Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Grob & Hypermill

Have a customer with one of the Universal 550 machines. Will be programming it using Mastercam and have got the post and machine simulation setup for it as well. Due to customer restrictions we cannot share what we are doing. Yes very cool machine and really dig the 840D control. The machine has the Lathe Tool option keeping the tool normal to the cut. Can run lathe tools at 800 rpm and it will keep the tool normal to the cut.

Been programming a JOBS with the 840D and been very impressed with that control and what I have been able to do.

• Like 1

See, 840D for all you haters.

very strange looking code...

but the controls are impressive.

a good operator has much power in their hands.

I did a webex a few years ago. They were saying you could swap programs from different machines.

I.e. knuckle head to trunnion, IIRC. With TRAORI i guess it makes sense.

never tried it, but sounds impressive.

Depending on manufacture, you can without any changes. I set all retracts to use Grob manufacturer variable. So retracts looked like: G53G90G49Z=Z_HOMEPOS and so on. I used machine parameters to identify machine and set max rpm, I'd pallets, call different prob cycles. It's amazing what you can do.

Ron, you got the hang of DEF REAL RONS_VARIABLES yet?

If some one likes macro b, theyd have a perpetual chubby for Siemens programming.

I always did.

Yes that is what I was talking about. Pretty wild to watch in person. The did the turn key and very impressive work they do. The OKK HM series machines can do this also. I had heard about doing this, but had never seen it. I have a good idea how to program it like we do with B Axis currently on Mill/Turns. Program for a Ball Endmill that is the size of the Radius of your lathe tool and then use Curve 5 Axis to make the code. Then use a switch in the post to turn it into a turning toolpath. See the same approach here as the SOFTTURN CYCLE is just that kind of code out of HYPERMILL. No dedicated programming process I saw just make code from something different and convert the code to do the work.

Yes that is what I was talking about. Pretty wild to watch in person. The did the turn key and very impressive work they do. The OKK HM series machines can do this also. I had heard about doing this, but had never seen it. I have a good idea how to program it like we do with B Axis currently on Mill/Turns. Program for a Ball Endmill that is the size of the Radius of your lathe tool and then use Curve 5 Axis to make the code. Then use a switch in the post to turn it into a turning toolpath. See the same approach here as the SOFTTURN CYCLE is just that kind of code out of HYPERMILL. No dedicated programming process I saw just make code from something different and convert the code to do the work.

I think the problem is only in sync speed with feed

I really dig the axis layout on those machines. I've always wondered what they are actually like long term though. Are they accurate, rigid machines for the long haul? The welded frames and Z axis construction makes me wonder.

They use them very heavily in automotive plants. Will set up a couple 100 machines and run just one part day in day out. The are known for the special, but have the universal machines that are getting some good traction in the states. Expensive machines compared to traditional trunnion high end machines. They are a world class organization and they stand behind their work 100%.

• Like 1

We have a loaner G350 that runs pretty much continuously. The guy that programs it loves it. We just got two more G550's installed a couple weeks ago. I know they are about to be put into service. And we've got a bunch more of them showing up. Six? Eight?

One thing that I'm super impressed with is the layout of the machine. I love that the spindle is horizontally mounted, and only has the Z axis on the spindle side. It fully retracts into the machine housing for tool changes, so the tool change doesn't occur inside of the work envelope. Also, the mounting of the trunion makes the table and rotaries super flexible. When machining, the table actually has a ton of Y travel, which allows you to raise the table up above the spindle, then rotate the B axis 180 degrees, so the fixture and part hang upside down. This gives maximum chip removal capabilities. They are sweet machines.

• Like 1