Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you comment operations?

SlaveCam

Some sweet åss easy one click setup sheets in active reports.

My real life email is in my profile, email me if your serious.

I don't see your email in your profile. Have you seen this thread? http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/83094-free-activereports-template-for-setup-sheets/ How does that setup sheet compare to what you have in mind? You should post in that thread if it looks like something that could be tailored to your use case.

THE big thing about all of this, is as a programmer, your job is to make the set-up guys job as easy as possible.

If you're not doing that, you're not doing your job right imo. As much clear and concise info he needs, you must supply.

If the spindle isn't turning, then you aren't earning :D

Precisely... A perfect Print has no questions asked... Same with a program..

As an operator or a programmer Knowing exactly where you are at is Critical..

Questions of either Eeek out Efficiency...

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Comments are a must and my operators expect them. The machinist are constantly proving out new programs (we do very short runs) and it helps them to know what to expect when they read (SEMI-FINISH LEAVING .005 FOR NEXT TOOL) or final dimension range like (finish id .8748-.8753).

For a shop that runs the same parts over and over the comments may not be of great help but for the small runs, of one-of's shops is a great communication tool. 

I am the only programmer for 2 shifts and I don't have a fixed schedule so I am here at different times every day and the comments eliminate a lot of the machinists unknowns when proving a program.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
fmt  "#750=" 2 op_number         #WDS 6/27/2015

psof
      op_number = opnum, e$   #WDS  6/27/2015
      pbld, n$, op_number, e$     #WDS   6/27/2015

Here are the changes I made to my post.  I also added it to the ptlchg0 (null tool change) and ptlchg (tool change) sections.

This gave me the error "Label has not been defined[15]

How do I define it?

I have the operation number automatically posted in a comment in the NC file and I also have it set to a macro variable (#750).  This way if something isn't right at the machine the operator can check what operation is currently running (via the macro variables on the machine) and write up a quick change request form with the exact operation number and the issue.

TEACH ME YOUR WAY I NEED THIS! 

that's what i hear so an so tool sucks.. which part Idk these holes I think..... We are using a .250 drill to drill about 30 different holes and holes!

TEACH ME YOUR WAY I NEED THIS! 

that's what i hear so an so tool sucks.. which part Idk these holes I think..... We are using a .250 drill to drill about 30 different holes and holes!

in the MP documentation, "working with tool operations and parameters", it details exactly how to do this.

Here it is:

format op_number (variable format section):

fmt  "#760=" 2 op_number

post op_number to macro #760 in psof, ptlchg0, and ptlchg"

op_number = opnum, e$
pbld, n$, op_number, e$

In ptlchg0 and ptlchg this is posted only if opnum<>prv_opnum

There might be a sexier or sleeker way to do it but this works and it is bulletproof.

Here it is:

format op_number (variable format section):

fmt  "#760=" 2 op_number

post op_number to macro #760 in psof, ptlchg0, and ptlchg"

op_number = opnum, e$

pbld, n$, op_number, e$

In ptlchg0 and ptlchg this is posted only if opnum<>prv_opnum

There might be a sexier or sleeker way to do it but this works and it is bulletproof.

Doesn't the "#" symbol make everything after it a comment that the post doesn't read?

Not when it is quotes.  As written the op_number variable will be posted with "#760=" ahead of it so if op_number = 21 it will post as:

#760=21

So it stores the value of 21 in macro variable 760.  760 is an arbitrary variable I picked but it could be whichever variable you wish.

in the MP documentation, "working with tool operations and parameters", it details exactly how to do this.

Ok, I uncommented this line:

if tseqno = 3, n$ = opmgr_opno

But the string wasn't defined anywhere in the post, so I created the definition in my "Misc strings" section, using the 15204 operation number parameter from the "Mastercam X9 Operation Parameter Reference"; like this:

opmgr_opno	: ""	   #15240 - Operation number

And I added this line to the pparameter$ section:

if prmcode$ = 15240, opmgr_opno = rpar(sparameter$,1)	#Operation number

Now my code is outputting the operation numbers fine. But, I'm getting these errors when posting:

21 Mar 2016 08:51:36 AM - PST LINE (590) - The left side of the formula is the wrong type (var/string)

21 Mar 2016 08:51:36 AM - PST LINE (590) - The math calculation/formula has an error

Anyone know how I can get rid of the errors?

Zeke

You are close....but I believe you got to have a number format for opmgr_opno.

so in your format section, add this..

fmt "" 4 opmgr_opno

and maybe change this

to this

opmgr_opno	: 0	   #15240 - Operation number

Awesome!

I didn't need to add or change anything in the format section, just changing:

to this

opmgr_opno	: 0	   #15240 - Operation number

Did the trick.