines in need of new ballscrews (.015 slop in z on one) and can't even get it done because the shop is cutting corners. I have to rough on one machine and finish on another. Sad. That being said the vice pres just moved into his new $300,000 house and the owner just added a $50,000 sunroom to his house, but nobody has gotton a raise in 2 years because of a slow economy and low sales. Go figure.

My employer just layed off 100 people yesterday and they sold our machining division with 90 machinists to a company that slashed our benifits and in 90 days will "evaluate" our salaries. Its better than being terminated but I am still looking for a new job. Any body in northern Utah need a Mastercam programer? Dan

Steve, look for another job. What you can learn there is all you'll ever take from there. If you aint family you're nothing.

About 6 guys left a company I worked for and were one-for-all-and-all-for-one for about a year. Two of them were brothers. Three years or so later, it was just like you describe, and all of the non family partners were gone. The non-family were basically used to get things going for the family guys and the sons became bosses, yada, yada...

Sorry for throwing the wet blanket. And sorry to hear Dan's news too.

[ 11-11-2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Harryman ]

All the work is going OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!!!!

And it is NOT Comming back!!

The place I get my work from layed off about 20 peeps and my buisiness is hanging by a thread...

God I hate to work like this.....Greedy Mow Mow's.....

Its a freaking WORLD economy now......

SRRY, had to vent......My piece of the pie is on a boat headed to China frown.giffrown.gif

Murlin

I work in a union shop so I must say I have been very lucky. It doesn't matter what you know or what you do just when you got hired in. So by me being the only lathe programmer doesn't mean anything when my number comes up it's time to go. I have seen a lot of good talented people go out the door and a lot of lazy people hold their jobs. At one point we had 38 people layed off in our dept. now where down to 14. It looks like thing are picking up for us. When I hired in back in 95 we were working 7 days a week 12 hours a day if we wanted now were down to 40 hrs. A big pay cut without the over time but I am lucky compared to most. I got here 4 mos. ahead of the last guy layed off. To everyone out there struggling I hope things get better for you soon.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

We just added another shift a couple of months ago. So we're up to 24-5 (two 12 hour shifts) and a Thursday - Sunday Shift (12 hours). Next year will be good. During the down-time last year we spent money in development and now we'll be reaping the rewards of that.

Not all gloom and doom everywhere, there is hope.

[ 11-12-2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]