Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

prefered file type

Agree, We have Solidworks and ProE and always prefer the native file.  Solidworks seems to play a little nicer with Parasolid but STEP works well also.  For the record, I prefer ProE and we only have Solidworks because some of our big customers use it and it saves a lot of hassle having the same platform in house.  I think ProE is a little more robust.

• Like 1

Do you guys think its worth the money to buy the creo translator. The 2 major softwares out here are creo and solidworks. Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

CREO?? Are they still in business?

If you can get clean translated files in a good format, not iguess, I would say no, don't bother

Seriously?

I think they go far beyond what you have in mind about them. Way far.

I have not seen a single PTC product in years in any company I have been in ......just my observation

I prefer STEP. Not much experience with parasolid or sldprt files.

By they way, what's the difference between STEP and .STP?

Nothing

Step is just how people refer to stp files

I wonder if that's because cad software X was able to save as STEP 

and cad software Y was able to save as .stp?

Don't know, but it makes me believe that there might be more to it than just someone calling a .stp file a step file.

Don't know, but it makes me believe that there might be more to it than just someone calling a .stp file a step file.

Same thing with iges & igs

Same file different extension

That's it

I run X_B or X_T when ever possible

Mastercam licenses the parasolid kernel for Siemens and that's what Mastercam solids run on

I've found parasolids give me fewer troubles that step does.

I will typically do my design work in Solidworks , then export to Mastercam as a parasolid

An interesting side note

X_B stand for binary

X_T stands for text....  you can actually open a X_T file in a text editor

I guess it you were a super genius, you could write solid models in a text editor :laughing:

• Like 1

I have not seen a single PTC product in years in any company I have been in ......just my observation

Having used both for years I prefer ProE by far, it is a better product.  Too bad their customer service was non existent.  With companies like that customers relish the chance to jump ship and switch platforms, it is their only true recourse.