Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you comment operations?

SlaveCam

Hello.

Just wondering how many of you put comments in the tool section of the operation? I *always* do this because it makes the project more readable and quicker to browse. However, no one else in my shop does this and I just have to add the comments afterwards.

How about you?

Some crazy guy gave me the idea to number the operations using the tool comment. That way you can quickly address what operation you need to look at when troubleshooting. I have done it ever since. 

People and their crazy ideas.

I always label my comments and have description for every operation. I have also taught anyone who has every worked me with to do the same thing.

• Like 8

I´m of the opinion that a distinguished professional is made of all these little things and best practices that the average guy considers a waste of time.

I can promptly recognize a top-notch professional just by looking at his feature tree (CAD) or his operation tree (CAM). The best guys don´t save comments and always attempt to communicate their ideas/rationale through the features / toolpaths they create. They´re organized, just like their thought.

This is by the way a very good way to assess a new candidate. Ask him to model a part or throw some toolpaths to a simple part. Give him time and by the end of the test, look at his tree. From there you will know who you are dealing with.

Not a rule of thumb of course but can give you a very good idea.

• Like 4

Cough...cough....bull puckey....maybe on your planet :)

Try sending a customer an NC file that doesn't even have Mastercam and slices and dices your NC file up with Vericut where the block numbers don't match up to yours and then he asks you to make a change on something...

Comments are manditory....and each comment needs to be unique so you can sift through 400 ops and find what needs to be modified...

• Like 3

Try sending a customer an NC file that doesn't even have Mastercam and slices and dices your NC file up with Vericut where the block numbers don't match up to yours and then he asks you to make a change on something...

Comments are manditory....and each comment needs to be unique so you can sift through 400 ops and find what needs to be modified...

Make your post output mcam op number. Then it's as easy as possible. If you can count.

I have the operation number automatically posted in a comment in the NC file and I also have it set to a macro variable (#750). This way if something isn't right at the machine the operator can check what operation is currently running (via the macro variables on the machine) and write up a quick change request form with the exact operation number and the issue.

Oh nice, I haven't thought about that. If they hit reset or don't see it go by they're lost. I'll have to sneak that in.

Oh nice, I haven't thought about that. If they hit reset or don't see it go by they're lost. I'll have to sneak that in.

It is a huge help and I added that because I was tired of operators coming into my office telling me "tool 454 is chattering" but tool 454 was used in ten operations so it would take a few cycles to identify exactly where the issue was.  This feature solved that and it has saved us a ton of time in troubleshooting.  That is the beauty of learning to write posts.  I thought of that and it was implemented on all of my machines in 20 minutes.

I could not understand how my opinion is different than yours, except for that I may have used the wrong words (Please forget my under construction English) when I said 'The best guys don´t save comments' - That 'save' was meant to say that the best guys don´t refrain to comment their work. It was meant to be related to the 'savings' word.

Sorry again if I was not able to express myself correctly.

• Like 1

OMG Yes! Label the operations somehow!!! I don't care if it is a vague description of what the tool is doing "spot small holes", just something.  :thumbup: 

I worked with a guy who did not label anything, and he even had his stuff setup so the tool number did not post at the tool change.  :thumbdown:  What a PITA to follow him ugh! This reminds me, I did an interview one time where they "tested" me on mastercam. I was programming a part, don't remember the details, except I asked him what their setup was, if the said part was being done in a 2nd op, or a fixture, machine type, etc. He told me, it doesn't matter, just program it, WTF?! I realize you could get an idea of what kind of a programmer a guy is without all the nitty-gritty details spelled out, but sheesh!  :help:

He told me, it doesn't matter, just program it

I´ve been there too. Usually these guys don´t want you to succeed in the hiring process and hide out everything from you as much as possible.

The reason they have all these traps like tool numbers messed up first place is because they fear that if they make it simple they won´t be needed anymore. Lots of questionable tricks to get things going are also common.These kind of guys have a very predictable M.O. if you ask me.

Many times shop owners and leadership have no clue about that or put up with it to keep things going.

I could not understand how my opinion is different than yours, except for that I may have used the wrong words (Please forget my under construction English) when I said 'The best guys don´t save comments' - That 'save' was meant to say that the best guys don´t refrain to comment their work. It was meant to be related to the 'savings' word.

For what it's worth, I had no idea you are esl.

• Like 1

Ahh no worries...if English isn't your primary language you do it too well...you speak better English than me rour

Make your post output mcam op number. Then it's as easy as possible. If you can count.

Well thats all fine and dandy if you are programming for "your" company or place of employment.

Like I said...send your code 2000 miles away and most of the time the NC file you write will be severely altered by the time it hits the shop floor...most everything is stripped out to save space and the only thing that is left that remotely resembles your original process is the setup sheet you supplied....that is where I number my ops, but even then I will have guys delete or add an op or 2 and renumber the setup sheet.

About the only thing that won't change is the comment on what the tool does...99% of the operators like this. I have had customers that wanted me to add print zones to my comments.

• Like 1

I have the operation number automatically posted in a comment in the NC file and I also have it set to a macro variable (#750).  This way if something isn't right at the machine the operator can check what operation is currently running (via the macro variables on the machine) and write up a quick change request form with the exact operation number and the issue.

You mind sharing that? I think I have wrapped my brain around it, but want to be sure. You can PM me if you are willing to share that.

I normally put at least a description of the operation. in shops that use them, I've taken the bubble drawing and written the bubble number of the dimension(s) that toolpath is cutting in the comment.

I like that idea, but our drawings usually get bubbled after the cnc is programmed.  I'm in the habit of writing the tool number or op#   on my copy of the drawing next to the dimensions that it cuts.

• Like 1