Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Am I asking for too much????

kathy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to be a supervisor and was in charge of training cnc operators. One night after running first part told operator to go ahead and check part out and I'd be back. He said sure, which one of these marks is a 1/16"?

I told personell guy next day that I wanted to screen job applicants and ask a few questions, like "Have U ever measured anything with a rule?"

Just so you guys know, that operator turned out to be the best one I had, I just had to start at the very very beginning with him.

Jimmy

Hi Kathy,

I say give him the next job down in the company and let him work his way up. Tell him he's not ready for the position and needs otj for awhile, like a year or two. He knows computers and how to click the mouse but .....

He's not listening to you so step down or hit the door. That file naming crap is b.s. I think. He's sounds like he's milking it to me. Not Cool eek.gif

JM2C

+1 to MillMan....

quote:

Are they dumb? NO they are just intelllgent in way others are not.

Everyone is a genius at something. Some are lucky to find out what their particular genius is and be able to actually make a living at it.

Sadly, alot of people never have the right buttons pushed to find out what theirs is.

Or they know what they are good at, they just never get the chance to use it every day.

Kathey, I wasn't a great teacher by any means. the only thing I did was just be there and supply people with the chance for the creativeness inside them to come out.

Basicly I provided the place and equipment for them to learn on, and they did the rest themselves. Some of them went on to be CNC programmers in diffrent shops thus staying in the trade. Some didn't.

Murlin

[ 12-13-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

quote:

Sadly, alot of people never have the right buttons pushed to find out what theirs is.

Or they know what they are good at, they just never get the chance to use it every day.

+1000

We have a 3 year apprentice who has alot of troubles it took me half hour just yesterday to explain the tapered endmill concept to him.He never understood why cutters were made with draft.

But he is very intellegent at somestuff - History, and science.

Book smart is O.K, but Common sense is priceless.

quote:

There's never dumb questions, only dumb people.

You guys need to relax. Is the stress of the holidays getting to you? This was meant as a joke, hence the big grin. It's kind of like saying, "Don't you hate when people who THINK they know everything get in the way of those of us that DO?" It's all in good fun.

Thad

Kathy,

Thanks for the explanation. I like iowajim's suggestion.

quote:

I say give him the next job down in the company and let him work his way up.

He's not ready for programming at the level you require of him. Be diplomatic and explain to him that if he's successful in the "step-down" position he can work into the programming. Use it as an incentive for a promising future.

I was hired as a temporary programmer in one of my previous positions. I was familiar with the application (Smartcam) but not the methods of manufacturing for that particular company. They invested in me and I learned quickly and gave them a valuable return of their investment. One of their longtime employees was stated to have asked for the position before I was hired on. He was their toolroom manager, a lateral promotion from "tool maker". He wouldn't have been good for the programming postion because he was not computer literate and couldn't even setup and run their newest machine after being sent to school with my fellow programmer, who taught me how to run it as well as how they did things.

The TM as I'll call him, is great at manual fixes and minor tweaks using the manual NC machines. He should never be a programmer. He even destroyed a mini-mill insert cutter by putting it in the Bridgeport and hand-cranking it through stainless plate while "spritzing" it with a spray bottle. eek.gif The mini mill shaft sheared when we put it in the Mazak VMC to do our next job with it and that was the only one we had. mad.gif

Perhaps that's what this person needs, Kathy. The opportunity to do something to better himself and the company while not taking time away from your task. Not that my little story above is an indication of what will happen with your "trainee". I was just trying to point out that some people are not good for certain tasks but they could still be productive in other ways. Thanks for reading. HTH biggrin.gif