Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows 10 silly issue with "Edit Common Parameters"

jaydenn

Ok,

I can't read any of the text in the dialog box. See attached.

Back in the day, windows let you change anything you want, but I cannot seem to find any thing on 10.

As soon as I put a checkmark in the box, that one item becomes visible. Any ideas on how to change these colours?

can't see.bmp

• Like 1

It's the same for me on windows 7. There was a thread once (can't remember if it was here or the mastercam site) that stated there were 11? different looks that you could manually change. I pretty sure that was X7. I did it and it worked nicely but it either didn't work in X8 or I didn't change it correctly.

Just curious, what happens if you check one of the boxes? Does the text appear when it "wakes up?"

on machines where the text is not visible, it becomes visible

on my machine where the text is dim, it becomes brighter

It doesn't make sense to me why everything is grayed out in the first place. There is already a checkbox that shows what is enabled and what isn't, graying them out is just redundant fluff from a UX perspective. Now that fluff is causing a problem.

With such limited contrast between text and button color in the grayed out state, it's very likely causing issues for people with accessibility needs as well.

• Like 1

I have non standard fonts and colors set in Windows

I had my Win7 Windows theme set to light grey colors to releave eye strain

I do not have this issue now that I've upgraded them machine to Win10

In Win 7 I made the adjustments at

Control Panel/Personalization/Windows Color and Appearance/Advanced Appearance Settings

I have no idea where these settings might be found in Win10

The best solution to this issue so far in Windows 10, is to change to the "High Contrast - White" Theme.

Go down to the Windows Search Bar, and type in "Theme". Click on the "Themes and related settings" (system settings) option.

This opens the "Personalization" menu, set to the "Themes" option in the Tree. Click on "Theme settings".

In the dialog box, scroll down to "High Contrast Themes", and pick the "High Contrast - White" Theme.

These are the only "Signed" Themes by Microsoft, and the only ones allowed under "default Windows 10", so everyone has these options. A user that is an Administrator could also use the "get more themes online" option, and browse for additional options...

Note: if you go to the "Ease of use" options, there is a Check Box for "enabling High-Contrast Themes", which uses "left ALT", "left SHIFT", and "Print Screen". This will pop up a dialog, asking if you want to switch to High-Contrast Mode. Say yes, the change happens, then use "Edit common parameters".

When you are done, press "left ALT", "left SHIFT", and "Print Screen", and your Theme will reset to the last theme you used. This is great, because I downloaded a really cool "New Zealand - West Coast" Theme, and I'd really hate to loose my sweet settings, just to see a particular dialog box. So it is nice to be able to switch back and forth easily...