Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you comment operations?

SlaveCam

Here is a screen grab of the sequence sheet. We call em Tool Maps.

Gunther is really the nice guy, for making this cool tool (X+) available to us.

I've just made some macros to control the look and feel for how we do things.

This takes 3 clicks, and filling in the template info into the X+ dialog.

I would be happy to help if needed.

The coloring is just conditional formatting based on the G54 P value in a given cell.

Pretty simple code.....

Range("E5").Select                              'select all G54 offset info to color format
    ActiveSheet.Range("E5", ActiveSheet.Range("E65536").End(xlUp)).Select
    Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlTextString, String:="P2", _
        TextOperator:=xlContains
    Selection.FormatConditions(Selection.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
    With Selection.FormatConditions(1).Interior
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .Color = 65280 'GREEN
        .TintAndShade = 0
    End With
    Selection.FormatConditions(1).StopIfTrue = False

• Like 1

^^^ What's wrong with Active Reports???

edit:- Yes only joshing about zoob. Reading what he writes here he seems a real decent guy (and I see he's looking at this thread while I type and don't want a THWAK :D)

Not a thing, probably.

I just know X+, Excel, and VBA, insde out,

and don't want to take the time to learn active reports.

I'm sure it works well for many. This isn't the only way, just the way we do it.

Twak!

• Like 2

Not a thing, probably.

I'm sure it works well for many. This isn't the only way, just the way we do it.

Twak!

I can verify that. Yes you are what I consider one of the good ones in my book and proud to call you a friend.

I have seen your work other things in the past. Like I said I wish I knew VB as well as you do.

Not a thing, probably.

Twak!

Well I have been reading and digging into the excel template provided for the past 3 hours and I have come to one conclusion, I need to learn VBA.  :pc:

Ya, Ben it's pretty mandatory for doing what our sheet does.

But it is as post and play as our programs.

Click, Click, Print. With the exceptions of pictures and such. That still needs to be screen shot (again, with Gunther's screen cap) and annotated. I still haven't automated that yet.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :cheers:

Always happy to help any way I can. Just let me know.

I will be happy to help anybody.

But cmon.... A lot of this stuff is what gives us a competitive edge.

If you are looking for good scripts, Chip Pearson has a bunch he gives away.

I actually use two of his. One is the delete duplicates. It is a must for X+, as it dumps every selected op, and often many ops use the same tool. Therefore, there will be duplicate tool info in the tool list you need to remove.

It is actually out dated, and RemoveDuplicates method works much faster and MUCH less code. But I've kept the old method in place to keep compatibility with Excel 2003 just in case.

There are all kinds of ways to skin the cat.

• Like 1

Actually, had we got into how to do it, and you needed help, you would prolly end up with most of the code. But I don't "just give out" anything. If you search the threads, you'll see a lot of my macros that I've already put up for X+.

As I said, im glad to help. But as you've seen in OT, im not much into just giving without effort on the receiver's side

• Like 1

Ya, Ben it's pretty mandatory for doing what our sheet does.

But it is as post and play as our programs.

Click, Click, Print. With the exceptions of pictures and such. That still needs to be screen shot (again, with Gunther's screen cap) and annotated. I still haven't automated that yet.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :cheers:

Always happy to help any way I can. Just let me know.

I'm sure I will hit you up for some suggestions when I learn some VBA.  I've been looking into classes already. Don't worry I'm not going to ask for your code.  :no That's like asking for someones post.

I will be happy to help anybody.

But cmon.... A lot of this stuff is what gives us a competitive edge.

If you are looking for good scripts, Chip Pearson has a bunch he gives away.

I actually use two of his. One is the delete duplicates. It is a must for X+, as it dumps every selected op, and often many ops use the same tool. Therefore, there will be duplicate tool info in the tool list you need to remove.

It is actually out dated, and RemoveDuplicates method works much faster and MUCH less code. But I've kept the old method in place to keep compatibility with Excel 2003 just in case.

There are all kinds of ways to skin the cat.

You could almost learn everything you ever needed to know just downloading all those samples from his website. Thanks for the link maybe in 20 years I will have the time to learn it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::unworthy: :unworthy: :unworthy:

You could almost learn everything you ever needed to know just downloading all those samples from his website. Thanks for the link maybe in 20 years I will have the time to learn it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing::unworthy: :unworthy: :unworthy:

Chip is a great guy. He's given a lot to the coding community. Kinda like some people here. Wouldn't be right to not give him credit.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well just ran into a situation where commenting the operation helped. On operation 196 we about had a machine crash. Vericut didn't see it because there are 2 big boxes on the side of the head that were not modeled into the machine being used for Verification. Not CG Techs fault since it was the model supplied to them, but a very good operator caught it and prevented what could have been a $250k issue. (what the part is worth) I was sent a screen shot of the problem area and was able to track it down to operation 196 because of the way and method I comment my operations. I should have all fixed in the next few hours and they will be back up and running. There are 298 operation to this point in this almost 1 gig Mastercam file. Yes I have 100's of levels and yes they are labeled as well. 

I once had to trouble shoot an old V9 file after it's creator failed to return from a cigarette run (for 3 months)

600meg file with over 700 operations... no toolpath groups.. just 700 unlabeled ops

Thankfully the levels were labeled

junk

toolpath

more toolpaths

junk

more junk

etc

etc

the guy was a brilliant programmer,, genius even, but he walked a different path.

If you had to follow that path you were in for a hard hard road

• Like 1

I once had to trouble shoot an old V9 file after it's creator failed to return from a cigarette run (for 3 months)

600meg file with over 700 operations... no toolpath groups.. just 700 unlabeled ops

Thankfully the levels were labeled

junk

toolpath

more toolpaths

junk

more junk

etc

etc

the guy was a brilliant programmer,, genius even, but he walked a different path.

If you had to follow that path you were in for a hard hard road

I know that dude... :yes: