Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horz Programming... Center Line or Individual Work offsets

tim_h

this is strictly opinion, decisions like this are more based on application rather than preference, but in my opinion; if its one component, i like 1 offset, if its multiple components, or if things need to be able to get moved on demand, multiple offsets.

• Like 1

just one way of looking at it.

level of competence on machine (machinist- setup person- operator).

low skill level center line all the way, otherwise you will end up with unrecognizable parts.

high skill level individual offsets, they will dial it to a work of art.

• Like 2

just one way of looking at it.

level of competence on machine (machinist- setup person- operator).

low skill level center line all the way, otherwise you will end up with unrecognizable parts.

high skill level individual offsets, they will dial it to a work of art.

This question has come up many times and we've had many heated talks about this subject :)

I still stick with depends on the job and the guy working on said job.

Fairly simple part.

Lower skill level than I am used to dealing with however...

I can program it either way.

Problem is now that it is IN the machine they want it the "other" way... NATURALLY   

:wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Good time to set a standard practice. but I agree sometimes things lend themselves to exception of the set rule.

ya, sometimes I feel like a YO YO in the business of programming. if it will work and cant come up with a good reason for me to change it just run it.

na they say that would force them to do there job :ball:

• Like 2

Some conflicting statements in posts above.

Just because everything is programmed from c/r doesn't mean you have to use only one offset. By default I add separate offsets for every rotation. My g10 lines are always set to all zeroes to begin with.

I'm flexible. Always center of rotations.  :guitar:

Part zero here, I only use center of rotation for parts that are on center of the pallet and using full forth axis milling. I like when i don't have to go back to MC to check numbers to the part program, the numbers are easily calculated because they are print numbers.

• Like 1

Part zero here, I only use center of rotation for parts that are on center of the pallet and using full forth axis milling. I like when i don't have to go back to MC to check numbers to the part program, the numbers are easily calculated because they are print numbers.

So you program parts 2 different ways?

That's asking for trouble imnsho ;)

ouch

• Like 1

So you program parts 2 different ways?

That's asking for trouble imnsho ;)

ouch

No, i said we use part zero. The parts that have full 4th milling have a centerline datum. Those parts also have about 20 datums so i usually use the one that is on center.

Zero on the part, new offset for each view.  This allows the part to be run on different machines with different tombstones and vises without having to adjust and repost each time.  You don't know for sure when programming how far the part will be from the center of rotation unless it's one large part on the center of the pallet.

No, i said we use part zero. The parts that have full 4th milling have a centerline datum. Those parts also have about 20 datums so i usually use the one that is on center.

Isn't that two different ways?

But, whatever works. As long as you are comfortable, then stick with it.

Isn't that two different ways?

But, whatever works. As long as you are comfortable, then stick with it.

I a centerline datum on the part would be part zero, like i said most parts i deal with have over 20 datums. Any one of those could be "part zero" i just pick the one that makes most sense.

Some conflicting statements in posts above.

Just because everything is programmed from c/r doesn't mean you have to use only one offset. By default I add separate offsets for every rotation. My g10 lines are always set to all zeroes to begin with.

I'm flexible. Always center of rotations.  :guitar:

Yes. That is exactly what I do.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/topic/80507-handling-tombstone-programming/

You can program just about any cnc machine with mastercam, doesn't mean it's good at it.

Yeah some tools are only as good as what someone put in to use and learn them. Seen people who think a micrometer is a good C-clamp. Not sure why you bought something you think that is not good. Yet it is allowing you to run your business very well correct? We have plenty of happy customers and we only use Mastercam to program their CNC Machines. Well over 50 different brands, types and with a range of controls in just 2015. Okuma, Mazak, SNK, OKK, JOBS, HAAS, Nakamura-Tome, Hwacheon and some others. 2 Axis Lathes all the way up to triple turret Lathe with live Tooling. Mill/Turns with B, Twin Spindles and Lower Turret, 3-5 Axis HMC, 3-5 Axis VMC and couple others. We will keep helping the industry and trying to help our customers be successful at their work.

Have a great weekend.

Good for you Ron. MC still sucks compared to other cam systems for programming hmc's and mill turns. Yes mc can program those style machines, no it is not "good" at it.

Well it is good at it and you missed the point what we do is good for Manufacturing. Programming the toolpaths that remove material sucks in Mastercam? No it doesn't it is not how you were use to in another software and yet you chose to buy Mastercam over others. Customer has NX10 and it still needs Volumill to do true HST toolpaths. They went back to NX8.5 said it was more stable. If I honestly thought Mastercam was not good at doing it's job I would not be using it.

I was just interviewed about programming 5 Axis machines with Mastercam. Person asked me how that was possible they only thought t was good for 3 and 4 Axis work. I said yeah we change that mind set quite a bit. 

• Like 2