Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Am I asking for too much????

kathy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man oh man! This post just snowballed didn't it. I initially had one thing to say, now I could go on for hours!

1. Did you hire him? Or your boss? If your boss did, then I think priority is your work load, help him when you can, but it's always lame when you fall behind and have to blame it on having to train someone else.

2. This is a great job interview question for all the people who claim to have "experience":

If I have a 2.00 x 1.75 x 1.75 block, and I give it to you to machine in to a 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 block, how would you do it?

Answer: They should ask you what you need it for.

3. Isn't it a pain trying to train someone! I remember starting out, working in shops where the old timers never showed you anything. I figured it was because they didn't want some punk kid getting there raises. In retrospect, I think it was simply that they'd been around long enough to know if you should be in the machining industry you'd figure it out on your own.

4. There is that catch to not training him, the more he knows, the less you'll have to fix! Look at him like clay for you to mold (Cheesy expression I know!)

And finally!

5. Training, how many of you experience that whole "Hey man, I need you to teach me how to program", like a person can simply insert those skills in to someone's head! SHEESH! cheers.gif

Happy Holidays!

Hi all

Kewl-- you guys have a good team ,it's good for each member that they are still together.

Dennis ,this guy was Mr. Detail.

So back to the main topic,,

A place will hire you because of what you know,,but they still need you to make it mesh with their existing shop policies. I had enough on the ball to do the work at Gcodes place,,, and even then I was the new guy. It takes a while to learn the Tribal Knowledge of a new place,, and the veterans of that knowledge have to have the time to share(Baby-sit) it with you while they do their work. I am not convinced that most green users will be able to just show up and cut it.

Kathy If you would like you could email me and I will give the guy my cell #.

Maybe I could help him out of a jam.

Hi Chip

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My first instinct was to "Pull the trigger" on this guy. But after parsing your first post, the guy at least had the brains to ask questions. Step back for a second and think about that.

That tells me he's thinking about what is happening which is a very good thing IMHO.

As for the WCS..., it took me about a week to master it - with the help of Mastercam QC. Give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. It's difficult at first. As for Analyze... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif I must admit he should have picked up that one, but if he's really nervous... anything can happen when you're nervous.

My suggestions mirror some here, find out from your boss exactly how much training you're supposed to give the guy and what kind of allowances will/can be made for your projects and take it from there.

JM2C

I was very busy today and I am only now getting a chance to reply to this thread.

+1000 to all the positive feedback here.

Kathy,there are many people out there who really know how to blow smoke up yer a$$,and it doesn't take very long to figure them out.

Trouble is,it is usually too late,and then yer stuck with 'em.

But it is different if a person:

A- shows up everyday

B- has 1/2 a brain

C- is willing to learn

D- and has basic machining abilities

As Chris has stated,I myself know very little about surfacing,and I would be extremly hesitant about taking a job of doing mold work.

But that doesn't mean that with some good time spent,I couldn't learn it.

And I can guarantee that anyone who hired me would not be "unhappy".

And remember,I do 95% of our mill/lathe programming.

IMO,I think your Company should at least try to spend a little time with him to get a better feel for what he can do.

Another thing that always comes to my mind is that for some strange reason,as people in this trade retire or die,I don't see them being replaced with "fresh souls".

'Rekd,I do like the "going home a practice" routine! biggrin.gif

Very funny cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Another thing that always comes to my mind is that for some strange reason,as people in this trade retire or die,I don't see them being replaced with "fresh souls".

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Kathy,

I don't mean to seem negative. Just as you know the sales pitch is good for the first day. It seems to me that you expected him to know more than he is showing you and your frustration is shown.......If you (or management) hired him with the knowledge that you have to train him with your experience, then good for him. He gets something for free.

Since the first day I started work here building molds I was put to the test. though I'm not perfect. I guareentee everything I told my bosses I could produce, I had to produce.

Just like many of you say 'Hook a brother up' if he shows desire and seems to pick it up cool! If not I know 2 starving Engineers and a Draftsman that are looking for work.

Waz up scot......

cheers.gif

quote:

Go home and ractice in front of a mirror saying "Would you like fries with that, ma'am?

roflmao !!!

I kid you not, coffee came out my nose i laughed so hard .

Kathy,

My thoughts are that it's a calculated risk on the part of this young man to live up to his word. Some can ,some can't. He knows he b.s.'d his way in, the question is can he bust ars enough to convince you he's worth the risk.

I'm guessing we've all had our turn at this game. wink.gif

Give him a test :

biggrin.gif ask him if would go find the bolt stretcher in the basement for you .

good luck

quote:

ask him if would go find the bolt stretcher in the basement for you

We used to send the new guys out looking for a

"skyhook" or a metric adjustable wrench.

The smart ones would figure the wrench out quick enough, but nobody ever found a skyhook. biggrin.gif

Kathy,

I think everyone here has had to start at the bottom and work their way up. I'm sure we can all think of a few times we were lucky management chose to turn a blind eye to a stupid mistake or two.

If this guy reaches the end of probation and he's more useless than when he came in than he's just filling a position that some other hard working student should have.

If he busts his a$$ though and wants to learn than he'll probably grow into a good employee.

Keep in mind his standard for what he claims to know has only been measured against what he was taught in school. In comparison to learning by experience, school doesn't come close.

My 2c

steve

One thing that I haven't read, did he make any attempt to use other resources (help file?) before asking you for help? If he is not willing to put forth that much effort on his own, rather than tapping on other people up front, then there is a problem here. the one thing of all he should have learned is how to use those help resources. tomany times I've seen someone use others to get their job done, and then if something is wrong, it's some how not their fault. One guy swore that someone was sabatoging his programs before they ran, I tried to ignore that, so he went to the man upstairs. He wasn't smart enough to know that the system was tracking revisions and dates and times. the one thing i like most about the people in this forum, is they help those who are trying to help themselves.