Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The New 2017 Interface

The New 2017 Interface  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Does the new interface help your work flow?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unchanged
    • Undecided

So am I going to have to put every single function I use on the RMB in order to access it in a reasonable amount of time?  You're not actually defending the ribbon bar, you're saying how you can work around it.

Sometimes "new and innovative" is not better.  Try designing a new user interface for a hammer.  The stick-shaped handle works pretty well.  Maybe you can make it stronger and a little more comfortable, but those are refinements.  You can't make a significantly different interface because it's already pretty well optimized.  The ribbon bar is like putting the handle right on the back of the head with no offset.  It's much easier for a noob to hit the target with it, but the speed and power is very limited and the experienced user will be handicapped by it.

That said, if you want the ribbon bar that's just fine, just let me turn it off and use dropdown menus by keystroke.

• Like 1

It's much easier for a noob to hit the target with it, but the speed and power is very limited and the experienced user will be handicapped by it.

I don't find any limitation in power?  and I'm most certainly no noobie....

You mind is like a parachute...it only works when it's open   :)

If you think it's bad, it'll be bad...if you say I have to adapt, guess what, you'll adapt....

Like I said, V9 to X...everyone who complained was flat out wrong.....software changes, hardware changes, life changes, equipment changes, change is constant, things move on.....

move on with them or risk being left behind

So am I going to have to put every single function I use on the RMB in order to access it in a reasonable amount of time?  You're not actually defending the ribbon bar, you're saying how you can work around it.

Sometimes "new and innovative" is not better.  Try designing a new user interface for a hammer.  The stick-shaped handle works pretty well.  Maybe you can make it stronger and a little more comfortable, but those are refinements.  You can't make a significantly different interface because it's already pretty well optimized.  The ribbon bar is like putting the handle right on the back of the head with no offset.  It's much easier for a noob to hit the target with it, but the speed and power is very limited and the experienced user will be handicapped by it.

That said, if you want the ribbon bar that's just fine, just let me turn it off and use dropdown menus by keystroke.

Depending on the size of your monitor, you can add 30 to 50 commands to the QA toolbar and access them with one click.

Then minimize the ribbon bars and you're very close to X9

The icons are a little small for my taste, but if that's the only drawback

For others that don't know, the quick access toolbar (QAT) icon size is a Microsoft limitation, and not in Mastercams control.

However, in searching the interweb, I've come across this to increase the Menu size.
Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization\Window Color and Appearance

Select the link for Advanced Appearance Settings
Under the Item drop-down box, select "Menu"

Then play around with increasing the Font size and menu size. You don't have to do it much.
Cheers
  • Like 2

Like I said, V9 to X...everyone who complained was flat out wrong.

I disagree.  I've been using X since X4, and I still miss the v9 interface.  It was simply faster and more efficient.  About a year ago I was messing with an old v9 install, and after getting back in practice I was faster with it than in X9.

I understand that what's most efficient for one person is likely not what's most efficient for another, but that's why we need customization.  Let me carve the grip on the hammer to fit my hand rather than forcing me to retrain my hand to fit the latest fad design.

• Like 1

As long as the C-Hook or NET-Hook has a matching FT file with it that exposes functions you will see them under "customize ribbon", select the option "commands not in the ribbon" and search for it in the list of functions displayed, once you find it select it and click the "Keyboard shortcuts" customize button to assign a shortcut command.

The attached image shows my test NET-Hook function "System Directories Example" that I can set a key bind too.

For x6 and x7 i was able to put a chook  (viewfit) in the dll and chook folder and assign

a keyboard shortcut. ctrl 1,2,3,4 for the 4 views. (Since the chook was made in X2 i have

never used the alt 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 method) :)

It doesnt appear that I can do that now, as it does not come up in the catagories like x7

Unless i just cant find the way to do it.

Does anyone know how to do this?

view%20fit_zpsytjwnqy1.png

post-4901-0-81452100-1469575969_thumb.png

I'm curious, any users here that don't like the 2017 interface use any different softwares? I have not used 2107, not on maint.  :thumbdown:  However, I watched a couple vids and the interface to me looks very much like Autocad 2017 and Inventor 2015 & 2016. I have not been on Autocad for a while so I am still getting used to Acad 2017, but I don't think it is bad... well not the interface part.  :fun: Pretty much the same with Inventor, I don't find it so hard to navigate, although it is very different than Mastercam...

.....you will learn, new habits and routines that will in the end work better

Just because you'll get used to something doesn't make it better. Say, for instance, that for the next interface update, you have to double click on everything to select it. You have to double click on icons, you have to double-right click to get your RMB menu up, etc. After all, when you open any file on your computer you have to double click it. This new double click interface will feel more comfortable to you since you're used to double clicking. No more worrying about having to single click an icon but then double click a file...it's so confusing! Now you just double click everything! See how trendy we are?!? It's easier!

Now, will everyone get used to double clicking everything? Sure they will.

Dude #1: "I don't like the new double click interface. It adds an extra click to everything I do!"

Dude #2: "Hey, the double click is here to stay. Get on board with it or get left behind!"

But it still sucks!

• Like 3

Right click in the tool bar are >> Choose customize Quick Access toolbar >> on the left click context menu

In the middle of the 2 windows there is an Import button, click that, change the file type to workspace

Navigate to your X9 workspace file and click on it to load

Right click in the tool bar are >> Choose customize Quick Access toolbar >> on the left click context menu

In the middle of the 2 windows there is an Import button, click that, change the file type to workspace

Thank you JParis!

I wouldn't have thought to look there!

Thad, this is truly not rhetorical but you can indeed make all those Winblows© double clicks change to single clicks in the Control Panel©.

I know Jeremy, I was just using a silly example that was just as silly as the justification given for the change.

Mastercam now has 300 commands. If you put all 300 icons on the screen, your toolbars would fill the screen and there wouldn't be much room left for your graphics window. Therefore, we're getting rid of toolbars.

Really? Have you ever seen anyone who had every MC icon on their screen? EVER??? How effing stupid!

We decided to use the ribbon bar interface because you're already familiar with it from using other software. It will be more seamless.

You want it to look familiar? Then don't effing touch it! Make it look like Mastercam. THAT'S what we're familiar with! What were the other options that you were considering emulating? Facebook? They have over 1.5 billion users. Everyone must be familiar it!

Sheesh.

Time to move on.

• Like 3

My bad, I figured you knew that but sometimes we include real irritations in our exaggerations.

I started with solid works in 2004 and used Edgecam from 07 to 11. Used inventor from 11 to 14 and used solid edge for the last two years. I've had my own seat of allibre and visual mill since 06. I prefer the new interface. When we got the demo of mcam it was x7 then we bought x8. I was feeling overwhelmed at all the buttons on the default x7 interface. Then I customized x8 to have about a fourth of the buttons. I always used the drop down menus. I haven't counted clicks but I bet money I click less in 2017 than x9. If I had to go back to x9 my feelings would be hurt as would my butt. Not to mention pretty much every gripe I had is gone and I like the new graphics. Right now, my only gripe is the dang level manager scrolling back to the top every time I click.

I know Jeremy, I was just using a silly example that was just as silly as the justification given for the change.

Mastercam now has 300 commands. If you put all 300 icons on the screen, your toolbars would fill the screen and there wouldn't be much room left for your graphics window. Therefore, we're getting rid of toolbars.

Really? Have you ever seen anyone who had every MC icon on their screen? EVER??? How effing stupid!

We decided to use the ribbon bar interface because you're already familiar with it from using other software. It will be more seamless.

You want it to look familiar? Then don't effing touch it! Make it look like Mastercam. THAT'S what we're familiar with! What were the other options that you were considering emulating? Facebook? They have over 1.5 billion users. Everyone must be familiar it!

Sheesh.

Time to move on.

Hey Thad, Mick From CNC Software RE-created the View-fit c-hook to a net-hook for 2017.

if interested, here it is.

download the zip file attached, put it in a folder on your desktop, make sure they are not

blocked(read only) then copy to c-hooks folder on C:programfiles/mastercam2017/chooks.

view%20fit_02_zpsaf443dqg.pngViewFit_NETHook.zipViewFit_NETHook.zip

Rickstrap out ;)

• Like 1

"The first [reason for changing the interface] is that our resellers keep telling us that they want a modern looking software to be able to sell." - Meghan West

I just did a rough estimate, and I think I've logged around 40,000 hours in Mastercam give or take.

40 hr week avg. X 52 weeks x 20 years.

"The first [reason for changing the interface] is that our resellers keep telling us that they want a modern looking software to be able to sell." - Meghan West

I just did a rough estimate, and I think I've logged around 40,000 hours in Mastercam give or take.

40 hr week avg. X 52 weeks x 20 years.

Time for a vacation , Matt.  You've earned it. :whip:  :coffee:

Hmmm, only just got round to trying this and nothing happens..

I'm trying to load a workspace as you did in X9.....Settings ->Load Workspace, so you can have different work spaces for different jobs, if you want.

Can this be done in 2017?

Sorry if this is a little off topic